MSC Lirica Mini Review

Old February 15th, 2004, 09:09 PM
cruisecluestoo

Default MSC Lirica Mini Review

This is just a mini review. We are working on a very extensive one on
our site that we hope to have finished soon. We will tell the good and
the bad.
First let me say the four of us had a wonderful time. I am not saying
everything was perfect and nothing went wrong. I am just saying we
made sure we were going to have fun. We did our homework before we
booked this cruise so we pretty much knew what to expect. Actually it
was better than we expected. We knew this was a value cruise. We paid
a value price. I researched the ports and kind of knew what to expect.
We chose this cruise because it would be a different experience. On
the way to the ship we were talking to the other passengers going on
the same cruise. We all said we didn't know what to expect and knew
that it was going to be different. I guess that is why they enjoyed
their cruise, too. Everyone in the van back to the hotel said they
enjoyed it but one couple.
I guess first impressions are very important. The first impression of
this ship is poor. I am not talking about the looks because this is
truly a beautiful ship. I am talking about the welcome aboard snack
they had in the buffet. It was probably the worst we have ever had. We
were truly beginning to worry,and so was everyone else. At dinner
that night wasn't a lot better, as things were hectic & rushed, so
that made things even worse. I must say the next day things did
improve. We had a wonderful waiter, Sebastiano. I can only say he got
better every day. We felt like we were leaving a friend behind. We ate
at second sitting so he had plenty time for us. A lot of times we
didn't need to ask him for things he already knew what we liked and
wanted . Best waiter we have ever had in our 19 cruises. We dined in
the L'Ippocampo. I am sure he helped to make this a wonderful
experience. We looked forward to having dinner with him every night.
We enjoyed the food that most passengers complained about. I did eat a
lot of pasta, risotto, and fish. Most of the beef wasn't that great
but some was. There are separate kitchens for the restaurants . Maybe
we were lucky to have the better one but I must say I likes most of
what I got to the surprise of many other passengers. I do like to try
different foods so that may help.
Cartagena
We had a wonderful time in all of the ports. We only took one tour
from the ship . I think they did a poor job in presenting the tours so
they didn't look appealing . We knew before we went that Cartagena was
not visited by many ships and knew it was dangerous. Again we did our
homework ahead before we booked. We had a wonderful time even though
there was a little too much shopping for me.
Montego Bay
We went to an all inclusive resort for the day so had a wonderful time
.. The ship was late getting in so that did cut us a little short. We
were on the first tender, too, but didn't feel in danger at any time.
The tender came in a little fast and made waves. It went back out and
came in very slow and we made it fine. After the Carnival ship left
our ship docked so we didn't need to tender back.
San Blas
I thought San Blas was a wonderful stop. The island was very small and
like a huge flea market, mostly hand made goods by the Kuna Indians.
We took a separate trip to the island where they live. What a
wonderful experience. I have never seen anything like it. They are
very kind soft spoken tiny little people. We also spent time on the
beach.
Panama Canal
We did not take a tour in Panama. We had a wonderful time just
enjoying the ship . I think we may have taken the trip to the country
club had they made it sound more inviting. Everyone that went seem to
enjoy it. I think every tour started and ended at the country club.
They served food and drinks (open bar I think). They also had a show
and the Kuna Indians were there to sell their molas .
Puerto Limon
We had a wonderful day in Puerto Limon. We took a tour from a taxi on
the dock. We did just about everything. The river tour, banana
plantation, in town to a grocery store to buy coffee, and then to a
wonderful restaurant for the best red snapper I have ever had. What a
view from the restaurant and to top it off wonderful music, and then
to the beach. What a wonderful day.
Key West
Bad day for everyone . 6:45am is just a little too early for me when I
am on vacation . This started out to be a bad day and didn't get much
better since we didn't get to go ashore . We didn't let it spoil our
day and just spent the day at the pool. That day MSC did a very poor
job getting activities together and had very little to do. They did
add a few more bingo sessions that day. What a joke. They need a back
up system in place for days when they can't get into port. Bad
planning. They could have at least given everyone a free drink, as
other cruise lines do, to make everyone feel a little better. More on
this in our other review.
We have so much more to say and I did say this was going to be a mini
review but got a little carried away. Hope to have our extensive
review up soon on our site.
Diane, cruiseclues

Old February 16th, 2004, 03:22 PM
cruisecluestoo

Just because I posted some of the things that needed to be corrected
doesn't mean we couldn't have a good time. Sometime you have to make
your own fun and not depend on others. We had wonderful service. The
waiter was the best we have ever had. Every one was very courteous,
helpful, and friendly except the America hostess like I said. When you
are patient and kind to others they will respond in the same way. The
ship is beautiful. There was music everywhere, all kinds. Les Brown,
Jr was excellent. If you like to dance he was there every night. We
enjoyed the food in the dining room, and the pasta on the pool deck.
Not all but most was very good. I have never been on a perfect cruise
yet. Every cruise has good and bad. We enjoyed the ports even more
than we expected. That is why we picked this cruise because we knew
this would be different. What did I say that made you think this
cruise was a disaster????
Old February 16th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Promethus

cruisecluestoo wrote:

What did I say that made you think this
cruise was a disaster????

You said:

1.The first impression of this ship is poor.

2.I am talking about the welcome aboard snack they had in the buffet. It
was probably the worst we have ever had.

3.At dinner that night wasn't a lot better, as things were hectic &
rushed, so that made things even worse.

4.Most of the beef wasn't that great but some was.

5.Bad day for everyone

6.That day MSC did a very poor job getting activities together and had
very little to do. They did add a few more bingo sessions that day. What
a joke.

7.Bad planning.

Any more questions?

Old February 18th, 2004, 03:12 AM
NuHomes

There is no reason to "sugar coat" an experience one has that is teribly bad. The only positive things we have to say about the Lirica a
1. It didn't sink
2. We learned a lesson
3. We are now back home planning our next cruise
on a ship we know will provide the experience we should have on the Lirica

Old February 20th, 2004, 10:28 PM
cruisecluestoo

"NuHomes" wrote in message alkabouttravelling.com...
There is no reason to "sugar coat" an experience one has that is teribly bad. The only positive things we have to say about the Lirica a
1. It didn't sink
2. We learned a lesson
3. We are now back home planning our next cruise
on a ship we know will provide the experience we should have on the Lirica

I don't need to "sugar coat" anything. You are the one who said it was
a terrible experience, not me. Why would you be upset about someone
else having a good time??? Maybe we went to have fun and found it. We
didn't go looking for things to ruin our cruise. I can say, a lot of
things you said in your report were incorrect but I sure didn't take
all of your review apart and tell you how wrong you were. May I ask
to what level above the room steward (who obviously didn't help) you
took your complaints?

Still a happy cruiser, Diane