First time advice on Thailand

Old November 30th, 2004, 01:51 AM
lou

Default First time advice on Thailand

Stupid as this may sound, I have had mixed opinions on whether to take a
sleeping bag to Thailand (between March and September) or not - some say
it is pointless and hot, others say its a great mattress. As a new
traveller I was wondering if anyone has any other little known tips
they could divulge about what to take and what to do. I am headed for
Koh Tao March-June to do a lot of diving and then spending some time
exploring the rest of the country - and hopefully some of Laos too.
Also my blood appears to be the tastiest in the world as mozzies ALWAYS
go for me out of a group. Any tips on keeping the little b*****ds away?!

would be greatful for the help
lou

--
lou
lou's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=254

Old November 30th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Ralph Holz

Hi,

Stupid as this may sound, I have had mixed opinions on whether to take a
sleeping bag to Thailand (between March and September) or not - some say

No need, I say.

Also my blood appears to be the tastiest in the world as mozzies ALWAYS
go for me out of a group. Any tips on keeping the little b*****ds away?!

DEET - 30%.

Ralph

Old December 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
six-toes

lou wrote in message ...
Stupid as this may sound, I have had mixed opinions on whether to take a
sleeping bag to Thailand (between March and September) or not - some say
it is pointless and hot, others say its a great mattress. As a new
traveller I was wondering if anyone has any other little known tips
they could divulge about what to take and what to do. I am headed for
Koh Tao March-June to do a lot of diving and then spending some time
exploring the rest of the country - and hopefully some of Laos too.
Also my blood appears to be the tastiest in the world as mozzies ALWAYS
go for me out of a group. Any tips on keeping the little b*****ds away?!

would be greatful for the help
lou

no need to lug a bag as you can buy a spleeping "mattress" in Tescos
or Big C supermarket if you need it .300-500 bahts
eat marmite ?
and garlick

Old December 6th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Missifer

I am going to Thailand in march also and have been doing some research.
We are going backpacking and i am going to bring something to sleep in
for sure... you never know if you will need it b/c you may not always
know where your going to be staying. If your stayin in hostels the
matresses may by gross so i'd bring somethign to cover them with and
sleep on. I read that people like to bring their own pillowcases to....
then your not worrying what your layin your face one and it can serve to
keep dirty clothes in when your travelling.

--
Missifer
Missifer's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=281

Old December 7th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Miguel Cruz

Missifer wrote:
I am going to Thailand in march also and have been doing some research.
We are going backpacking and i am going to bring something to sleep in
for sure... you never know if you will need it b/c you may not always
know where your going to be staying. If your stayin in hostels the
matresses may by gross so i'd bring somethign to cover them with and
sleep on. I read that people like to bring their own pillowcases to....
then your not worrying what your layin your face one and it can serve to
keep dirty clothes in when your travelling.

You will not be staying in hostels in Thailand.

If I find a particularly unpleasant pillow I just use a t-shirt as a
pillowcase. I really don't think very many travelers carry bedding around in
Thailand; it really doesn't seem worth the effort unless you are
extraordinarily squeamish.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:33 AM
OumO

"Missifer" wrote in message

I am going to Thailand in march also and have been doing some research.
We are going backpacking and i am going to bring something to sleep in
for sure... you never know if you will need it b/c you may not always
know where your going to be staying. If your stayin in hostels the
matresses may by gross so i'd bring somethign to cover them with and
sleep on.

If matress gross, what ever you cover on top will be gross as well , after
contact. Unless you wash your cover next morning. Then you must shower your
self and wash your cloth. If you want clean, do'nt backpack.

Old December 7th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Missifer

Yeah... good points. Not to squimish with germs... but bugs...
cockroaches..:| ick...What about shoes? Seeing as how i am going to be
backpackin i will want a good pair of hikers... but won't it be
irritatin takin them off before enterin every building? Anyone have any
good tips on what brands of backpacks to buy... i dont' want to get some
chinsey one and wreck my back while there.