US Visa

Old September 18th, 2003, 05:23 PM
..:: tom parle ::..

Default US Visa

Hi,
I am British and my partner is Malaysian, although she has lived in this
country for more than 10 years and has a professional job here.

We are planning to visit New York for a week... I dont need a visa to travel
to the states but my partner does. When she went down to London to apply for
a visa she was refused, dispite having all relevant documents. We are not
married and we dont have a mortgage as we are both only a couple of years
out of university.

We are planning to try again and were wondering if anyone has any advice for
our second attempt? We are not sure what specifically they are looking for
as we did everything they asked on the application form.

Thanks,

Tom

Old September 18th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Sjoerd

"..:: tom parle ::.." schreef in
bericht ...
Hi,
I am British and my partner is Malaysian, although she has lived in this
country for more than 10 years and has a professional job here.

We are planning to visit New York for a week... I dont need a visa to

travel
to the states but my partner does. When she went down to London to apply

for
a visa she was refused, dispite having all relevant documents. We are not
married and we dont have a mortgage as we are both only a couple of years
out of university.

We are planning to try again and were wondering if anyone has any advice

for
our second attempt? We are not sure what specifically they are looking for
as we did everything they asked on the application form.

They are looking for "evidence" that your partner will return to the UK. Did
you already submit a letter from her employer?

In case she doesn't get the visa, it means that the US doesn't want the
money that you would spend there, and you could travel to more welcoming
places. Malaysians can visit most of Europe with just their passport, no
visa needed.

Sjoerd

Old September 18th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Keith Willshaw

"..:: tom parle ::.." wrote in message
Hi,
I am British and my partner is Malaysian, although she has lived in this
country for more than 10 years and has a professional job here.

Perhaps she should think of applying for British Citizenship.

We are planning to visit New York for a week... I dont need a visa to

travel
to the states but my partner does. When she went down to London to apply

for
a visa she was refused, dispite having all relevant documents. We are not
married and we dont have a mortgage as we are both only a couple of years
out of university.

Did they give you any reason for not granting the visa ?

Keith

Old September 19th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Peter L

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"..:: tom parle ::.." wrote in

message
Hi,
I am British and my partner is Malaysian, although she has lived in this
country for more than 10 years and has a professional job here.

Perhaps she should think of applying for British Citizenship.

We are planning to visit New York for a week... I dont need a visa to

travel
to the states but my partner does. When she went down to London to apply

for
a visa she was refused, dispite having all relevant documents. We are

not
married and we dont have a mortgage as we are both only a couple of

years
out of university.

Did they give you any reason for not granting the visa ?

I suspect US immigration was not certain whether she'd return to England,
eventhough she has a job there. Being Malaysian and living in England, just
graduated from college, no family ties in England, are all red flags.

Keith

Old September 19th, 2003, 08:08 PM
..:: tom parle ::..

Peter L wrote:
[...]

yes i agree... i am just wondering what we can do in our re-application... I
can understand their arguement, but it doesnt really seem fair as we arent
in any different situation to anyone else our age in the UK, i.e. new job,
renting a house.

I guess my parents and me are her family in the UK as we are recognised as
common-law married here. We need to convince the embassy that we are
building careers in the UK and have no intention of giving that up to be
illegal immigrants in the US!!

Old September 19th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Peter L

"..:: tom parle ::.." wrote in message
news
Peter L wrote:
[...]

Not much help because you and anyone else in the UK are British citizens,
not Malaysian citizens living in a different country. I don't think they'll
tell you this, but being from a Muslim country certainly heightened the
scrutiny.

And fairness has nothing to do with it.

I guess my parents and me are her family in the UK as we are recognised as
common-law married here. We need to convince the embassy that we are
building careers in the UK and have no intention of giving that up to be
illegal immigrants in the US!!

It's not you (as in "we"). It's her, as you have found out already.

Old September 20th, 2003, 02:56 PM
..:: tom parle ::..

Not much help because you and anyone else in the UK are British
citizens, not Malaysian citizens living in a different country. I
don't think they'll tell you this, but being from a Muslim country
certainly heightened the scrutiny.

And fairness has nothing to do with it.

Yes you are right we thought that too.. she is not muslim but they just look
at stats for a country and make decidions on that which isnt fair like you
say.

I guess my parents and me are her family in the UK as we are
recognised as common-law married here. We need to convince the
embassy that we are building careers in the UK and have no intention
of giving that up to be illegal immigrants in the US!!

It's not you (as in "we"). It's her, as you have found out already.

yes i know. thanks

Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:47 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"..:: tom parle ::.." wrote:

Hi,
I am British and my partner is Malaysian, although she has lived in this
country for more than 10 years and has a professional job here.

We are planning to visit New York for a week... I dont need a visa to travel
to the states but my partner does. When she went down to London to apply for
a visa she was refused, dispite having all relevant documents. We are not
married and we dont have a mortgage as we are both only a couple of years
out of university.

We are planning to try again and were wondering if anyone has any advice for
our second attempt? We are not sure what specifically they are looking for
as we did everything they asked on the application form.

Just forget the U.S. and go somewhere else.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:44 PM
David S.

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
"..:: tom parle ::.." wrote:

[...]

It is difficult to offer any help/suggestions without knowing why your
partner's visa application was rejected. Is she a Malaysian national living
in the UK? That may (I'm guessing here) be the reason as, since the 9/11/01
attacks, US travel visa requirements have been tightened and foreign
nationals visting from a third country may be restricted/prohibited. Perhaps
it would be helpful for you, and/or her, to contact your government on this.

David S.