…and a cast of thousands

Old August 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Sarah Banick

Default .and a cast of thousands

"Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote in message
Again you are judging the Chinese using American standards. I don't
know if they are old enough or not, but you can't judge age simply by
how they look and how much they weigh. They don't have the same
nutrition as an American.

Maybe if the Americans didn't go to McDonalds so much they'd weigh less.

That's a definite!

Gerry

The American women looked like what they are -- young women. There was
nothing wrong with their weight. The West is just used to seeing anorexic
women in magazines, movies, advertisements, etc.

And if the Chinese are putting this many resources into winning golds, it's
a good guess that they are paying attention to nutrition.

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:42 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

On Aug 26, 11:43*am, "Gerald Oliver Swift"
wrote:
Again you are judging the Chinese using American standards. *I don't
know if they are old enough or not, but you can't judge age simply by
how they look and how much they weigh. *They don't have the same
nutrition as an American.

Maybe if the Americans didn't go to McDonalds so much they'd weigh less.

That's a definite!

Gerry

I don't know how closely you were following this story, Gerry. I guess
you are not aware of the fact that appearance was not the main reason
these athletes are being accused of being underage. The real reason is
that in the last few years, several of them were entered in other
gymnastics competitions under different ages and birthdates. Then
suddenly the Olympics comes along and they have official Chinese
passports showing different birthdates. And a former Chinese gymnast
from the 2000 Olympics comes forward to admit she was underage at the
time. All of this together paints a picture that most people think is
worth investigating.

Furthermore, I don't understand your statement about the American
athletes' weight. These young women are fit and muscular. I seriously
doubt that their training regimes are taking them to McDonalds
regularly. Some are downright skinny (Nastia Liukin for example). In
the U.S., youngsters of all body types can self-select into the sports
they are interested in learning. So you have narrow framed girls like
Nastia Liukin competing against more muscular types like Shawn
Johnson, both of whom have had tremendous success in the sport.
Whereas in China, children are selected by the government based on
their body type and genetics to train for certain sports, and the more
muscular ones are likely to be send to train in a different sport
rather than gymnastics. The result is fairly uniform body types on the
Chinese sports teams. Another unintended consequence of this system
is in sports like basketball, where China does a great job of
selecting youngster who will end up very tall, like Yao Ming. So their
teams are flush with forwards and centers, but the shorter guys with
good ball handling skills that would be great point guards, likely end
up on the soccer team instead.

Christine Elowitt
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

On Aug 25, 4:55*am, Icono Clast wrote:
[Please note cross-posts.]

Move over, Busby Berekely and Cecil B. de Mille for Zhang Yimou who
has surpassed your vision and casts of thousands. I think the combined
opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are a show that
won't be surpassed during the lifetime of anyone living today. I
further believe that English needs to steal a new word to describe
what we saw.

I have prepared a an adjusted ranking of the top 23 medal-winning
countries that might be available this time tomorrow. Jamaica is
Number One, the USA 19, and China last.

Hi Ike,

I enjoyed the opening and closing ceremonies, as I always do. Though I
must admit that my favorite is still the modest opening ceremonies
that the people of Sarajevo put on for the 1984 Winter Olympics. What
I enjoy the most is the obvious joy and pride of the participants.
Thought I do admit that 1984 was the first year that I actually
remember watching the Olympics. (On a side note, my mom was part of
her high school choir and performed in the opening ceremonies of the
1960 Squaw Valley Winter Olympics).

Now, on to more important things - the closing ceremonies. I was
highly anticipating Jimmy Page's appearance, since I am a fan of Led
Zeppelin's music. Although he didn't disappoint, I was horrified by
the performance of Leonna Lewis, the British pop singer paired with
him. Of course, living up to Robert Plant's standards is difficult,
particularly for someone who was probably not even alive when Led
Zeppelin recorded the song she was singing. But this girl didn't even
seem to understand the style of the song or what rock and roll is. I
hope this is not an indication of the what the London Olympics in 2012
will be like!

Christine Elowitt
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:32 AM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
memiki

Ike wrote:
Miki asked:

Why do you cross post? Does it serve a special
purpose other than saving you time?

I thought this particular subject to be of interest to the groups to
which it's cross-posted. I further thought that if there were any
comments, they, too, might be of interest. But you, and others, have
the option (that I notice you ignored) to change or eliminate the
groups you regard as "other" even though you know where you can find
me. That's why I make it a point to let you know what I've done.

It's interesting to note the differences with the same post being the
last in each group:
[Dance] * * * * * * * * 17 messages, * *9 authors
[USA-Canada] * *18 messages, 10 authors
[Europe] * * * * * * * *21 messages, 11 authors

Ike -- I am not sure what you meant when you addressed me in your post
with, "But you, and others, have the option (that I notice you
ignored) to change or eliminate the
groups you regard as "other" even though you know where you can find
me........."

If you were referring to the fact that I replied to a post from
Australia, I did not know that post was a cross post as your OP did
not state as such. That said, I do not believe there is an option to
change or eliminate groups from r.a.d on my Google newsreader. It's at
times like this, that I wish there were......

Miki
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Sugarcc

Hey!! Fancy meeting you here. I don't come here often, usually the cruise
caribbean newsgroups.
Since we live near Canada's east coast we often cruise to the caribbean from
north-eastern ports.
We had booked the first cruise of the Azamara Quest to several caribbean
islands where the larger ships can't dock but alas and alack the 1st voyage
was postponed and we had other cruises scheduled around it.
LOVE the caribbean, especially the southern islands and ports.

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:07:13 -0700 (PDT), Icono Clast
wrote:

On Aug 25, 4:55 am, Icono Clast wrote:
[Please note cross-posts.]
I have prepared a an adjusted ranking of the top 23 medal-winning
countries that might be available this time tomorrow. Jamaica is
Number One, the USA 19, and China last.

http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Olymp08.pdf

Considering that I don't particularly want to live in the
Caribbean, and looking at #2, I think it's a great way of
listing the results:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com

Old September 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 02:44:36 -0400, "Sugarcc"
wrote:

Hey!! Fancy meeting you here. I don't come here often, usually the cruise
caribbean newsgroups.
Since we live near Canada's east coast we often cruise to the caribbean from
north-eastern ports.
We had booked the first cruise of the Azamara Quest to several caribbean
islands where the larger ships can't dock but alas and alack the 1st voyage
was postponed and we had other cruises scheduled around it.
LOVE the caribbean, especially the southern islands and ports.

Which group did you post from?

Apart from the place we met, I could be reading this on any
one of rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe or
rec.travel.asia, as I hang out on all of those:-)

My only sojourn in the Caribbean was a short stint between
continents in Charlotte Amalie. Lovely spot.

Cheers, Alan, Australia