Jet lag

Old November 8th, 2007, 04:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Jet lag

Greetings! One gets jetlag when one travels from east to west and vice-
versa. What happens when one travels from North and South like going
from Vancouver to Australia? Do the people gets jetlag? With thanks.

Old November 8th, 2007, 05:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

Greetings! One gets jetlag when one travels from east to west and vice-
versa. What happens when one travels from North and South like going
from Vancouver to Australia? Do the people gets jetlag? With thanks.

People get jet lag between Vancouver and Australia because there's a
five hour time change, like going from London to Washington, but it's
15 hours flying (more, actually, since YVR-SYD stops in Honolulu) so
your clock is off and you're worn out from flying.

For an actual north-south flight with no time change, say New York to
Lima, which is about eight hours, you may arrive exhausted if you
can't sleep crammed onto a plane, but your internal clock isn't off,
it's just that you stayed up all night.

Old November 8th, 2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 04:56:57 GMT, Craig Welch
wrote:

" said:

Greetings! One gets jetlag when one travels from east to west and vice-
versa. What happens when one travels from North and South like going
from Vancouver to Australia? Do the people gets jetlag? With thanks.

No. But such a long trip can be tiring, especially if travelling in
economy.

You will sometimes hear people confusing this tiredness with jetlag.

Also, true jetlag can last sevral days; tiredness rarely lasts
beyond a good night's sleep, which, because the time zone hasn't
changed, will be at your usual sleeping hours.

My wife can sleep on airplanes, but I have a lot of trouble with
it. Neverteless, on flights to London or Helsinki from the
American West we both simply push on the day of landing. Friends
and relatives are usually surprised that we are still going
strong by evening, but we've found that this puts us on the local
time within a day, and by night we are both ready to sleep.

Old November 8th, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
bob burke

We have found that, after flying from Australia to London, it is best to
press on for as long as possible on the day of arrival.

Touring London on one of the "Hop On, Hop Off" tourist busses for the day
seems to ease us into British time.

We do find it harder to adjust our internal clock after we return to
Australia, but whether that is as a result of travelling against the sun or
because of the anti climax of the end of the trip, I can't say.

Bob