Reporter's View of the Low End of the Cruise Industry

Old April 14th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Mark O. Polo

Default Reporter's View of the Low End of the Cruise Industry

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/...50414025.shtml

Aloha

Old April 15th, 2005, 11:55 AM

David Harris and Mark Sabbatini, author of the article referred to by
Mark O. Polo, seem to have an attitude similar to that of some extreme
environmentalists: Nature, including oceans, deserts, mountains, etc.,
is mine and any commercial enterprises that profit from it or uppity
middle class folks that use it ruin it.

John

Old April 15th, 2005, 03:13 PM

The entire premise of the =93article=94 in question is flawed. The
=93reporter=94 is going to force himself to go to a hot location that he
has stated he does not like, to participate in an activity, cruising,
which he has indicated he does not want to do or dislikes. He then is
to write an article as to why people like to spend time on a cruise
ship.

Is the linked article complete or is it multi part series. If it=92s
complete, it ends before he even sets foot on a ship. If it=92s the first
part of a series, why isn=92t that pointed out and an footnote as to when
it is to be continued.

Let=92s say I hate liver, and I do. I am then going to travel 4000 miles
to review 20 odd restaurants that only serve liver. How many positive
things do you think I will have to say? I do appreciate the fact that
the original author has been honest and stated up front that he has a
bias towards cruising.

My review of the article, very long winded with not much substance. How
many pages to say you hate cruise ships, responded to a spam e-mail,
bought a airline ticket and picked up a rental car. Learn to self-edit,
just because you do something, it doesn=92t mean it=92s interesting.

Old April 15th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Mark O. Polo

JLP20:

You make some good points and one has the feeling the journalist has
telegraphed his opinions even before the voyage begins; however FWIW is
the series schedule:

=95 Part one: Booking a bargain cruise.
=95 Part two (April 28): The impact of bargain cruisers in Florida and
the mechanics of getting them aboard.
=95Part three (May 12): Life aboard cruise ships and port stops - how
much of each is devoted to separating travelers from more of their
money?
=95 Part four (May 26): The highs and lows of an industry in which the
company's goals of fun and profit aren't always harmonious.

Aloha

Old April 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Chrissy Cruiser :

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:55:44 -1000, Mark O. Polo wrote:

JLP20:

You make some good points and one has the feeling the journalist has
telegraphed his opinions even before the voyage begins; however FWIW is
the series schedule:

• Part one: Booking a bargain cruise.
• Part two (April 28): The impact of bargain cruisers in Florida and
the mechanics of getting them aboard.
•Part three (May 12): Life aboard cruise ships and port stops - how
much of each is devoted to separating travelers from more of their
money?
• Part four (May 26): The highs and lows of an industry in which the
company's goals of fun and profit aren't always harmonious.

Aloha

Well summed, MP.

I think the keyword is "agenda"

--
dillon

Women should be obscene and not absurd.
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:29 AM

If it matters, I wrote to the editor of the website/newspaper in the
initial thread. I questioned their objectivity in running the article.
I pointed out that it took me four minutes doing a google search to
find three negative cruise/tourist articles.

I got a note back from them wanting my telephone number to verify who I
was, I assume they need that should they run something in the =93letters
to the editor=94 section. But they had no knowledge of what article I was
writing about. I sent back that the title of the article had been in
the subject line and that they should know what they put on their own
website the day before. For some reason, even after four days, they
have not gotten back to me.

Old April 19th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Mark O. Polo

JLP20:

If you sent the Juneau Empire the URL:

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/...50414025.shtml

they should have no trouble recognizing it. In any event, do keep us
posted on your discussion with them as this is interesting and unusual
to say the least. Maybe you can have a role in the series after it is
completed so as to provide another slant
on cruising.

Aloha

Old April 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Benjamin Smith

Mark O. Polo wrote:
http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/...50414025.shtml

Aloha

Excellent read. Analytical and humorous, the author clearly states his
biases and seems to be looking at the vacation from a variety of
angles. I look forward to next installment.

Ben S.