Bangkok

Old November 29th, 2005, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Bangkok

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:53:52 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article .com,
says...

What's the matter with me is that I don't think it is good for Thailand
for you to be making those absurd remarks about Khao San Road and
effectively encouraging people to go there.

Once again, KSR is an excellent place to hang out for a few days and
organise your travelling.

LOL!

Unless you have not been there in many years and use 3rd hand
information to judge the place !!!
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

You insulted all my Thai friends with your comments and you made ridiculous
claims about what a wonderful
socially fulfilling place it is.

******Titchy........ You have NO friends Thai or otherwise.

Please stop trying to lay guilt trips on others especially when you have
been caught out once again with your blithering nonsense.

;-)

Old November 29th, 2005, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
And by the way, all my Thai friends are insulted that you think they
are prostitutes and drug-dealers. They've asked me to pass on the
message to you that you're not welcome in their country with that kind
of attitude.

***** A bit tough Chris......... After all his contributions to the economy
of the GoGo Bars is ledgendary as his name on the wall of the Neveada a GoGo
in Pattaya attests.

;-)

Old November 29th, 2005, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:08:18 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article .com,
says...

Cheapness is not the key selling point of KSR. It's full of travel
agencies, restaurants catering to westerners, hotels, internet cafes,
fellow travellers etc. It's an ideal base for organising trips, getting
visas, exchanging ideas with other travellers. Plus it's centrally
located, in walking distance of the Grand Palace and other attractions

My 2 cents worth.... There is an entire sub-culture of people that
call themselves 'backpackers' who genuinely like to travel around.
However they do it not for the experience of exposure to new cultures,
but rather do it to see where they can go with the least possible
expense. This is usually at such cost to the locals (bargaining
without end, comparing deals, passing on the 'best place' to go i.e.
cheap) that I'd rank them right up there with tour groups. Both types
of people hang out together, have little interest in the local society
where they happen to be visiting, and are much more likely to frequent
'westerners, western hotels, internet cafes, restaurants catering to
westerners' etc etc. and both groups contribute little to the local
economies.
Both groups are pretty shallow and limited in their outlooks.

How can it be any kind of fraud? At weekends there are literally
hundreds of perfectly normal Thai people in some of the bars in KSR.

No there aren't.

And how would you know if you haven't been there for years ?

I asked my wife about this. To put her response into perspective- she
is 29 yrs old, has a BA from Chukalorn (or however you spell it) and a
Masters in Economics from Melbourne University (no I'm not Aussie) and
works for the Thai gov't. The office where she works has about 350
employees. They don't have any strong opinions of Khao San Road.
Generally they don't much think about it, except to note as an aside
that the foreigners there are 'very young' and 'hippies' and that
there 'sure are a lot of bars there'. The idea that it's becoming
trendy for yuppie Thais has actually some merit. But the feeling is
that they will be driven out in short order by the crassness of the
foreigners. That is- it's ok to be exposed to them in small doses, but
familiarity breeds even more contempt than normal.

Is it or is it not true that Khao San Road is "the place to go" for
foreigners to score drugs?

I have never seen anybody selling drugs in KSR, nor have I been offered
drugs in KSR. But I've been offered drugs, even heavy ones in Europe
(Amsterdam, just to make an example). I guess Europe must be a cesspool?
Or perhaps KSR is not as drug-infested as you like to think ?

Actually you are perfectly correct on this one. Most of europe is a
huge cesspool.

By the way, not all foreigners are on drugs and prostitutes.

They might not be on drugs, but the vast majority of them are on
prostitutes.

So why would anyone want to go to Khao San Road to associate with
farangs who have serious drug problems or to associate with the locals
who are supplying them?

Maybe you are the one who has a problem.

I think you both have a problem.

Old November 30th, 2005, 05:48 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 29 Nov 2005 04:56:31 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

You made up this baseless claim that every
Thai person in Khao San Road is either a prostitute or a drug dealer.

And you are the one who keeps lying about what I said. Please show me
where I said that every Thai person in Khao San Road is either a
prostitute or a drug dealer. I didn't say it. The fact that you have
now twice repeated the same lie implies that you're getting a tad
desperate.

You must be blind. Here it is for the third time:

On 27 Nov 2005 21:17:22 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:
"The only Thai you'll see on Khao San Road are those who are "on the
game"."

You must have a much better search tool than I have. I have looked at
that statement forwards, backwards, upside down, downside up, outside
in, inside out, sideways, front ways and every other way. I just don't
see the word "prostitute" in there.

The Thai selling fake passports are "on the game". The Thai selling
other fake documents are "on the game". The Thai selling fake purses
and shirts are "on the game". The Thai trying to get the farang to the
gem store are "on the game". The Thai scamming drunk farangs in other
ways are "on the game".

Now, you have flat lied several times. You do it again below. If you
had anything that resembled ethics you would apologize.

But if you think that the drug dealers, prostitutes, scam artists, fake
product dealers, gem hustlers, rip-off artists, drug users, drunks,
etc. that are the primary habitues of Khao San Road are "normal Thai"
then I doubt you have enough ethics to do that.

We'll see.

You are the only one to have insulted Thai people here, and you should
be ashamed of yourself for it.

The people there are what they are. Your assumption that all Thai
people are like what you see in Khao San Road is an insult.

You get drug dealers all over Thailand,

Yes.

in fact all over the world,

Yes.

no more and no less in Khao San Road.

Absolutely wrong, and that's the point. The place is crawling with
them.

I've never seen any, and I've been there many times. Its only you (who
never goes there) that "sees" these drug-dealers in your imagination.

55555555555555 You've never seen drug dealing in Khao San Road?????
You're either lying again or you are the single most naive, unaware
tourist that ever walked that road.

You get rich drug addicts and you
get poor drug addicts. Wealthy superstars are just as likely to get
involved in drugs as any other sector of society. If you don't like
Khao San Road, just say so any leave it at that.

I did. Then you (and a couple of others) jumped in and described is a
heaven on earth, or close to it. You insulted all my Thai friends with
your comments and you made ridiculous claims about what a wonderful
socially fulfilling place it is. You expect anyone to let you leave
those statements unchallenged????

I said I enjoyed the way ordinary (read non-drug taking/dealing) Thai
people go there to enjoy themselves and mix with the tourists there.
That's all I said. I don't believe any Thai people would be insulted
by that.

Lying again. You said that is was about the only place in Thailand that
could be done.

And by the way, all my Thai friends are insulted that you think they
are prostitutes and drug-dealers. They've asked me to pass on the
message to you that you're not welcome in their country with that kind
of attitude.

And all my Thai friends who you said aren't normal because they don't
deal drugs think you're a fool.

Maybe you should quit hanging out in Khao San Road and you'd meet a
completely different class of Thai and have a different opinion of
them.

Maybe. Of course that would depend on your ethics. We'll soon see about
those, won't we?

Old November 30th, 2005, 08:01 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

On 29 Nov 2005 21:48:46 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
[...]

Bull****. "On the game" is a slang term for a prostitute. You know it,
I know it, and everyone else knows it. It took me a couple of minutes
to come up with plenty of references which confirm that, the first
half-dozen of which I've listed here. Not a single one of those refers
to any of those other meaning for the term "on the game". You said all
Thai people in Khao San Road are prostitutes and you're not doing a
very good job of squirming your way out of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexual_slurs#G
http://www.allwords.com/word-be%20on%20the%20game.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-sexual-slurs#wp-G
http://www.streetlightsupportservice...reettalk2.html
http://www.londonslang.com/db/o/
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/o.htm

Now, you have flat lied several times. You do it again below. If you
had anything that resembled ethics you would apologize.

But if you think that the drug dealers, prostitutes, scam artists, fake
product dealers, gem hustlers, rip-off artists, drug users, drunks,
etc. that are the primary habitues of Khao San Road are "normal Thai"
then I doubt you have enough ethics to do that.

Apologize for what? The people I referred to were none of those
things. The rest is your imagination.

I've never seen any, and I've been there many times. Its only you (who
never goes there) that "sees" these drug-dealers in your imagination.

55555555555555 You've never seen drug dealing in Khao San Road?????
You're either lying again or you are the single most naive, unaware
tourist that ever walked that road.

Never, and since you never go there I'm in a much better position to
make a judgment than you.

[...]

I said there were a few entertainment venues there where Thais and
foreigners regularly mix together. You might know of others, great,
but so what, that doesn't detract from what I saw there.

One thing is for sure, you don't get many Thai people in the Las Vegas
go-go bar in Pattaya where you reported taking a bunch of girls out
from. And don't worry, before you call me a liar again, there are
enough reference to that scattered around the internet which I can
point to if necessary.

And by the way, all my Thai friends are insulted that you think they
are prostitutes and drug-dealers. They've asked me to pass on the
message to you that you're not welcome in their country with that kind
of attitude.

And all my Thai friends who you said aren't normal because they don't
deal drugs think you're a fool.

I said no such thing. Are you sure its not you who is on drugs?

Maybe you should quit hanging out in Khao San Road and you'd meet a
completely different class of Thai and have a different opinion of
them.

What other class of Thai? The cocaine dealers that deliver to moneyed
guests in 5-star hotels of the kind you stay in? No thanks, I'll stick
with the normal guys who hang out with their friends listening to live
bands in Khao San Road music bars.
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 29 Nov 2005 21:48:46 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

The Thai selling fake passports are "on the game". The Thai selling
other fake documents are "on the game". The Thai selling fake purses
and shirts are "on the game". The Thai trying to get the farang to the
gem store are "on the game". The Thai scamming drunk farangs in other
ways are "on the game".

Bull****. "On the game" is a slang term for a prostitute.

No it's not. It may be one way that some people use the term but like
anything else it depends on the context in which it is used. If you
look back at the part of the post you snipped in order to try to prove
your point you'll see that it was used in the context of people trying
to scam drunk farangs. *Very specific* context. But you ignore that
hoping to make your point.

You know it,
I know it, and everyone else knows it. It took me a couple of minutes
to come up with plenty of references which confirm that, the first
half-dozen of which I've listed here. Not a single one of those refers
to any of those other meaning for the term "on the game".

If you look in a dictionary of "sexual slurs" you're going to find
"sexual slurs". Did that surprise you?

You said all
Thai people in Khao San Road are prostitutes and you're not doing a
very good job of squirming your way out of it.

Lying again. Just can't help yourself, can you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexual_slurs#G

And if you read that you'll notice 2 things (I should say if you're
*honest* you'll notice 2 things). One is that this is only used in the
UK that way. I'm not a Brit and neither are the Thai people I was
talking about and they are not in the UK. So UK slang is just a little
bit irrelevant.

Second thing is you'll notice that damn near all of the words have
multiple meanings, depending on the context (nasty word for people like
you, "context"). For example "gagy". In one context it means
"homosexual". In another it means "happy". In another it means
"brightly colored". Once again, it depends on the context.

So, yet again, if you look at the whole post (including the part you
snipped) it is very clear the context it was used in.

But more specifically, you said I called them "prostitutes" and I did
not. You knew it when you said it. You lied. You have been given a good
chance to back off and apologize but instead you play weasel with words
hoping to duck out.

The drug dealers, scam artists, counterfeiters, drunks, dopers, etc.
that hang out in Khao San Road all have one thing in common: a serious
problem with ethics and morality. Unfortunately you just demonstrated
why you think that is "normal".

I've never seen any, and I've been there many times. Its only you (who
never goes there) that "sees" these drug-dealers in your imagination.

55555555555555 You've never seen drug dealing in Khao San Road?????
You're either lying again or you are the single most naive, unaware
tourist that ever walked that road.

Never, and since you never go there I'm in a much better position to
make a judgment than you.

And you have made it clear now why you hang out there. It's also clear
why you are so vociferously defending the place. You think all of that
is "normal".

I said I enjoyed the way ordinary (read non-drug taking/dealing) Thai
people go there to enjoy themselves and mix with the tourists there.
That's all I said. I don't believe any Thai people would be insulted
by that.

Lying again. You said that is was about the only place in Thailand that
could be done.

I said there were a few entertainment venues there where Thais and
foreigners regularly mix together. You might know of others, great,
but so what, that doesn't detract from what I saw there.

No, you said "one of *THE* few" (accent added). That quite specifically
means that there aren't very many. So you are not just saying that it
is a place where Thai and foreigners mix, you are saying that it hardly
ever happens anywhere else. BIG difference.

Plus, you specifically added the adjective "normal" to the word Thai.
Again, implying first that the dopes in Khao San Road are "normal" and
second implying that the Thai who associate with farangs in other
places are *not* normal (again, when you said "one of *THE* few
places").

Context is everything.

One thing is for sure, you don't get many Thai people in the Las Vegas
go-go bar in Pattaya where you reported taking a bunch of girls out
from. And don't worry, before you call me a liar again, there are
enough reference to that scattered around the internet which I can
point to if necessary.

Wrong in so many ways. First, in the go-go bars the employees are all
Thai. Second, that bar hasn't existed for close to a decade (5 years at
least, more I'm pretty sure). Third, I haven't been in it for a number
of years myself.

But going even farther, you seem to think that because someone has
"enjoyed the nightlife" that he is somehow unqualified to comment on
the seedier side of Thailand. Of course just the opposite is true. Plus
the completely irrelevant remark (a la morons like e-Dog and Larby) is
a rather pitiful attempt to jump off the subject with what you thought
would be a clever little personal slur. Didn't work.

But it does point out something that makes us different. Many (most?)
foreigners try the night scene at least once. It's legendary. Some try
it for quite a while. Most, like me, eventually grow out of it and
enjoy the better parts of Thailand. I haven't been in that bar, or any
other like it, for many, many years. You, on the other hand, still hang
out in Khao San Road.

A clear difference.

And by the way, all my Thai friends are insulted that you think they
are prostitutes and drug-dealers. They've asked me to pass on the
message to you that you're not welcome in their country with that kind
of attitude.

And all my Thai friends who you said aren't normal because they don't
deal drugs think you're a fool.

I said no such thing. Are you sure its not you who is on drugs?

I didn't say they were prostitutes. I didn't accuse *ANY* of your
friends of being prostitutes. But you said that the people in Khao San
Road are normal and since a very high percentage (again, most?) are
drug dealers, prostitutes, scam artists, counterfeiters, dopers,
drunks, etc. So that means you are saying that is what normal Thai are
like.

Maybe you should quit hanging out in Khao San Road and you'd meet a
completely different class of Thai and have a different opinion of
them.

What other class of Thai?

Employed Thai. Educated Thai. Hard working Thai. Honest Thai. The Thai
that *I* would call "normal". You and I clearly have a different
definition of "normal".

The cocaine dealers that deliver to moneyed
guests in 5-star hotels of the kind you stay in? No thanks, I'll stick
with the normal guys who hang out with their friends listening to live
bands in Khao San Road music bars.

Nope. I don't hang out with drug dealers nor do I hang out in drug
areas. Another difference between us.

Bottom line, you had your chance to demonstrate some ethics. Instead
you chose to demonstrate "Khao San Road-ism".

Kind of sad, actually.

Old November 30th, 2005, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wrong in so many ways. First, in the go-go bars the employees are all
Thai. Second, that bar hasn't existed for close to a decade (5 years at
least, more I'm pretty sure). Third, I haven't been in it for a number
of years myself.

*****But your name is still on the wall Titchy!!!!
And there is no doubt you were and still are a grubby little sex tourist.

From: "Joao Borboleta"
Date: Fri Jan 14, 2000 6:16 pm
Subject: re can any Pattaya Bar Hound do me a favour

Send Email

Well, let me give you a slightly different piece of advice than others have
given you:

Buchiento huambo, tango b'chio.

That's Cucongo (an African language spoken in the Congo River basin).
Specifically it's Fiote (or N'Binda if you're a purist.)

Loosely translated it means:

"So many women, so little time"

(OK, so it's not all THAT different than what others have said.)

***** "So many women, so little time"

I wonder what Mrs. Neilson thinks of that little gem Titchy???????

Old December 1st, 2005, 05:59 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

€ wrote:

[...]

Oh, cruise ship passengers.