"Good" or "bad" neighborhoods in Chicago?

Old September 6th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Uwe Schwertfeger

Default "Good" or "bad" neighborhoods in Chicago?

Hi there,

I am wondering if there is any reliable way to find out about certain
spots in Chicago in terms of "good" or "bad" neighborhood. Any unbiased
info about that on the net that one could check before actually
traveling there? The spot in question is the area around Artesian Ave,
IL 60632.

Thanks a lot

Old September 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Łą$„

"Uwe Schwertfeger" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am wondering if there is any reliable way to find out about certain
spots in Chicago in terms of "good" or "bad" neighborhood. Any unbiased
info about that on the net that one could check before actually
traveling there? The spot in question is the area around Artesian Ave,
IL 60632.

Thanks a lot

As usual, the best way to seperate fact from fiction isn't asking questions
on this newsgroup or doing "research" in some musty, old library. The best
way to learn about the dangerous places in Chicago is to visit your local
video store and rent the movie "Candyman". If you want the "facts", you
just gotta hit the vids.

Old September 8th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Dennis McClendon

Uwe Schwertfeger wrote:
I am wondering if there is any reliable way to find out about certain
spots in Chicago in terms of "good" or "bad" neighborhood. Any unbiased
info about that on the net that one could check before actually
traveling there? The spot in question is the area around Artesian Ave,
IL 60632.

American streets are often many kilometers long, so it would be helpful
to know the first two digits of the address. The ZIP code you mention
covers several different neighborhoods. In the north it is a
working-class Mexican (and Eastern European) neighborhood. Though there
is probably some gang activity, I would not hesitate to walk through in
day or early evening. At the south is a poorer African-American
neighborhood where I would be more concerned about street crime.

You can find recent crime statistics by entering the address at
http://12.17.79.6/ctznicam/ctznicam.asp?cmd=addr
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Uwe Schwertfeger

Dennis McClendon schrieb:

You can find recent crime statistics by entering the address at
http://12.17.79.6/ctznicam/ctznicam.asp?cmd=addr

Thanks for that URL. Would you suggest any name and adress from a really
rough neighborhood in Chicago and another one from a pretty save area,
so that I enter them also to be able to compare figures of Artesian Ave
to them?

Thanks again

Old September 11th, 2004, 05:41 PM
eric h

In article ,
Uwe Schwertfeger wrote:

Thanks for that URL. Would you suggest any name and adress from a really
rough neighborhood in Chicago and another one from a pretty save area,
so that I enter them also to be able to compare figures of Artesian Ave
to them?

Rough neighborhood: 3600 W. Roosevelt
Boringly safe neighborhood: 2000 N. Lincoln

What's your interest in the area? Planning an extended stay?

--
---
"Wake Up, Everybody."--McFadden/Whitehead/Carstarphen