Worth staying in a classy hotel?

Old July 14th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Madonna

Default Worth staying in a classy hotel?

Tchiowa wrote:
It bothers
me whenever one of them posts that unless you live on $5 a day you
can't experience the local culture. That, of course, implies that
everyone is poor and that any local who has any level of financial
success automatically loses his culture.

I think the point is more about the Hiltons, Marriotts, ... are more or
less similar all over the world. It's a bit like going to a McDonald's
in Nova Scotia, ordering a McLobster, then saying you've 'experienced
local food delicacies'.
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Tchiowa

Miguel Cruz wrote in message ...
Tchiowa wrote:
It's kind of like saying that unless you sleep in the doorway of a
department store and urinate all over the BART entrances and eat in a soup
kitchen you can't experience the true culture of San Francisco.

Wait - what's wrong with that?

Michael Moore will put you in one of his films and say it's Bush's fault.
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:27 PM
John W.

Madonna wrote in message m...
Tchiowa wrote:
It bothers
me whenever one of them posts that unless you live on $5 a day you
can't experience the local culture. That, of course, implies that
everyone is poor and that any local who has any level of financial
success automatically loses his culture.

I think the point is more about the Hiltons, Marriotts, ... are more or
less similar all over the world. It's a bit like going to a McDonald's
in Nova Scotia, ordering a McLobster, then saying you've 'experienced
local food delicacies'.

But... most locals wouldn't stay in some of the places I've stayed, so
I'm not sure if a shabby, run-down hostel in the backstreets of Seoul,
for example, count as experiencing local culture. I'd say if a
person's going to 'experience' a culture they'll do it regardless of
where they're staying. Besides, you can't really do that without
spending a good bit of time in a place; I know lots of people that
consider themselves 'learned' about a culture after only a week in
country.

John W.

Old July 15th, 2004, 12:47 AM
PTRAVEL

"Madonna" wrote in message
Tchiowa wrote:
It bothers
me whenever one of them posts that unless you live on $5 a day you
can't experience the local culture. That, of course, implies that
everyone is poor and that any local who has any level of financial
success automatically loses his culture.

I think the point is more about the Hiltons, Marriotts, ... are more or
less similar all over the world.

That may be true in the US, but, at least with respect to Marriotts, is not
true internationally. Many international Marriotts were formally
individually-owned grand hotels. In Rome, the Marriott is the Grand Flora,
which is quite unique (and quite nice). In London, it's now called
Grosvernor Square -- I don't know the original name -- but it has a
completely unique character. Same for the Champs Elysees Marriott in Paris.
Not only is it the only hotel on the Champs Elysee, but it has a unique
Parisian character not at all like any of the other international Marriotts.
The same is true in Milan. The JW was, to my knowledge, built specifically
as a Marriott, but it is quite spectacular and has nothing in common with
the American implementations except the name.

It's a bit like going to a McDonald's
in Nova Scotia, ordering a McLobster, then saying you've 'experienced
local food delicacies'.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. I've stayed in 5-star "local hotels"
as well as the international chains, and there is nothing to distinguish the
two except that one will give me frequent stay points.

Old July 15th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Miguel Cruz

Tchiowa wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
It's kind of like saying that unless you sleep in the doorway of a
department store and urinate all over the BART entrances and eat in a soup
kitchen you can't experience the true culture of San Francisco.

Wait - what's wrong with that?

Michael Moore will put you in one of his films and say it's Bush's fault.

Free soup AND a part in a movie - it's hard to find anything about this not
to like.

miguel
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Madonna

John W. wrote:

But... most locals wouldn't stay in some of the places I've stayed, so
I'm not sure if a shabby, run-down hostel in the backstreets of Seoul,
for example, count as experiencing local culture. I'd say if a
person's going to 'experience' a culture they'll do it regardless of
where they're staying.

If you stay in a 5-star hotel or resort, eat at their restaurant, take
organized tours, and shop around tourist traps the experience is more
about sightseeing than a cultural one.

Besides, you can't really do that without
spending a good bit of time in a place; I know lots of people that
consider themselves 'learned' about a culture after only a week in
country.

That's true. For people with a fixed budget, staying in a less
expensive hotel means being able to stay a lot longer and have more time
to learn the culture. 1 week is just barely enough to get over the
culture shock and jet lag.
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Madonna

PTRAVEL wrote:

That may be true in the US, but, at least with respect to Marriotts, is not
true internationally. Many international Marriotts were formally
individually-owned grand hotels. In Rome, the Marriott is the Grand Flora,
which is quite unique (and quite nice). In London, it's now called
Grosvernor Square -- I don't know the original name -- but it has a
completely unique character. Same for the Champs Elysees Marriott in Paris.
Not only is it the only hotel on the Champs Elysee, but it has a unique
Parisian character not at all like any of the other international Marriotts.
The same is true in Milan. The JW was, to my knowledge, built specifically
as a Marriott, but it is quite spectacular and has nothing in common with
the American implementations except the name.

Interesting. I should add a visit to the local Marriott whenever I go
somewhere.

It's a bit like going to a McDonald's in Nova Scotia, ordering a McLobster,
then saying you've 'experienced local food delicacies'.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. I've stayed in 5-star "local hotels"
as well as the international chains, and there is nothing to distinguish the
two except that one will give me frequent stay points.

That's what I mean. 5 star hotels isolate you from the country you're
in, it's like a bubble isolating you from the country you're in. It
brings home to a foreign land. Sacrificing the princely comfort will
give you more of a local flavour, you may have to eat rice with
chopsticks instead of steak with a fork, the waiter may not speak
perfect english, the train ride will show more of the country than a
plane over it...