Seoul during Chinese New Year

Old January 10th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Monica

Default Seoul during Chinese New Year

I have booked a trip to go to Seoul for Chinese New Year with my 4 year old
kid.

I was told that Seoul is practically closed down during Chinese New Year.
Does the shopping centres and the restaurants all close for the holidays ?
Which are the places that are open ?

Any suggestions to go during that period ?
My kid has never seen snow. How could I bring her to see snow in the ski
resorts near by ?
Which one is recommended based on near distance and child friendliness ?

Its seems nobody goes to Seoul in this newsgroup. I hope somebody will give
me some tips.

Thanks
Monica

Old January 10th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:25:05 +0800, the renowned "Monica"
wrote:

I have booked a trip to go to Seoul for Chinese New Year with my 4 year old
kid.

I was told that Seoul is practically closed down during Chinese New Year.
Does the shopping centres and the restaurants all close for the holidays ?
Which are the places that are open ?

Any suggestions to go during that period ?
My kid has never seen snow. How could I bring her to see snow in the ski
resorts near by ?
Which one is recommended based on near distance and child friendliness ?

Its seems nobody goes to Seoul in this newsgroup. I hope somebody will give
me some tips.

Thanks
Monica

You could consider heading to Sorak (Seorak) on the East coast. It's
about 5 hours from Seoul, IIRC, by bus. Try google and your travel
guidbooks for more info. I've only been there in the summer (and in
Seoul in November when it was gray and cold). There are closer ski
resorts to Seoul.

Here's one of the sights in the area:
http://www.parandeul.co.kr/kwonkeumsong.htm

http://www.kirkwood.cc.ia.us/esl/mtsorak.htm

You may well find snow right in Seoul anyhow in early Feb. It's
supposed to be snowing there right now, and on Friday.

Here in Toronto I sometimes see tourists from HK etc. dancing around
and taking photos when they see their first snow. If they stay around,
however, they get very tired of it around the end of January. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:52 PM
John W.

Monica wrote:

Any suggestions to go during that period ?

Take plenty of warm clothes. It can be bitter cold in Korea in winter.

My kid has never seen snow. How could I bring her to see snow in the

ski
resorts near by ?
Which one is recommended based on near distance and child

friendliness ?

Its seems nobody goes to Seoul in this newsgroup. I hope somebody

will give
me some tips.

I like Seoul, but if you're in Korea I'd suggest both Pusan and
Kyongju. Kyongju is beautiful, especially if there's snow around. Pusan
is just a fun place, or was when I lived there (which was ten years
ago, so it could have changed). You could also go to Cheju, an island
just off the southern coast of Korea; there should be snow on that
island's central peak.

John W.

Old January 11th, 2005, 04:23 PM
John W.

Monica wrote:
Could somebody advise me on the Chinese New Year question ? Thanks

I was in Korea for Chinese New Year and I don't recall it being all
that different from any other day.

John W.