What's your biggest pet peeve when cruising?

Old October 1st, 2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

Default What's your biggest pet peeve when cruising?

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:30:17 -0700, Warren
wrote:

On Sep 30, 9:32 pm, Charles wrote:
I In the last
few years as cruising has become more popular and a larger number of
people have taken cruises the adherence to the requested dress has
broken down a little, and the cruise lines have stopped being strict in
enforcing the dress for the evening.

I think this started happening when alternative dining venues for
dinner were introduced and started becoming the norm. Let's say you go
to the dining room in a tux, and I decide to go to the buffet dressed
very casual. Later you see me at the show. All you remember later when
posting in the newsgroup is that you saw people dressed casual on
formal night. I think a lot of people's memory gets foggy and before
you know it - "people came to the dining room in shorts on formal
night." Even if that's not the case, if I remain casual the entire
night you are in your tux - neither one of us is dressed
inappropriately based one where we chose to eat that night. Ships have
become more of a hotel resort and less subject to former ocean going
traditions. If you go to a hotel that has a super formal restaurant
and a fast food joint, you'll see the same mix of dress that you now
see aboard ships.

I also think that the cruise lines are still doing a fairly good job
at enforcing some sort of formality in the dining room on formal
nights. You might see less tuxedos but I've seen plenty of slobs
turned away at the door. Most of the folks in the dining room are well
dressed, but the spectrum of one's interpretation of "well dressed" is
much wider. I think Cathy might be trying to say is if I'm dressed in
a tuxedo and the next guy to walk into the dining room is wearing a
nice button down shirt and dark slacks - he thinks he's dressed well
and I think I'm dressed well. Who am I to determine if he's dressed
well enough? That's the Maitre D's job.

As the final arbiter of what is acceptable in the dining room, if
it's good enough for the Maitre D it should be good enough for your
fellow passengers.

Warren

Thank you Warren. That is exactly what I am trying to say.

People have different definitions of "formal" and "appropriate." I
spend a lot of time in jogging pants, so for me, "dressing up" means
pants with a zipper!

Cathy
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Cathy wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:20:48 -0400, Lee wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 02:27:39 GMT, Cathy wrote:

wearing to consider it one of your biggest pet peeves. I can't imagine
even noticing what other people are wearing, much less being bothered
by it.

You just told us you would notice men in speedos.

How can you NOT notice men in Speedos at a formal dinner? They mght as
well be naked. I would find it laughable if guys showed up in Speedos
for formal night, but it wouldn't ruin my evening or make my list of
pet peeves.

Wouldn't it be OK if they were ChipNDale types and wore the collar and
tie? Generally I've observed (I used to swim at Masters meets) that
old men in Speedos (unless they are terribly rotund and have very
hairy backs) are better looking than old ladies in the equivalent swim
suits.

What I find irritating is those people who find it necessary to grouse
through the meal about how inappropriately other people are dressed.

I sometimes enjoy seeing other ladies all dressed up, but most of the
men just look very uncomfortable.

Old October 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Cathy wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:20:48 -0400, Lee wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 02:27:39 GMT, Cathy wrote:

wearing to consider it one of your biggest pet peeves. I can't imagine
even noticing what other people are wearing, much less being bothered
by it.

You just told us you would notice men in speedos.

How can you NOT notice men in Speedos at a formal dinner? They mght as
well be naked. I would find it laughable if guys showed up in Speedos
for formal night, but it wouldn't ruin my evening or make my list of
pet peeves.

Hell I generally find laughable for men to show up in Speedos at all.
The body type that can actually look good in a Speedo is VERY rare, even
amongst those who work on it. It would ruin my lunch, or breakfast or
even light snack for someone to show up Speedos.
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

Hell I generally find laughable for men to show up in Speedos at all.
The body type that can actually look good in a Speedo is VERY rare, even
amongst those who work on it. It would ruin my lunch, or breakfast or
even light snack for someone to show up Speedos

Hell ... It would ruin my lunch or breakfast or even light snack if I
showed up in speedos ...

Old October 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Oct 1, 10:06 am, Rosalie B. wrote:
What I find irritating is those people who find it necessary to grouse
through the meal about how inappropriately other people are dressed.

I had one of those at my table on Noordam. She was beligerant and
downright insulting towards me one evening which was designated as
informal. It was a port day, the A/C on the ship wasn't working well
especially in the dining room so I showed up (as did about 90% of my
fellow male passengers) sans sport coat/tie. I was, however, dressed
well enough to get passed most velvet ropes in NYC.

So consistent with what I said in my other post to this thread, I
finally turned to her and said that there was only one dress code
authority in the dining room - the Maitre D. And since he shook my
hand and wished me a Bon Appetite as I entered the dining room he
judged my attire as acceptable. I said to her that his was the only
opinion that mattered to me. She sulked throughout dinner. I enjoyed
mine.

As a postscript to this episode, the next formal night she felt
comfortable about discussing the infection that was festering under
her wig (which is just what you want to hear right before eating a
bowl of Lobster Bisque - NOT). She might have had sequins on but this
woman exhibited collectively less class than anyone she deemed
inappropriately attired.

Warren

Old October 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Doug McDonald

My biggest pet peeve when cruising would be the time it takes to
download the whole thread "What's your biggest pet peeve when cruising?"
from rec.travel.cruises onto my laptop while cruising.
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

LeeNY wrote:

If it were only that easy, Brian. Once I'm at the front of the line, I
have no problem walking through, and saying no thanks to the picture.
The part I find annoying is having to stand in the line, knowing that
at the end of it, is a photographer holding up the works. Usually,
the disembarkation lines are set up in such a way that bypassing the
line is an impossibility - it's single file - trying to push your way
past the line would not be particularly considerate to your fellow
passengers.

Lee, in many cases I've experienced, you can simply step out of the line
and bypass it to avoid the photopests. You might get some dirty looks
from first time cruisers who think the photopest stopover is mandatory,
but the experienced folk will join you. As you pass the photopest, just
say, "No photos," and keep walking.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

Rosalie B. wrote:

Wouldn't it be OK if they were ChipNDale types and wore the collar and
tie? Generally I've observed (I used to swim at Masters meets) that
old men in Speedos (unless they are terribly rotund and have very
hairy backs) are better looking than old ladies in the equivalent swim
suits.

Since my moonlighting job is one of the Chippendale dancers, let me
assure you that the Speedo-type outfits are quite cold and chaff. The
only reason I wear them is so that the dollar bills the ladies tuck
inside don't fall out as they did when I danced in my Oshkosh b'gosh
overalls. When cruising, the overalls are far more comfortable and I
reserve the black pair for formal night.

Old October 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:46:58 GMT, Cathy wrote:

You just told us you would notice men in speedos.

How can you NOT notice men in Speedos at a formal dinner?

Close your eyes.
--
__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:25:28 -0700, Warren wrote:

On Oct 1, 10:06 am, Rosalie B. wrote:
What I find irritating is those people who find it necessary to grouse
through the meal about how inappropriately other people are dressed.

I had one of those at my table on Noordam. She was beligerant and
downright insulting towards me one evening which was designated as
informal.

Always the gentlemen, Warren, get a set of rocks and tell the bitch to
shut her piehole.
--