London to Chicago direct -- choice of four airlines

Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:24 AM
Johnny Dee

Default London to Chicago direct -- choice of four airlines

Hello,

I'm planning a trip from London to Chicago in November.

The prices are all pretty similar, timings are all pretty similar...
I've got a choice of British Airways, American Airlines, United
Airlines and Air India.

I've flown with BA and UA before -- I was planning on trying out AA
this time as they seem to make out that they have significantly more
legroom. Air India I'm probably not going to consider because their
fare is only £18 cheaper than American, and you're getting a plane
that's full of tired passengers with stale air en-route from India to
the US...

So, for economy class, can anyone comment on the choice between BA, UA
and AA for a transatlantic flight?

Thanking you!

Gavin Dee
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:27 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Johnny Dee" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm planning a trip from London to Chicago in November.

The prices are all pretty similar, timings are all pretty similar...
I've got a choice of British Airways, American Airlines, United
Airlines and Air India.

I've flown with BA and UA before -- I was planning on trying out AA
this time as they seem to make out that they have significantly more
legroom. Air India I'm probably not going to consider because their
fare is only £18 cheaper than American, and you're getting a plane
that's full of tired passengers with stale air en-route from India to
the US...

So, for economy class, can anyone comment on the choice between BA, UA
and AA for a transatlantic flight?

Which FF miles are more valuable to you ?
They are the only thing that will remain after memories of the flight have
gone.

P.S. I'd avoid BA like the plague, they are nothing but trouble.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:35 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
Miss L. Toe wrote:

So, for economy class, can anyone comment on the choice between BA, UA
and AA for a transatlantic flight?

Which FF miles are more valuable to you ?

I don't think you can even *enroll* in BA's FF program without flying
on a full-fare economy (or higher) ticket. Even if he is already a
member, BA will only give him 25% of the miles for discounted economy.

P.S. I'd avoid BA like the plague, they are nothing but trouble.

BA can be alright, especially in business, but I don't know why anyone
would choose them over AA. At the end of the day, they are all about
the same, except that AA has more legroom, and BA is stingy with miles.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
Henry

Johnny Dee wrote:

Air India I'm probably not going to consider because their
fare is only £18 cheaper than American, and you're getting a plane
that's full of tired passengers with stale air en-route from India to
the US...

Not to mention the stinking and/or flooded toilets, the surreptitious
smokers and the completely hapless cabin crew.

cheers,

Henry
Old September 23rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Jeff Hacker

"Johnny Dee" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm planning a trip from London to Chicago in November.

The prices are all pretty similar, timings are all pretty similar...
I've got a choice of British Airways, American Airlines, United
Airlines and Air India.

I've flown with BA and UA before -- I was planning on trying out AA
this time as they seem to make out that they have significantly more
legroom. Air India I'm probably not going to consider because their
fare is only £18 cheaper than American, and you're getting a plane
that's full of tired passengers with stale air en-route from India to
the US...

So, for economy class, can anyone comment on the choice between BA, UA
and AA for a transatlantic flight?

American's inflight international service is decent in economy class. The
disadvantage vs. BA is that they charge for booze, but that shouldn't be too
big a deal. The extra legroom IS very noticeable and very welcome.

Thanking you!

Gavin Dee