Travellers cheques to Thailand?

Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:04:59 -0800, "PeterL"
wrote:

"justme" wrote in message

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
oups.com...

You will pay a small fee to cash traveller's checks in Thailand. And
it's becoming harder and harder to find places that will cash them.

Most banks will buy them alright.

And most banks now say "whats a travelers check"

Not true.

forget it and get with the 21st century and use the ATM they are safer

Again not true. ATM cards are more convenient in many locations. But they
are definitely not safer than TC's.

and
much faster...

Depending on location.

It takes me about 60 seconds to get money out of an ATM. How can you
encash travelers checks faster than that?

Chris

Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:30 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti viestissä

Likewise, if you lose your record of the serial numbers of your TCs
they will also be impossible to replace. You can just as easily get

This is true. So, keep them in a secure place. One such place is an
e-mailbox for instance.

the TC receipt stolen as you can a backup ATM card.

You don't actually need the receipt. However, data in it may be helpful.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:31 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti viestissä
It certainly doesn't instill much confidence in travelers checks
knowing they have such limited acceptability.

In Thailand this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Miguel Cruz

Viviane wrote:
Shop around. We have accounts with 2 different banks in Australia. Got
home from a trip to Thailand to find one charged us $5 for the privilege of
withdrawing our money overseas. The other charged nothing. Guess which
account we closed down.

Which was the bank that charged nothing? That could be useful to others.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
Tchiowa

Markku Gr=F6nroos wrote:
"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti viestiss=E4
It certainly doesn't instill much confidence in travelers checks
knowing they have such limited acceptability.

In Thailand this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Actually under the scenario that Chris provided you would have the same
problem in Thailand. ATM cards work everywhere. Why play the game with
TCs?

Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Tchiowa

Markku Gr=F6nroos wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestiss=E4

Replacing the travelers checks involved several international phone

calls
at
my expense (because it was on a weekend and the in-country office

was only
open Monday-Friday) and about a half-day of traveling to get to the

nearest

I have been involved once and no international calls were required.

Actually
I didn't make any calls myself. All decisions were made in Bangkok (I

was on
Phuket myself).

American Express office that had the special power of check

replacement,
on
Monday when it opened.

American Express office in Bangkok (which is wired to several places

around
the kingdom) keeps open all the time.

Nonsense. The Amex office on Paholyothin is open during normal business
hours, Monday through Friday.

Also Siam Commercial Bank who is their primary representative in
Thailand is open 10 - 7.

http://www.americanexpress.com/thail...default.shtml=
?thailand_en_nav=3DPAGELINK_homepage

Replacing the Citibank ATM card required a reverse-charges (free

for me)
phone call to a 24-7-365 number, and it was delivered to my hotel

within
48
hours.

I don't have such a card myself.

So get one.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Tchiowa

Markku Gr=F6nroos wrote:
"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestiss=E4
ups.com...

It is easy to replace an ATM than a lost traveller's check. It's also

Perhaps syphilis is eating your brain away. Tell me where I can get

this
card then

People with an attitude like you just displayed probably can't get a
decent ATM card. The rest of us can get one from just about any bank or
credit union that they do business with.
Perhaps if you grow up maybe someday you'll be eligible, too.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Markku Grönroos

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti viestissä
It certainly doesn't instill much confidence in travelers checks
knowing they have such limited acceptability.

In Thailand this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Actually under the scenario that Chris provided you would have the same
problem in Thailand. ATM cards work everywhere. Why play the game with

I have always had Thai money in my pockets until I have found a bank to sell
my cheques.

TCs?

Haven't I said this a zillion times befo they are refundable when they
get lost.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
ups.com...

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestissä

[...]

The head office clearing the claims in Bangkok is open all the time.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:57 PM
Markku Grönroos

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
ups.com...

It is easy to replace an ATM than a lost traveller's check. It's also

Perhaps syphilis is eating your brain away. Tell me where I can get

this
card then

People with an attitude like you just displayed probably can't get a
decent ATM card. The rest of us can get one from just about any bank or
credit union that they do business with.
Perhaps if you grow up maybe someday you'll be eligible, too.

You did not bother to answer my question: which bank in Finland?