News Alert: United, US Airways to charge $15 for first checked bag

Old June 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Ablang

Default News Alert: United, US Airways to charge $15 for first checked bag

Friday the 13th will be remembered as a dark day for travelers, with
two major airlines adding new baggage fees and cutting perks in the
past 24 hours.

1) United to charge $15 for first checked bag

United's policy applies to tickets purchased on or after June 13 for
travel on or after August 18. Yes, the fee takes effect today, just
one
day after its announcement.

Click: http://rd.smartertravel.com/?r=unitedbaggagefee

2) US Airways to charge for all checked bags, drinks

In addition to the baggage fee, US Airways will also begin charging
for
soft drinks. And that's only the beginning.

Click: http://rd.smartertravel.com/?r=usairwaysbaggagefee

- The SmarterTravel.com Team
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
jessica_smith_nyc

I wonder how much they will charge for the can on soda? I think it
would have been better if they included the beverage service in the
airfare..........like I assumed it already was.

---
http://www.moviesitearchive.com/travel

Old June 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Doe[_2_]

jessica_smith_nyc wrote:
I wonder how much they will charge for the can on soda? I think it
would have been better if they included the beverage service in the
airfare..........like I assumed it already was.

One article I read mentioned $2.00 for bottled water, and alchoolic
drinks going from $5 to $7.

I assume that soft drinks would be $2.00 too.

Will airport shops sell those for more ?

In the end, Southwest will be considered a luxury airline.
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:28:27 +0200, "Runge12"
wrote:

It was, now they charge twice...

No they charge once for the soda and once for increased fuel costs.

Old June 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Jeff" wrote:
"jessica_smith_nyc" wrote:
I wonder how much they will charge for the can of soda?

$2.00

I think it would have been better if they included the beverage
service in the airfare..........like I assumed it already was.

In olden days, there were many things included in the airfare,
like hot meals... Yes, they actually served something that
approximated real food, and soda was unlimited. You can
expect to pay for many more "optional" things in the future,
like carry-on luggage, a cushion for your chair, the overhead
light, and use of the restroom.

On our last flight, my wife asked for a pillow, and it was all
the attendant could do not to giggle. Maybe they'll make a
come-back as a rental item.

Old June 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:56:14 -0400, "Rog'"
wrote:

"Jeff" wrote:
"jessica_smith_nyc" wrote:
I wonder how much they will charge for the can of soda?

$2.00

I think it would have been better if they included the beverage
service in the airfare..........like I assumed it already was.

In olden days, there were many things included in the airfare,
like hot meals... Yes, they actually served something that
approximated real food, and soda was unlimited. You can
expect to pay for many more "optional" things in the future,
like carry-on luggage, a cushion for your chair, the overhead
light, and use of the restroom.

Ridiculous. None of these will be charged for and I just traveled on
Continental and got a free meal and unlimited sodas, so you're not
close to the truth.

On our last flight, my wife asked for a pillow, and it was all
the attendant could do not to giggle. Maybe they'll make a
come-back as a rental item.

Funny, I had those on Continental too.
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"John Kulp" wrote:
"Rog'" wrote:
In olden days, there were many things included in the airfare,
like hot meals... Yes, they actually served something that
approximated real food, and soda was unlimited. You can
expect to pay for many more "optional" things in the future,
like carry-on luggage, a cushion for your chair, the overhead
light, and use of the restroom.

Ridiculous. None of these will be charged for and I just
traveled on Continental and got a free meal and unlimited
sodas, so you're not close to the truth.

Continental does seem to be holding out for a modicum of
passenger comfort. But I was referring to USAir and other
airlines who, instead of charging fares sufficinet to provide a
decent level of service and stay in business, are resorting to
nickle+dime fees, while treating us as sardines in their flying
Greyhound buses.

Old June 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"John Kulp" wrote in message
Ridiculous. None of these will be charged for and I just traveled on
Continental and got a free meal and unlimited sodas, so you're not
close to the truth.

The subject line says US Air. The article says US Air and United. Nothing
about CO.

Pleas try to keep up.