Has Southwest Airlines banned aspartame from the cockpit?

Old August 13th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Peter Duniho

Default Has Southwest Airlines banned aspartame from the cockpit?

"Rutger" wrote in message
om...
It sounds pretty silly on the face of it. Aspartame is consumed in vast
quantities - if it was dangerous, it'd have shown up by now.

Peanuts have been consumed in vast quantities for a long time too.
I've *never* personally known or even heard of anyone having having
any peanut allergy problems, yet we see all kinds of warnings labels
on products containing peanuts these days.

They haven't banned them from the cockpit though.

Aspartame has some very real, well-documented medical issues with it. But
only for a relatively small segment of the population. The issues should be
used to educate potentially susceptible people, but it wouldn't make sense
to base a global ban on aspartame on those issues.

Pete

Old August 13th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Jim Baker

"Rutger" wrote in message
om...
Dylan Smith wrote in message

In article , Paul G

wrote:
Let's keep out of the debate over aspartame's safety. This is an
exercise in getting some primary source evidence. I just want to find
out if SWA does indeed have such a policy. Are there any crew out
there who can confirm or deny?

It sounds pretty silly on the face of it. Aspartame is consumed in vast
quantities - if it was dangerous, it'd have shown up by now.

Peanuts have been consumed in vast quantities for a long time too.
I've *never* personally known or even heard of anyone having having
any peanut allergy problems, yet we see all kinds of warnings labels
on products containing peanuts these days.

My wife's college roommate's 12 year old son was allergic to peanuts. He
died from it. No bull. There's one.

JB

Old August 13th, 2004, 03:25 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Baker wrote:

My wife's college roommate's 12 year old son was allergic to peanuts. He
died from it. No bull. There's one.

The Knoxville News Sentinel has a columnist named Sam Venable. His son is violently
allergic to them. That's two.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.

Old August 13th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Charles Newman

I have to agree. During the summer time where I live, I gets hot enough
that
I consume incredble quantities of soda, mostly diet, and I do not suffer any
ill effects.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old August 13th, 2004, 08:58 AM
C J Campbell

wrote:
Let's keep out of the debate over aspartame's safety. This is an
exercise in getting some primary source evidence. I just want to find
out if SWA does indeed have such a policy. Are there any crew out
there who can confirm or deny?

It sounds pretty silly on the face of it. Aspartame is consumed in vast
quantities - if it was dangerous, it'd have shown up by now.

Peanuts have been consumed in vast quantities for a long time too.
I've *never* personally known or even heard of anyone having having
any peanut allergy problems, yet we see all kinds of warnings labels
on products containing peanuts these days.

Aspartame metabolizes into 10% methyl alchohol, a potent neurotoxin,
in the human body. Methanol, as we know, then metabolizes into
formaldehyde. Nice stuff.

Here's just one of thousands of references:

You have fallen victim of a hoax. The 'thousands' of references are in fact
not written by any of the people who are claimed as the authors. They can be
traced to an individual calling herself "Nancy Markle" who invented a
non-existent world conference and wrote a bunch of bogus scientific papers
that were supposedly presented at the conference. It appears that this
person is a Sevia dealer who was disappointed that 'her' product was not
approved by the FDA and who has created a huge conspiracy theory where the
FDA has conspired with Monsanto in order to conceal the truth about
aspertame.

You can find more than 6000 sites and studies on the internet trashing
aspertame. None of the studies are real.

TI: Neuropsychological and biochemical investigations in
heterozygotes for
phenylketonuria during ingestion of high dose aspartame (a sweetener

Phenylketoneurics are the only people that have a legitimate cause to worry
about aspertame, but such persons must also avoid many other more common
foods such as milk, eggs, and hamburgers.

From The American Academy of Pediatrics:

http://www.aspartame.net/media/opinion/op_aspint.html

"Although a 330 ml can of aspartame-sweetened soft drink will yield about 20
mg methanol, an equivalent volume of fruit juice produces 40 mg methanol,
and an alcoholic beverage about 60-100 mg. The yield of phenylalanine is
about 100 mg for a can of diet soft drink, compared with 300 mg for an egg,
500 mg for a glass of milk, and 900 mg for a large hamburger (1). Thus, the
amount of phenylalanine or methanol ingested from consumption of aspartame
is trivial, compared with other dietary sources. Clinical studies have shown
no evidence of toxic effects and no increase in plasma concentrations of
methanol, formic acid, or phenylalanine with daily consumption of 50 mg/kg
aspartame (equivalent to 17 cans of diet soft drink daily for a 70 kg adult)
(1, 2).

The anti aspartame campaign purports to offer an explanation for illnesses
that are prominent in the public eye. By targeting a manufactured chemical
agent, and combining this with pseudo-science and selective reporting, the
campaign makes complex issues deceptively simple. Sensational web site names
(eg, aspartamekills.com) grab the browser's attention and this
misinformation is also widely disseminated via chat groups and chain
e-mail."

This hoax has also been debunked by the FDA, the American Academy of Health
and Science, and every other reputable health organization. If you have a
problem with aspartame, rest assured that you have a problem with a great
many other foods that people normally eat.