Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Old January 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy writes:

It depends how much you get paid.

Perhaps, but there is no such thing as a well-paid teaching job.

Of course there is, but how can you give an absolute ('no such thing')
for something subjective- i.e. 'well-paid.'

How much, per hour, do you consider 'well-paid.'

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 11/01/06 13:48, in article
1h903kq.df0pr0arcob6N%this_address_is_for_spam@yah oo.com, "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h
offy" wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Runge writes:

Teaching is a vocation, not a good pay job.

Teaching is charity work.

It depends how much you get paid.

Top American Universities often ask their star profs to teach
one course a semester, about 3 lecture hours per week. A full
Prof gets over $100,000 a year!

At the other end of scale, lower level US colleges hire a lot
of "adjunct professors" at poverty wages.

Old January 11th, 2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Mxsmanic :

Tim C. writes:

How do they find the time?

The source of income is usually a working partner.

Not the ones I knew.
--
Tim C.
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to (David Horne, _the_
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy)
:

How much, per hour, do you consider 'well-paid.'

We know that. About 1000. (in whatever units Mixi feels like using)
--
Tim C.
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tim C. wrote:

Following up to (David Horne, _the_
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy)
:

How much, per hour, do you consider 'well-paid.'

We know that. About 1000. (in whatever units Mixi feels like using)

It would have to be an important currency, no doubt!

Old January 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:41:44 +0100, Tim C.
wrote:

Following up to Mxsmanic :

It may not be enough to pay for food and shelter. Many ESL teachers
have other sources of income because teaching alone doesn't pay well
enough to live on.

How do they find the time?

and space for a mattress?

And a maîtresse?

Old January 11th, 2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Mxsmanic :

Many ESL teachers
have other sources of income because teaching alone doesn't pay well
enough to live on.

You have to teach in groups to make ends meet?
--
Tim C.
Old January 11th, 2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin :

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:26:34 +0100, Tim C.
wrote:

Following up to Mxsmanic :

Many ESL teachers
have other sources of income because teaching alone doesn't pay well
enough to live on.

You have to teach in groups to make ends meet?

Teach in or have sex in?

ah, *that* sort of "ends meet" ? blush. I don't think Mixi does either.
--
Tim C.
Old January 11th, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

DDT Filled Mormons wrote:
On 10 Jan 2006 23:19:35 -0800, "flyingdutchman"
wrote:

Thank you very much for the replies so far. I will take a look at the
eslcafe and see whats out there.. It doesnt have to pay that well as
long as i could afford food and shelter and some spending money that is
good for me.

I know a few people teaching here in Italy, and they do just fine. You
also need to be mother-tongue English too if you want to have a
chance. Actually, none of the guys I know even have their TEFL
certificate I don't think! The most important thing seems to be being
presentable, and having the right bits of paper to work.

I thought TEFL by definition meant not mother tongue English? But I may be
wrong, so please educate me.

--
Julie