Straight edge razor in carry on baggage?

Old November 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Ken Litwak

Default Straight edge razor in carry on baggage?

I was just looking at the rules that say I can't bring a straight
razor. Is that referring to the kind of razor that has a long blade
that a barber might use, or your typical Gillette Trac II-type razor
that has a tiny blade about an inch long and maybe 1/8 of an inch wide?
The first of those I can understand, but not the second. My little
razor would make a lousy weapon.
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

Ken Litwak wrote:

I was just looking at the rules that say I can't bring a straight
razor. Is that referring to the kind of razor that has a long blade
that a barber might use, or your typical Gillette Trac II-type razor

It refers to the foldable razors you saw in the movies, and not to either
safety razors or their blades. Cartridge razors are also OK.
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Ken Litwak

James Robinson wrote:
Ken Litwak wrote:

I was just looking at the rules that say I can't bring a straight
razor. Is that referring to the kind of razor that has a long blade
that a barber might use, or your typical Gillette Trac II-type razor

It refers to the foldable razors you saw in the movies, and not to either
safety razors or their blades. Cartridge razors are also OK.

Thanks much. I've never tried to plan to avoid checked luggage like
this before.

Ken
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Nov 13, 7:21*pm, James Robinson wrote:
Ken Litwak wrote:
* *I was just looking at the rules that say I can't bring a straight
razor. *Is that referring to the kind of razor that has a long blade
that a barber might use, or your typical Gillette Trac II-type razor

It refers to the foldable razors you saw in the movies, and not to either
safety razors or their blades. *Cartridge razors are also OK.

I would check this. On a recent domestic flight in the UK, I was not
allowed to bring a cartridge razor. (I was also prevented from
bringing shoe polish, since apparently this is a liquid!)
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

Ken Litwak wrote:

*I was just looking at the rules that say I can't bring a straight
razor. *Is that referring to the kind of razor that has a long
blade that a barber might use, or your typical Gillette Trac
II-type razor

It refers to the foldable razors you saw in the movies, and not to
either safety razors or their blades. *Cartridge razors are also OK.

I would check this. On a recent domestic flight in the UK, I was not
allowed to bring a cartridge razor. (I was also prevented from
bringing shoe polish, since apparently this is a liquid!)

That's a good point. The rules can vary around the world. What I quoted
were the US rules.

Here is the info on the Heathrow web site for razors:

"Razors that have the blade set into a plastic moulding are allowed, but
razors that can be opened and the razor blade removed are prohibited"

That means safety razors are prohibited in hand baggage in the UK, but
allowable in the US. Cartridge razors are OK in either country.

Paste shoe polish (not liquid or cream) and things like stick deodorant
(not gel) are borderline. Most airports in the US won't give you any
problem with them, though I saw a person cautioned about his deodorant at
one airport, indicating it should be considered a liquid, but they ended
up letting it pass.