Greek food

Old August 27th, 2008, 04:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dale Thompson

Default Greek food

Anybody have any favorite restaurants to recommend in Athens, on
Thira, Mykonos and in Heraklion and Chania on Crete? Looking for
non-touristy places.

TIA

Rosemary
--
To e-mail me remove the obvious before @ and change sinuswave to sinewave.
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 4:56*am, Dale Thompson
wrote:
Anybody have any favorite *restaurants to recommend in Athens, *on
Thira, Mykonos and in Heraklion and Chania on Crete? *Looking for
non-touristy places.

TIA

Rosemary

Non-touristy in Mykonos? You're kidding aren't you?

Phil

Old August 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

[]
I've had two good meals in NL this week,

Another one for my black book!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

[]
I've had two good meals in NL this week,

Another one for my black book!

They're not especially non-tourist but in Athens I liked:

Sholarhio, Tripodon 14, Plaka
Jimmy & The Fish, Alexandrou Koumoundourou 46, Piraeus

In Mykonos:
Spilia Home Food Restaurant, Tria Pegadia
Passo Doble, Enoplon Dynameon

Open as of December 2006

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old August 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
yaeedyaeegiisss[_2_]

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

At a (good) chinese restaurant on Saturday, we had to wait about 45
minutes for the main course after the starters. We were relaxed about
it, but it was very unusual- and I can't figure out why it took so
long...

I remember going to a Chinese place in Manchester's Chinatown a few
years ago, and it took almost that long. The food was fine when we
finally got it, but it was a rather leisurely pace. The place was quite
busy, so maybe the kitchen and staff were a bit overwhelmed.
--
dgs
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 04:56:50 +0100, Dale Thompson wrote
(in article ):

Anybody have any favorite restaurants to recommend in Athens, on Thira,
Mykonos and in Heraklion and Chania on Crete? Looking for non-touristy
places.

I used to spend a few days in Athens fairly regularly (every time I
went to Greece), but I haven't been very recently as it's become much
more expensive to stay since the Olympics 4 years ago. However I
would say that in Athens the most important thing is to avoid are the
very touristy tavernas that cluster round every square in the Plaka
district. If you don't know it, it's a very attractive area -
specially in the evening - as much of it is pedestrianised and nearly
everywhere you get a superb view of the flood-lit Acropolis. If
you're unwise enough to choose a place to eat here though, you'll
usually be treated at best to indifferent, over-priced food, and
expensive wine. At the worst you can be subjected to dancing waiters,
and even a bit of plate smashing thrown in for good measure. A lot of
bouzouki-bashing goes on at these establishments with itinerant
'musicians' turning up at your table from time to time. You can
usually recognise these places as they'll often have people outside,
or even the waiters themselves, accosting you as you pass,
encouraging you to come in.

There are a few honourable exceptions though. I always used to like
'O Platanos' in Diogenous street near the folk instrument museum.
It's reasonably authentic Greek, with a lot of local clientele. You
won't get any waiters trying to attract you in here, in fact quite
the reverse - they'll probably ignore you for some time after you
find a table to sit at. The food is not exceptional but it's not at
all bad and the atmosphere is very pleasant on a hot summer evening
sitting outside under the eponymous plane tree

A slightly more up-market taverna is 'Vizantino' on Plateia
Filomousou Eterias, just off Kydathineon street. You'll get linen
tablecloths here, not paper ones, and bit more attentive service. The
food's quite good too (and the bill larger).

If you want to avoid other tourists and yet remain fairly central in
Athens you could try heading towards Psiri (the area in the corner
between Ermou and Athinas streets). This used to be a very run-down,
almost derelict area, but was extensively renovated in the run-up to
the Olympics. It's now become quite trendy with several tavernas
popular with Athenians. I ate at a quite good place there last year.
Unfortunately I can't remember its name, but it's a fairly obvious
taverna on Plateia Iroön in the centre of Psiri.

Hope you have a good time in Greece.

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane