Airports near Florence, SC???

Old July 20th, 2008, 06:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

Default Airports near Florence, SC???

Hi all

I may have the opportunity to go the championship game for the
American Indoor Football Association in Florence, SC. My local time
just won the western conference and is scheduled to play in
championship game in Florence. I know at this last minute the fares
are going out of this world, but thought I might splurge. Just
wondering other than the airport in Florence if there where and any
other choices in the area. I was hoping to fly in this coming Thursday
and then fly home (CPR - Casper, WY) nest Sunday.

Thanks
M. Graham

Old July 20th, 2008, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

wrote in message
Hi all

I may have the opportunity to go the championship game for the
American Indoor Football Association in Florence, SC. My local time
just won the western conference and is scheduled to play in
championship game in Florence. I know at this last minute the fares
are going out of this world, but thought I might splurge. Just
wondering other than the airport in Florence if there where and any
other choices in the area. I was hoping to fly in this coming Thursday
and then fly home (CPR - Casper, WY) nest Sunday.

Thanks
M. Graham

How about FLO (which is Florence SC)? Otherwise Charlotte NC or Columbia
SC.

Old July 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Paul Roberge

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

wrote in message
Hi all

I may have the opportunity to go the championship game for the
American Indoor Football Association in Florence, SC. My local time
just won the western conference and is scheduled to play in
championship game in Florence. I know at this last minute the fares
are going out of this world, but thought I might splurge. Just
wondering other than the airport in Florence if there where and any
other choices in the area. I was hoping to fly in this coming Thursday
and then fly home (CPR - Casper, WY) nest Sunday.

Thanks
M. Graham

How about FLO (which is Florence SC)? Otherwise Charlotte NC or Columbia
SC.

Or perhaps Myrtle Beach, SC, which I would
guess is roughly the same driving distannce from Florence
as Columbia. If you are going to look into
connections through Charlotte, you might as
well also check what is available to Charleston.

P.

Old July 21st, 2008, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

On Jul 20, 1:01*am, yod-yog+ais "d?g
wrote:
On 7/19/2008 10:56 PM ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

*Just
wondering other than the airport in Florence if there where and any
other choices in the area. I was hoping to fly in this coming Thursday
and then fly home (CPR - Casper, WY) nest Sunday.

Columbia is about an hour and a half away, but you probably won't do
any better fare-wise, and you might do even worse. *Even further away
are Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta. *No matter where you go, fares
won't be much batter, and may be even higher than CPR-FLO. *Part of
the reason is that fares from CPR are just plain expensive; my home
airport is much farther away from your destination than yours, and
I could fly to Florence, SC for a bit more than half of what you'll
have to pay on the same dates. *Hell, for not a great deal more than
your CPR-FLO fares (or CPR-CAE), I could fly to _Europe_.

Agreed. Over the past few years the airlines have increased their
fares to and from Casper by leaps and bounds. This is due in part to
the economy. Our economy is doing very well, especially the minerals
and energy sectors. This industries can afford to pay for high priced
tickets and often buy very expensive one-way tickets at the last
minute for their employees. Then a few weeks or a month later they
then again buy another expensive one-way ticket to get the employee
back home.

The airport just did a leakage study that showed that leisure
passengers were often driving to other airports like RIV or GCC to
save some money. They then provided the airlines with the information.
The airport then told the airlines that if felt that they could lower
their advance ticket prices, as their planes were not leaving Casper/
Natrona County International Airport full. They also said that would
not have much effect on the price that could charge for the last
minutes tickets bought by the energy/minerals industry. The airlines
did agree to lower some advance purchase fares and many of these fares
ended up being lower those at other airports in region such as Rapid
City, SD and Billings, MT. Even after that most fares out of Casper
are still high compared toother airports like Denver (which I
sometimes chose to fly out of), but not always with the introduction
of service by Allegiant Air to Las Veags.

M. Graham
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

wrote in message
[...]

Just looking to see what alternatives there are to FLO.

M. Graham
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jeff[_16_]

wrote in message
On Jul 20, 1:01 am, yod-yog+ais "d?g
wrote:
[...]

The problem is not only CPR but also at the other end. All 3 cities
(Casper, Florence, Columbia) are generally served by regional airline
affiliates of the majors (i.e., United Express, Delta Connection, US Airways
Express, etc.). THAT's why the fares are so high compared to hub cities or
other city pairs served by low cost carriers.

Old July 28th, 2008, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Brian K wrote:
On 7/20/2008 1:56 AM plucked Senior Frog's Magic
Twanger and said:
Hi all

I may have the opportunity to go the championship game for the
American Indoor Football Association in Florence, SC. My local time
just won the western conference and is scheduled to play in
championship game in Florence. I know at this last minute the fares
are going out of this world, but thought I might splurge. Just
wondering other than the airport in Florence if there where and any
other choices in the area. I was hoping to fly in this coming
Thursday and then fly home (CPR - Casper, WY) nest Sunday.

Thanks
M. Graham

Fly directly into Florence SC. Any savings that you might get by
flying to another airport will be lost in car rental and gasoline
for
the trip. Also for what you are going to pay, try and get a direct
flight.

Uh, a "direct flight" is one in which you don't change planes. It can
land in 20 different airports enroute.

The ones that go from point A to point B without landing in between
are "nonstop".

Sometimes flights with stops aren't saving that much because
the jet plane uses more fuel to land and take off than it would to
fly in a direct route.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old July 28th, 2008, 05:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

--
________
*To *email me, Edit "blog" from my email address.

Thanks, but I not justify the price and besides my team lost big time.

M. Graham