Carrying Liquor in Suitcase?

Old June 24th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Von Fourche

Default Carrying Liquor in Suitcase?

I'm heading to Florida and want to take with me a bottle of my favorite
scotch whisky. Is it legal to carry bottle alcohol in check in luggage?
Can I carry it carry one? I don't want it to get broke and soak my cloths.
Would it be safe to carry it in check in?

Thanks!

Old June 24th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Take as many bottles as you can manage to haul in either check-in or
carry-on. If you are arriving in Florida from overseas, the technical limit
is one Liter of spirts. The ACTUAL limit is: "we at Customs have better
things to do--do not bother us with your single malts" because they have
found it unprofitable to exact the few bucks of duty due on a couple extra
liters of whisky (read: the Paperwork Reduction Act). I have had a
personal search which involved hauling bottle after bottle of gorgeous
single malt out of my suitcase, and was waved any fuss--overage on spirits
is a non-issue--you don't even have to mention it when you arrive.

That said, if you can get the Origine Benriach at the liquor department of
Albertsons food stores on special for about $22 on special, load up. Other
than that, Florida liquor stores have uninspiring malt selection at
uninspiring prices (except for cheap blends), so you are indeed better off
packing your own.

Old June 24th, 2005, 06:29 AM
RAK

"Von Fourche" wrote in message
ink.net...

I'm heading to Florida and want to take with me a bottle of my favorite
scotch whisky. Is it legal to carry bottle alcohol in check in luggage?
Can I carry it carry one? I don't want it to get broke and soak my
cloths.
Would it be safe to carry it in check in?

I only tried booze in a check-in suitcase once, wrapped in clothes. A sticky
liqueur, Benedictine I think. It broke, yuk.
I don't know if it is legal but it must be a fire hazzard.
Carry on is OK for one or two bottles. On international flights many
passenger are carrying botles from duty free.

Old June 24th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Von Fourche

"RAK" wrote in message
news:1119590957.de6028dbec328940b37959495b5dbbef@t eranews...

"Von Fourche" wrote in message
ink.net...

I'm heading to Florida and want to take with me a bottle of my

favorite
scotch whisky. Is it legal to carry bottle alcohol in check in luggage?
Can I carry it carry one? I don't want it to get broke and soak my
cloths.
Would it be safe to carry it in check in?

I only tried booze in a check-in suitcase once, wrapped in clothes. A

sticky
liqueur, Benedictine I think. It broke, yuk.
I don't know if it is legal but it must be a fire hazzard.
Carry on is OK for one or two bottles. On international flights many
passenger are carrying botles from duty free.

No international flight for me. I'm just heading from the mid west to
Florida for a week.

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Just in case anyone is interested: in China you are not allowed alcohol
in your carry-on luggage -- unless it is bought at the airport's
duty-free shop! I had a bottle of Chinese wine confiscated at security
in Beijing, just a couple of metres from the shop where I could have
bought any amount of the stuff to carry on with me. That kind of
illogical thing illustrates the difference between a totalitarian state
and a free society -- only the TSA could equal their implementation of
totally illogical rules.

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Miss L. Toe

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just in case anyone is interested: in China you are not allowed alcohol
in your carry-on luggage -- unless it is bought at the airport's
duty-free shop! I had a bottle of Chinese wine confiscated at security
in Beijing, just a couple of metres from the shop where I could have
bought any amount of the stuff to carry on with me. That kind of
illogical thing illustrates the difference between a totalitarian state
and a free society -- only the TSA could equal their implementation of
totally illogical rules.

Like not being allowed to carry two lighters through security but then being
able to buy more once you are through ??

Old June 24th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Rog'

"Von Fourche" wrote:
I'm heading to Florida and want to take with me
a bottle of my favorite scotch whisky. Is it legal
to carry bottle alcohol in check in luggage?
Can I carry it carry on? I don't want it to get
broke and soak my cloths.
Would it be safe to carry it in check in?

I have twice returned from Europe with 2 bottles of wine
packed in each of 2 suitcases. They were placed near
the back and bottom, separated and well-cushioned by
clothing, with no other hard or sharp-edged objects nearby
or in the top. No problem. =R=

Old June 24th, 2005, 04:09 PM
John R. Levine

I'm heading to Florida and want to take with me a bottle of my
favorite scotch whisky. Is it legal to carry bottle alcohol in
check in luggage?

Probably, but based on all the reports of stuff disappearing as
the TSA and their friends inspect your luggage, I wouldn't.

Can I carry it carry one? I don't want it to get broke and soak my cloths.

Sure. I usually get some big ziplog bags to put the bottles in, just in
case, then cushion them with underwear.

As someone else noted, is there some reason to think that you can't
just buy a bottle of it when you get there? Florida has no shortage
of liquor stores, and booze definitely makes your suitcase heavier.

Old June 24th, 2005, 06:07 PM
PTravel

"Von Fourche" wrote in message
ink.net...

I'm heading to Florida and want to take with me a bottle of my

favorite
scotch whisky. Is it legal to carry bottle alcohol in check in luggage?
Can I carry it carry one? I don't want it to get broke and soak my

cloths.
Would it be safe to carry it in check in?

Thanks!

Best call your airline and find out. Quite a few years ago, I tried to
carry some wine in checked luggage on a flight from LAX to Tokyo. I was
paged by the airline and forced to remove it from the checked bag and carry
it on. Their concern was that it might break and leak all over other
luggage (a valid concern, I'd think).

Old June 24th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Stan Horwitz

In article . net,
"Von Fourche" wrote:

I'm heading to Florida and want to take with me a bottle of my favorite
scotch whisky. Is it legal to carry bottle alcohol in check in luggage?
Can I carry it carry one? I don't want it to get broke and soak my cloths.
Would it be safe to carry it in check in?

Its probably legal, but you should check with http://www.tsa.gov for
official information or contact your airline to ask. Than again, why not
just buy some whisky in Florida? Its not like Florida doesn't have any
liquor stores and that way, you don't have to worry about lugging the
additional weight around with you.