Big Sur: where to stay?

Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
- Bobb -

Default Big Sur: where to stay?

"tabletop joe" wrote in message
m...
Just drove back down PCH from Pacifica to San Luis Obispo, and loved
the drive through Big Sur. What's the least expensive inn or lodge to
stay at near Big Sur? Does anyone have any recommendations they can
share?

Thanks...

-------------------
For me it's the ride I like so I always end up at either the top or the
bottom of the ride , so - depending if you're heading north or south :

At the north end, in Seaside there's a Doubletree $200/nt (fancy) Holiday
Inn express ($100) and a Comfort Inn ($75 online) - all on Del Monte Blvd .
If you stay there, eat at the Monterey Fish House. 2114 Del Monte Avenue.
(just south of DelMonte and Rt 1) Excellent food - reasonable prices.

Also at the north end - In Carmel - stop at the Chamber Of Commerce (next to
the Hog's Breath ) and see if any deals that day. I just came back - I got
a room at the COACHMAN'S INN for $89. Fireplace in the room etc - real
nice.

At the southern end of the drive, I stay at the Best Western near Hearst
Castle ~$85/night
The biz card shows "Cavalier Oceanfront Resort" . Firepits on the ocean at
night. The restaurant is excellent - save room for the apple pie for
dessert.

Old April 24th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Alan S

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:51:53 -0400, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

"tabletop joe" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Two years ago, March '03:

Carpinteria: Casa de Sol; lumpy bed, seedy, $46.

San Luis Obispo: Ramada, $52, excellent comfortable room
but woken early with renovation work on the stairs outside.

Monterey: Travelodge, using a voucher found in a local
tourist brochure $39. Standard Motel room, good pool.

San Francisco: Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, pre-booked via
Priceline.com, $60 (car parking $30).

Sounds like prices may have risen:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Icono Clast

"tabletop joe" wrote
Just drove back down PCH from Pacifica to San Luis Obispo,

No, you didn't. You never touched the Pacific Coast Highway on that
drive. Scores of signs told you you were on the Cabrillo Highway. Pay
attention.

- Bobb - wrote:
eat at the Monterey Fish House. 2114 Del Monte Avenue.
(just south of DelMonte and Rt 1) Excellent food - reasonable prices.

Oh, yeah! Since discovering it a few years ago, haven't had dinner
elsewhere in Monterey.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net