Stupid european airlines require Thai visa before boarding

Old October 25th, 2003, 06:53 PM
AsiaWanderer

Default Stupid european airlines require Thai visa before boarding

hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa covering the
length of your stay, or they won`t let you board.
The Berlin Thai embassy will only give me a 2 month visa,
so, what to do?

All this is silly, since the Thais give on-arrival one
month "entry permits", no visa required (for my country),
and I won`t be in the country more than a month before
travelling elsewhere.

thanks in advance
Old October 25th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Markku Grönroos

"AsiaWanderer" wrote in message
om...
hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa covering the
length of your stay, or they won`t let you board.
The Berlin Thai embassy will only give me a 2 month visa,
so, what to do?

Buy a one way ticket to Asia?

All this is silly, since the Thais give on-arrival one
month "entry permits", no visa required (for my country),
and I won`t be in the country more than a month before
travelling elsewhere.

That's only your version about the truth. Thai authority possibly don't take
it so and might nail the carrier. Carriers are very reluctant to take any
chances.

Old October 25th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Sjoerd

"AsiaWanderer" schreef in bericht
om...
hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa covering the
length of your stay,

Or an onward ticket out of Thailand to any other country for which you have
/or don´t need a/ visa.

: or they won`t let you board.
The Berlin Thai embassy will only give me a 2 month visa,
so, what to do?

Buy an onward ticket out of Thailand. Refundable if you haven´t fixed your
travel plans yet.

All this is silly, since the Thais give on-arrival one
month "entry permits", no visa required (for my country),
and I won`t be in the country more than a month before
travelling elsewhere.

But the Thai authorities are entitled to ask for proof that you will leave
Thailand after your 30 day stay. They never do this in practice, but are
entitled to do so. And if they do and you don´t have a return or onward
ticket, they may fine the airline. So airlines are not stupid at all.

Sjoerd

Old October 26th, 2003, 02:47 AM
Sjoerd

"Thomas F. Unke" schreef in bericht
(AsiaWanderer) writes:

hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa covering the
length of your stay, or they won`t let you board.
The Berlin Thai embassy will only give me a 2 month visa,
so, what to do?

I have the same experience with several airlines in Germany.

I normally flew to Thailand without a visa at all, having my return
flight several months later.

At checkin, they ask for a visa. I thell them that I don't need a visa
for a stay of 30 days. They complain that my return flight is later. I
tell them that I travel to neighbouring countries, returning to
Thailand at the end of the tour. They make a lot of noise, check their
computer about Thai visa regulations. I show them my credit cards and
other funds.

Finally they let me fly. But it was a hassle. And I'm not sure about
the future. This happened with LH, BA, KLM.

In case you have a visa, the situation may be better. Thailand would
not refuse you with a visa, even if your return flight is after the
visa has expired.

Stupid regulations. The airlines now start to do some preemptive visa
check, just like a passport officer. But these are just ground
stewardesses without any knowledge.

Nothing stupid.

Here are the official rules from Thai Immigration:

Passport required (recommended to be valid 6 months after
period of stay. However, Thai immigration will accept passports
which are only valid for period of intended stay).

Visa not required for a max. stay up to 30 days provided
holding confirmed return/onward ticket. Extension up to 10 days

possible. Fee THB 500.- (1 photo required).

If holding APEC Business Travel Card together with passport:
visa not required.

Entry may be refused if of "hippy" appearance.

Airline staff may travel on standby ticket together with an
airline-identity card.

Visitor must hold all documents for next destination.

If being over 12 years of age visitor must also hold
sufficient funds (e.g. letter of credit, vouchers, MCOs
or well-known credit cards) to cover period of stay (not
applicable if holding re-entry visa).

Non-compliance with the visa regulations will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of passenger;
- fines for the airline of THB 20,000,-;
- overstay fine for passenger of THB 200,- per day.

Timaticweb Version 1.3

Old October 26th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Chris Blunt

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:52:21 GMT, Thomas F. Unke
wrote:

(AsiaWanderer) writes:

[...]

This rule has always existed, but was not normally enforced in the
past. Thailand has recently begun tightening up on visa regulations,
and I think this has prompted the airlines to be a bit more careful
when applying the rules.

Old October 26th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Sjoerd

"Sjoerd" writes:

Nothing stupid.

Here are the official rules from Thai Immigration:

Yep. And the Thai officer is making a decision if he let me in or
not. It is not the duty of a stewardess to check this.

It is when the airline can be fined THB 20,000.

Especially when I tell her that I'm fully responsible for my flight and

that I will
pay for my return flight in case I'm refused entry.

The airline may still be fined THB 20,000.

The other poster had an even more extreme example: He arrives with a 2
months visa in BKK, but his return flight is 6 months later. The
airlines threaten not to transport him. This is not the responsibility
of the airline to control my onward travel.

You are under no obligation to fly with any airline, but when you do, you
have to follow their rules. If you don't want to, you can also take the bus.

Sjoerd

Old October 26th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Kris

Here are the official rules from Thai Immigration:

Where did you get these from? The 'hippy appearence' one is funny. I
can see it happen, Thai police deporting half of Khao San ghetto in
big trucks

Kris

Old October 26th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Sjoerd

"Kris" schreef in bericht

Here are the official rules from Thai Immigration:

Where did you get these from?

Via the www.emirates.com website. Click on traveller information, then
visa/health information.

Sjoerd