Is There Any/Much Change In Hawaiian Hotel & Restaurant Prices?

Old May 26th, 2008, 03:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

Default Is There Any/Much Change In Hawaiian Hotel & Restaurant Prices?

I was conversing today about Hawaii, where I have never visited, nor
for that matter Alaska.

The person goes there on work assignments, and encourages us see the
unique State.

Happily we could go there on Sky Miles, while the reputed tres cher
hotel/motel prices etal are sorta currently inhibiting us.

We hear prices are falling somewhat in European hotels because the one-
third or more depreciated dollar spenders are resisting & reluctant to
book London, Paris etal.

Has anybody here stayed recently in Hawaii, and has it become
substantively cheaper for tourists as, for instance, Las Vegas etal is
recently reported/rumored to have become?

My perception had been at least $100-$200 per night for average
accomodations on Maui.

I'd like to book something decent for two people at under $100 per
night for a week or five days, and I am doubting that such exists
that's not a bag of fleas and bedbugs.

Here's the way I'm anticipating the trip expenditures would be:

RT skymiles, we could go almost any date delta has open
car rental perhaps $35--$75 per diem plus fuel.
room (as discussed above)
meals: $100 for two people per day for fast feed, unless we
occasionally splurge for classier fare
souvenir-chotskies: genuine plastic imitation pineapple and volcano
things made in the Orient, $5 and up.
Rubbernecker Tour: Don Ho gravesite, volcano, Pearl Harbor: about $50--
$100 each for a tiring spectacular day of guided site-seeing
Lays: terrific tasty baked potato chippy necklaces.....nevermind, I
couldn't resist it
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff[_16_]

"Robert Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

Robert - Hawaii is 8 major islands (Hawaii, Kahoolawe, Kauai, Lanai, Maui,
Molokai, Niihau and Oahu). The places you want to see are not all on Maui.
So you need to plan on interisland flights as well (although SuperFerry goes
from Honolulu to Maui once a day). Pearl Harbor is on Oahu (as are Honolulu
and Waikiki), the active volcanos are on the island of Hawaii. You might
want to consider flying into Honolulu and then to Maui and Kona or Hilo,
then back from Kona to the mainland.

As for hotels, there can be some "deals" but you need to look for them.
Maybe also consider a cruise.

Jeff

Old May 26th, 2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

On May 26, 12:31*pm, "Jeff" wrote:
[...]

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your time & knowledge

A cruise, what an idea, do a couple of days cruise after landing at
honululu (?)

that way one could avoid the hotels and restaurants, and if the ship
is big enough and the winds are calm, i won't get too sick either---

can this be done--i bet not--but seems like a great package deal a la
carnival on the east coast usa

could get a cruise from calif coast too, which will look into

again, thanks for the suggestion

and those neat art auctions, loose slot machines, and huge swim
pools ...not

Old May 27th, 2008, 06:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

Robert Cohen wrote:

could get a cruise from calif coast too, which will look into

Note that a cruise from California would most likely be on a foreign
flagged ship. This means at least one stop has to be foreign.
There is a US flagged cruise ship that does Hawaii, but it won't go from
the mainland.
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

On May 27, 1:59*am, mrtravel wrote:
Robert Cohen wrote:

could get a cruise from calif coast too, which will *look into

Note that a cruise from California would most likely be on a foreign
flagged ship. This means at least one stop has to be foreign.
There is a US flagged cruise ship that does Hawaii, but it won't go from
the mainland.

I bet it's a Panama or Liberian registration etal, so as to get around
the more stringent & taxing U.S. of course

I told my wife the idea, and now she says, okay, then let's see calif
for 2 days too

She knows that in 1962, been ther/done that, I graduated high shool,
and saw the Seattle world fair, and drove from the north down thru
calif to the mexico border (too young to be admitted to mexico, surely
just as well)

Big brother calif govt saved my friend and i from Tijauna, thanks
governor sinclair (not really who was gov in '62, pat brown ?)

We did get into Mexico from San Luis in Ariz, near yuma, and then
chickened out when we saw how rough and poor that place was

sorry if this remark is deemed offensive

so, we, say, drive from l.a. airport to san diego, where my wfe's
uncle has lived since ww II, and leave bon voyqge to hawaii, but i
bet no cruise ship goes from san diego to hawaii?