THe Carnival family of cruise lines

Old March 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_3_]

Default THe Carnival family of cruise lines

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 08:59:05 -0700, Ray Goldenberg wrote:

Hi,

Hi.

Think first! Before you book a cruise from a two bit lying sleazeball
who uses Usenet as free SPAMADVERTISING ground and for purposeful
attempts at personal character assassination? Are you next? Think twice
before booking with Ray Goldenberg. http://tr.im/hlJv
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"p erlenbach" wrote in message
On 3/14/09 4:27 PM, in article , "George
Leppla" wrote:

Marketing and yield management has had 8 years to develop and refine
marketing strategies for times like this.

According to one of the majors the average customer currently books his
cruise four months in advance, down from five months in earlier years. Is
it
reasonable to assume that, because of this, "yield management" systems
will
not start strongly discounting cabin prices until three months before
departure?

Not necessarily.

Yield management works on numbers of cabins sold by number of days prior to
departure. XXX number of cabins sold by YYY date. If that target is not
met, the fare goes down until sales increase enough to "catch up" with the
calendar... then fares may go back up again. Any discounting we see for
2010 is a reflection of slower sales for that period.

It has gotten very sophisticated, to the point that they can apply this to
individual categories on each sailing if needed. That is why I think we are
seeing a disparity in prices between inside and balcony cabins on some
sailings.

I took a CLIA seminar on "yield management" at the U of Miami many years
ago. After a few hours of talk about "algorithms" and "paradigms", I
decided that fares were very likely decided by a man in the basement who
used a dart board and Magic 8 Ball. vbg

After 9/11 where discounts available even for departures much
further away?

I seem to remember that most of the deals were within the first 9 months of
9/11... after that things got back to more normal levels. A lot of travel
agents (including me) blocked a lot of group space when fares were low and
had some good deals the following year. I seem to remember a group cruise
where we started at $290 pp for a 7 night....... but my memory isn't as good
as it used to be.... and another thing, my memory isn't as good as it used
to be. vbg

--
George Leppla
http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Weblog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm
January 10, 2009 Southern Caribbean
http://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 16, 2010 OASIS http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old March 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:27:52 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

We live in interesting times.

As opposed to when times weren't interesting? When was that?

About any time my history teacher was lecturing about. She could kill
the dead all over again. Sad.

--
Nonny
Elected officials should wear

Old March 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Leppla" wrote:

[...]

It's those Operations Research folk, George. They love that kind of
math. You know one of those folk.