Liquor Purchases

Old January 19th, 2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thomas Hinrichs

Default Liquor Purchases

With the new TSA rules about carrying liquids onto airplanes, how are people
dealing with buying liquor in the caribbean? Have liquor sales on the
islands and duty free stores on the ship slowed? Has anyone here brought
anything (liquor) back into the U.S. recently, and found a way to get it
onto their flight home/

In the past we've always bought a few bottles on the islands, as gifts for
friends, and carried them onto the plane. Is this a thing of the past?

Thanks
T.R.Hinrichs

Old January 19th, 2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nospam

You are allowed to buy liquor in the duty free area to take aboard the plane
after you go through security. You are allowed to hand carry it on the
plane. However, if you change planes in the US, you have to pack it in your
checking. I suggest you take bubble wrap. Only exception is when you
leave the Bahamas where I believe you go through the duty free shops first
then security (at least it was that way the last time we went 6 years ago).

Old January 19th, 2007, 01:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

Thomas Hinrichs wrote:

With the new TSA rules about carrying liquids onto airplanes, how are people
dealing with buying liquor in the caribbean? Have liquor sales on the
islands and duty free stores on the ship slowed? Has anyone here brought
anything (liquor) back into the U.S. recently, and found a way to get it
onto their flight home/

In the past we've always bought a few bottles on the islands, as gifts for
friends, and carried them onto the plane. Is this a thing of the past?

Thanks
T.R.Hinrichs

I simply drove home with my bottle of dark Rum. Of course that depends
on where you live and where the boat leaves from. It does increase the
distance for which it is more convenient to drive though.

Old January 19th, 2007, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Uncle Peter

In San Juan last December, we purchased the liquor in the
duty free shop in the airport, after passing through security.
The shop also packaged the bottles in carry on tote bags for
us. The only limitation is the percentage of alcohol, IIRC
any liquor over 151% alcohol is not permitted on
the plane, carry on or checked.

Pete

Old January 19th, 2007, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

Uncle Peter wrote:
In San Juan last December, we purchased the liquor in the
duty free shop in the airport, after passing through security.
The shop also packaged the bottles in carry on tote bags for
us. The only limitation is the percentage of alcohol, IIRC
any liquor over 151% alcohol is not permitted on
the plane, carry on or checked.

Pete

I suppose that you intended 75.05% alcohol or 151 proof. You really can
only get close to 100% in very controlled conditions.
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer

"Thomas Hinrichs" wrote in message
With the new TSA rules about carrying liquids onto airplanes, how are
people dealing with buying liquor in the caribbean? Have liquor sales on
the islands and duty free stores on the ship slowed? Has anyone here
brought anything (liquor) back into the U.S. recently, and found a way to
get it onto their flight home/

In the past we've always bought a few bottles on the islands, as gifts for
friends, and carried them onto the plane. Is this a thing of the past?

Thanks
T.R.Hinrichs

I noticed on our last Princess cruise a few weeks ago that the number of
people bringing back packs of liquor wasn't what it was before the
limitations were imposed. Packing even 2 bottles into a suitcase has got to
a problem as most folks can't spare the room. (I know I couldn't unless it
was something real special). I did notice that Princess delivered the liquor
to the cabin in the middle of the afternoon on the last day and was dropped
off at the cabin door whether some was there or not. I wonder how many
bottles went missing.

Old January 19th, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

On my last Royal Carb. cruise in Dec. They also just dropped the liquor
off outside the cabin doors. I couldn't believe it. What was to stop
anyone from stealing it?

Old January 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rdkng97

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:44:22 -0500, (RICK DAVIS)
wrote:

On my last Royal Carb. cruise in Dec. They also just dropped the liquor
off outside the cabin doors. I couldn't believe it. What was to stop
anyone from stealing it?

Hi Rick,

The honesty of the crew and guests. And if that is not sufficient,
the video cameras. ;+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

I have purchased lots of booze when sailing and it is always left
inside my room (on the bed) the night before we dock. The last time I
packed a bottle to check thru on a flight, The bottle broke somehow,
and I had a whole suitcase full of Tequila. So pack thoroughly.
R.--

Old January 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

We bought 2 bottles to bring home,but we had to pack them in our
luggage,the ship said not to,but we found with the airline restrictions
it was easier,and they packed them in bubble wrap on the ship,and a
cardboard box,and we stuck them in our used clothes,no problem,they
arrived home safe,and sound. Also it was almost as cheap as to buy it
aboard the ship,as it would have been on the islands,also if you buy it
in one of your ports,when getting back on the ship they take it,and will
not give it back until the night before you disembark.
surfer e2468

cruise lover