Ummm.........

Old January 4th, 2013, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

Default Ummm.........

........ does anyone actually discuss travel in this newsgroup anymore?????

Old January 5th, 2013, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Top Three Travel Experiences? Ummm.........

(1) The vision westward over the Santorini caldera at sunset, from the
cliffside in Fira. What a spectacular vision. It is hard to imagine
such a sight could exist contained within one's eyes:

http://stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2002_...Photos.html#26

(2) Atop the circuit walls of ancient Messene, in the Peloponnese of
Greece. Connect with biting tragic history, alone atop the ancient
smooth stonework, in the wind:

http://stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2009/...ay_64.html#144

(3) In the heather in Cornwall, near a megalithic monument. I hope to
go out with this image in my mind.

http://stepheda.com/England_2006/Day_7.html#3

What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old January 5th, 2013, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Top Three Scenic Drives? Ummm.........

Who likes scenic drives? My top three scenic drives (defined by a
single day or stretch of road):

(1) The Lofoten Penninsula in Norway a.k.a. Land Of The Lost. I
refueled my car at the end and asked the clerk, who spoke perfect
English as does everyone in Norway, have you heard of the show Land Of
The Lost? Of course, she said, I live here.

http://stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2009/..._-_Day_33.html

(2) Milford Sound. Previously my top drive until I visited Norwary.
Many drives in Norway are superior to the drive to Milford Sound, but I
wanted want be diversified here. So: this is a stunning valley drive,
through a mountain, to a glass-smooth sound, with a ferry out to the
ocean.

http://stepheda.com/New_Zealand_2006/Milford_Sound.html

(3) Wester Ross. Driving the north coast of Scotland is like a driving
on another planet.

http://stepheda.com/Scotland_2004/Photos.html#63

What are your favorite scenic drives in Europe?

Old January 5th, 2013, 03:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default gelato Ummm.........

And another thing, that mystifies me, is why there is no gelato in
America. Yeah, MAYBE you can find something calling itself that in the
freezer section in the supermarket, but that is not the same.

Probably my favorite gelato, EVER, is from Nico's on the south of the
main rialtine island of Venice. Half chocolate, half blueberry. How
it is possible for simultaneously experience the most rich chocolate
possible and the fruitiest sweet blueberries, is just magic to me.

How can such a thing not be everywhere in the USA? For goodness sake,
we have ice cream shops everywhere -- but no gelato? what am I missing?

http://stepheda.com/Venice_2005/Breakfasts.html

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 667

Travel experience duh

de discussion : 2013010420235065452-stephedanospam@maccom...

Old January 5th, 2013, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 1/4/2013 9:19 PM, Dan Stephenson wrote:

(3) Wester Ross. Driving the north coast of Scotland is like a driving
on another planet.

http://stepheda.com/Scotland_2004/Photos.html#63

Some gorgeous shots of the west coast.
Next time, try continuing along the north coast (my area!), then down
the east.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Scotland is Beautiful Top Three Scenic Drives? Ummm.........

On 2013-01-05 07:55:11 -0600, S Viemeister said:

On 1/4/2013 9:19 PM, Dan Stephenson wrote:

(3) Wester Ross. Driving the north coast of Scotland is like a driving
on another planet.

http://stepheda.com/Scotland_2004/Photos.html#63

Some gorgeous shots of the west coast.
Next time, try continuing along the north coast (my area!), then down the east.

I drove that way, too. Check out the the top-level photo page. My
circuit was anti-clockwise. My favorite parts of eastern Scotland were
the Whaligoe Steps, the megalithics near Lybster (Achvanich Standing
Stones, Camster Cairns, Hill o' Many Stanes), and Fast Castle's remains
on the Borders, on a projection over the sea.

I have not visted the "nose" of Scotland, where Aberdeen is. (Except
Cairngorms National Park) Does that "nose" have a name?

Anyone out there like megalithics? I am incredibly in love with
megalithics. Here are my Scottish Megalithics:

http://www.stepheda.com/Scotland_200...ics_Index.html

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

What are you top experiences travelling in Europe?

Grabbing them at random from the top of my mind, and for different reasons,
in no particular order. . .

Although Germany and Austria are my favorite places to vist, for one-trip
experiences:

Orkney with my very own archaeologist guide and no group to leave me
behind.

A bit of England and Wales hunting castles and even older sites with two
friends was also the most sheer fun.

A saga-emphasis group trip to Iceland with one of my all- time
single-moment high points: Thingvellir all to myself when cold rainy wind
had driven the rest of the group back to the bus.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

I haven't seen a lot of Scotland(I was on my way to Orkney), but I agree.
I need someone else to drive for me, however 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Dan Stephenson wrote:
And another thing, that mystifies me, is why there is no gelato in
America. Yeah, MAYBE you can find something calling itself that in the
freezer section in the supermarket, but that is not the same.

Probably my favorite gelato, EVER, is from Nico's on the south of the
main rialtine island of Venice. Half chocolate, half blueberry. How it
is possible for simultaneously experience the most rich chocolate
possible and the fruitiest sweet blueberries, is just magic to me.

How can such a thing not be everywhere in the USA? For goodness sake, we
have ice cream shops everywhere -- but no gelato? what am I missing?

http://stepheda.com/Venice_2005/Breakfasts.html

My grandson told me a while ago that it could be found somewhere in the
Chicago area, but I an awaiting proof next time I get down there(which I
only manage twice a year). A local grocery store here claims to have it in
its freezer section, but I believe that so little that I haven't even tried
one of its three boring flavors.

I fell in love with "italienisches Eis" long ago in Germany. More recently
I actually visited Sicily and was spoiled even worse. We have some good
ice cream in the US, but it is a different thing entirely.

On 2013-01-04 15:25:25 -0600, Stephen Ellenson said:

....... does anyone actually discuss travel in this newsgroup anymore?????

I replied to one about German and dialects not long ago. That was the
closest I remember.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad