Bad experience at motel - got money back

Old September 11th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Lew Serbin

Default Bad experience at motel - got money back

I had a bad experience, told below, at a motel and demanded my money
back for that night in May. On September 10, I was told that the
amount would be credited to my credit card.

MY LAST STATEMENT:
My credit card statement shows the charge of [more than $150] is back.
If I have not received a check from you or you have not credited my
account by the time I receive my next statement, I will tell what you
did on the net and file suit to get my money back. It is up to you to
keep it simple and avoid costs that will be mre than what you already
owe me.

I don't care what you do as long as that charge is canceled. How your
corporation is structured is not my concern. You created it, you deal
with it.

INTERJECTION:
I received several unresponsive messages from the corporation over a
period of months.

ORIGINAL STATEMENT:
We arrived the evening of Friday, May 28 and happily got the room
location we requested. Before going out for the evening, we reported
to the woman at the desk that the wash basin was slow to drain and
might need a bit of plunging. She wrote a note that we did not see.

Saturday morning, I reported to the man at the desk that the wash
basin was slow to drain and might need a bit of plunging.

When we got back, around midnight, the wash basin was very dirty as if
it had been filled and allowed to drain without cleaning it after it
had dried. The man at the desk came to the room to see what we found.
We showed him how fast the lavatory filled, i.e., how slowly it
drained.

A few hours after going to bed Saturday, we were awakened by the sound
of pouring water. Even though it was nearly empty when we went to bed,
the wash basin had filled and was pouring onto the floor. I called the
desk and a woman soon came to the room to bail the water, apparently
using the coffee maker's beaker as it was missing when I went to use
it. Three times I had to tell her to "Don't talk to us!" as it was not
obvious to her that we were trying to sleep.

Sunday we were moved to a room that we regarded as inconvient (they
called it "an upgrade"). We were not happy with its location. We were
out shortly after noon and returned around midnight. The room had not
been cleaned!

Because your negligence denied us a night of peaceful sleep and the
loss of time it took to move to an inconveniently-located room, we
shall not pay the sum of [more than $150] for Saturday night. We trust
that you understand and agree that the corrected bill is [a lesser
amount].

We like your place and would stay there again but we were very unhappy
with our Memorial Day week-end stay.
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:10 PM
tim

"Lew Serbin" wrote in message
om...
I had a bad experience, told below, at a motel and demanded my money
back for that night in May. On September 10, I was told that the
amount would be credited to my credit card.

Yes I was overcharged at a US motel, complained, refused
to sign the credit slip and was told that they would run the
correct amount later.

They, of course, just presented the original slip and when I
complained to my credit card company they said that as it
was an overseas transaction there was nothing that they
could do (I think that they lied, but that's another issue!).

It was only a matter of a few dollars so I forget it, but
I have never stayed in that chain again. It was a Comfort
Inn which does have an operation in Europe so they've
lost all that potential business for the sake of a few dollars.

Smart business sense, not!

Oh, what's my point? we'll they'll probably do the same to you

tim

Old September 11th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Roger B.

"Lew Serbin" wrote...
I had a bad experience, told below, at a motel and demanded
my money back for that night in May. On September 10, I
was told that the amount would be credited to my credit card.
My credit card statement shows the charge of [more than $150]
is back.

Many chain hotels in the U.S. are not owned by the chain, but
franchisees, who do not expect you back, and so do not care
about individual complaints. When the power went out for 4
hrs at a resort, their reply to me was, "To Bad. Its an act of
God, and not our fault."

You may also have better luck with harassing the corporation.
When I stayed at a Radisson that had on-going construction
noise, I complained to the chain's CS center and received a
voucher for a free night, anywhere in the U.S.

You could also try disputing the charge with your CC issuer.
[R]

Old September 12th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Auntie Em

When I refused a charge with the Knights Inn, in Corpus Christi, Texas
becaus there was not hot water, I did not have to pay it. On the
other hand, when I refused a charge at the Isle of Capri Hotel in Lake
Charles, Louisiana, due to having the wrong sized sheet on my bed,
they did protest it and I ended up having to pay.

It's the luck of the draw I think.

Em
The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents,
and the second half by our children.
--- Clarence Darrow
(make that YOUR children).
Old September 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Auntie Em" wrote in message
When I refused a charge with the Knights Inn, in Corpus Christi, Texas
becaus there was not hot water, I did not have to pay it. On the
other hand, when I refused a charge at the Isle of Capri Hotel in Lake
Charles, Louisiana, due to having the wrong sized sheet on my bed,
they did protest it and I ended up having to pay.

It's the luck of the draw I think.

Sheraton in Seattle. The toilet was slow to drain, I had to flush it twice
to make it work. I didn't think anything of it and went off for the day.
Came back and found they wanted to give me $50 in compensation, without me
asking! nice one.

Travelodge near Southampton, England, was an airlock in the plumbing, made a
noise which meant I couldn't get to sleep, got one night refunded and moved
for the other two.

Travelodge at Edinburgh. Fan in the bathroom would not turn off, again no
sleep. I complained before I went to bed but they were unable to move me, I
got £10 compensation, upgraded to £15 when told them how stupid it was that
just because it was 5pm they were unable to get someone out to fix it. £15
was okay but I think I should have gotten a full refund, was £70 in total.

Jurys Inn at Birmingham. Room was not cleaned, bed not made. I complained to
the desk and they said it would be fixed before I got back at night. Got
back and it wasn't. I complained again but didn't want to move rooms. I
wrote an email complaint once I got home and they rang me up to aplogise and
gave me a full refund.

Whenever I've got money back it was down to the hotel to do. I didn't wait
until afterwards and then demand a refund without it being agreed
beforehand.

My biggest problem in hotels is noise, and in city centres and next to
Motorways that can often be difficult to avoid.

Old September 12th, 2004, 04:50 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Mark Hewitt wrote:

My biggest problem in hotels is noise, and in city centres and next to
Motorways that can often be difficult to avoid.

I have the same problem - super-keen hearing - although
traffic noises, or something steady like a noisy exhaust
fan, don't bother me if I'm really tired. What really gets
to me is loud music from someone's television or radio, and
that's seldom a problem in the hotels where I stay. (If
it's really loud, a complaint to the management gets results.)

I've never been able to use the earplugs they sell to shut
out noise, but I travel with a small electronic gadget that
emits "white" noise, or a variety of soothing sounds (ocean
waves, etc.). I have a larger one at home, because
neighbors in the next building are night-owls and listen to
TV late at night. I find them quite effective, and well
worth the price.

Old September 12th, 2004, 06:46 PM
James Gemmill

We had two cabins rented via phone in Alaska. The ad in Milepost made
the place look pretty good. Nice new "lodge" and a lake. We found
later the "lodge" was the new laundry and shower room for the
campground that overlooked the lake. When we arrived at the cabins
they looked a bit inadequate, but I gave the man my credit card. When
I asked for keys he said there was none, just a hasp with stick to
hold the door shut, both indide and outside. He advised us to be
careful not to lock someone in the cabin. One man had forgotten and
locked his wife inside. When we looked at the rooms a stench of rotten
wood was evident, the room was dirty with cobwebs, no runnig water or
sink of any kind the linens looked not too clean. We stil aren't sure
if there were lights in the rooms. We were told to use the restroom in
the accompanying bar, some 50 yards away. The shower rooms was in the
camp ground about 100 yards away. We asked what was available for
dinner, he was not sure as he had just served two bus loads of
tourists. He'd check. The ladies (and men for that matter) did not
like these cabins. We asked for a credit but the man said he did not
know how to credit but would give our money back in cash. He was very
pleasant and understanding. We found a place down the road.
We were told by others, "Hey, it's Alaska, sometimes that is what you
get and glad of it."

Old September 13th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Mark Hewitt

something steady like a noisy exhaust
fan,

Strange because constant traffic noise I can deal with. But a constant fan
noise, from building A/C or whatever (the type of which you often find just
outside hotel windows) I just can't deal with and get no sleep at all! I
guess it's because at home we have traffic but no fans :-)