Vancouver to Winnipeg by rail or fly?

Old September 25th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Doug S

Default Vancouver to Winnipeg by rail or fly?

We are wanting to travel from Vancouver to Winnipeg next year but do
not know anything about Canadaian railways. Advertised journey times
seem to be about a week!!! Surely there are quicker trains? Or do we
need to take a flight?
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Peter L

"Doug S" wrote in message
om...
We are wanting to travel from Vancouver to Winnipeg next year but do
not know anything about Canadaian railways. Advertised journey times
seem to be about a week!!! Surely there are quicker trains? Or do we
need to take a flight?

Depends on why you want to get there in the first place, don't it? If you
want sight seeing, take the train.

Old September 26th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Tom Box

Doug S ) writes:

We are wanting to travel from Vancouver to Winnipeg next year but do
not know anything about Canadaian railways. Advertised journey
times seem to be about a week!!! Surely there are quicker trains?

I don't know what advertisement you're reading, but either it's
incorrect, or you're misinterpreting it. There's only one passenger
train service from Vancouver to Winnipeg (continuing on to Toronto),
VIA Rail's "Canadian". It leaves Vancouver at 1730 Sun/Tue/Fri,
and arrives in Winnipeg at 1120 Tue/Thu/Sun. After allowing for the
change of time zone, that gives a 39 h 50 min trip. I have done
this several times, and can confirm that it does not take a week.

Tom Box or
Toronto, ON, Canada
Old September 26th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Ken Pisichko

Checked out www.via.ca with adobe and the Vancouver-Winnipeg portion
takes a day, 15 hrs and 50 minutes according to the schedule. It goes
East on Days 2, 5, and 7 (with Monday being day 1).

I have done the trip by plane, train and car as well as hitch-hiking.
All have benefits. If you want to see some spectacular scenery,
unfortunately you won't be able to see all of it by train because the
train leaves Vancouver at 1730. Mind you you don't get to Jasper until
lunch so you miss some of the mountains. Going by air makes you miss it
all - foothills, mountains and prairies. Mind you, you get a nice view
of several airports.....

There is only one transcontinental VIA train. There is a EXPENSIVE
tourist train that goes between Vancouver and Calgary, travelling during
the day and stopping each night. Then you really see the southern
mountains!

Hope this is useful information...

Ken

Old September 26th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Don Howe

"Tom Box" wrote in message
Doug S ) writes:

We are wanting to travel from Vancouver to Winnipeg next year but do
not know anything about Canadaian railways. Advertised journey
times seem to be about a week!!! Surely there are quicker trains?

I don't know what advertisement you're reading, but either it's
incorrect, or you're misinterpreting it. There's only one passenger
train service from Vancouver to Winnipeg (continuing on to Toronto),
VIA Rail's "Canadian". It leaves Vancouver at 1730 Sun/Tue/Fri,
and arrives in Winnipeg at 1120 Tue/Thu/Sun. After allowing for the
change of time zone, that gives a 39 h 50 min trip. I have done
this several times, and can confirm that it does not take a week.

Tom Box or
Toronto, ON, Canada

It just seems like a week after you get East of Hinton AB. LOL

Old September 29th, 2003, 12:29 PM
John Chapman

If you have the time (apprx 2 days) and the $$$, by all means take the
Via Rail train. As other posters have pointed out, the late Vancouver
departure means you miss the scenic Fraser Canyon and the northerly
route (via Edmonton)
misses the best of the Rockies. Meals are surprisingly good (and incl
in sleeping accom fare) and the renovated 50s cars are relately
spacious and comfortable. JOHN