Following in Pausanias' footsteps?

Old January 17th, 2013, 04:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Following in Pausanias' footsteps?

I am reading Pausanias' _Descriptions of Greece_. There is an
accompanying atlas showing the sites Pausanias describes. I would like
to structure a future vacation to following Pausanias' travels, but I
know not all the places he references are still visit-able, either they
are gone or practically inaccessable. I cannot find something that
quite covers this. Can anyone make a recommendation for research?

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old January 17th, 2013, 08:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 667

no.

de discussion : 2013011621420020834-stephedanospam@maccom...

Old January 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 01/17/2013 04:42 AM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
I am reading Pausanias' _Descriptions of Greece_. There is an
accompanying atlas showing the sites Pausanias describes. I would like
to structure a future vacation to following Pausanias' travels, but I
know not all the places he references are still visit-able, either they
are gone or practically inaccessable. I cannot find something that
quite covers this. Can anyone make a recommendation for research?

Just browsing around in a dull moment I found this -
http://www.pausanias-footsteps.nl/

It's in English as well, but it may be that the pages in Dutch are more
comprehensive.

Old January 17th, 2013, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

...but I know not all the places he
references are still visit-able, either they
are gone or practically inaccessable. I
cannot find something that quite covers
this. Can anyone make a recommendation
for research?

I know exactly what you are looking for but I don't know if it is still
online.
Maybe it's just me and I couldn't find it so give it a shot yourself.

10+years ago there was an official Greek website possibly put out by the
'Hellenic Ministry of Culture'?
Which as you can see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministr...ourism_(Greece)
has merged and disassembled and merged since 2009.
So it might have been lost in the shuffle?

That old website gave you 3 choices Archaeological Sites, Museums and
Monuments thru-out Greece.

So say you clicked 'Archaeological Sites', it would then give you an A-Z
option.
Click 'R', scroll to 'Rhamnous' and click, it would then give a brief
description, location, opening dates and time, etc.

Perhaps somewhere it is still out there either achived or updated or
under a different Gov't branch?

This looks like a possibility but I can't get the 'Interactive Culture
Map Of Greece' to work for me?
http://odysseus.culture.gr/index_en.html
Regards, Walter

Old January 19th, 2013, 01:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-01-17 07:07:00 -0600, Tom P said:

On 01/17/2013 04:42 AM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
I am reading Pausanias' _Descriptions of Greece_. There is an
accompanying atlas showing the sites Pausanias describes. I would like
to structure a future vacation to following Pausanias' travels, but I
know not all the places he references are still visit-able, either they
are gone or practically inaccessable. I cannot find something that
quite covers this. Can anyone make a recommendation for research?

Just browsing around in a dull moment I found this -
http://www.pausanias-footsteps.nl/

It's in English as well, but it may be that the pages in Dutch are more
comprehensive.

All, that's right. When I found the site and went to the English
version, it clearly was not comprehensive. Pausanias really got
around! I did not see the Dutch version was more comprehesive through
in retrospect the Dutch flag saying so is obvious.

I am so glad! In particular, the sites Epidaurus Limera and Zarax
weren't in the English version, and THOSE were the two sites I didn't
see when I was down visited Monemvasia. I saw Epidaurus Limera from
the road but was too footsore to scramble up the hill, and as for
Zarax... let me tell you. I drove up a single path road up a steep
grade, which wound up being a private drive. And no room to turn
around. Oh, a little room, if I make a 13-point turn. With an irate
Greek woman burbling away in her irate speech at me in indignation.
Through another source, that *was* the right way to go -- I should have
had some kind of letter of introduction written by my hotelier.

Old January 19th, 2013, 02:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-01-17 09:45:52 -0600, Poetic Justice said:

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

[...]

Aha, I think this is it

http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/eh23.jsp

I didn't see Epidaurus Limera or Zaraz offhand, but, it is still a good
resource.

I like to make a thorough research up front, so the trip itself is
laid-back. This looks helpful.

Another "following Pausanias" question is: how long? I visted a lot of
Greece back in my 2009 trip, but it was not as comprehensive as
Pausanias. Would 3 months do it? Hmm.

Old January 21st, 2013, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 01/19/2013 01:58 AM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
On 2013-01-17 07:07:00 -0600, Tom P said:

[...]

Sounds like a good way to wreck your rental car!

Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-01-17 07:07:00 -0600, Tom P said:

[...]

The road itself was no worse than many country roads in Scotland.

The trouble was my car was relatively wide and the driveway at the top
wasn't so large.

Next time, I'll park at the bottom and walk up the hill.