What would you have done about this idiot?

Old September 14th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default What would you have done about this idiot?

PTRAVEL wrote:
Yes, I suppose they could, e.g. cigarette lighters. I have no idea
whether a cellphone can crash a plane. The airlines seem to think they
could and, more to the point, I've read about a couple of incidents in
which it appears they nearly did. I'm not going to let my distrust of the
airlines extend to the point of risking my personal safety -- if they say,
"don't use them," then people shouldn't use them.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the airline claims - especially given how they
vary from one airline to another - but one thing I'm sure of is that I am in
no position to second-guess them. I do not design aircraft equipment and I
am not a radio engineer. For that reason, when it comes to safety rules, I
do what they say.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 14th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Peter Benie

In article ,
User968758 wrote:
What's apparent is that no one who has reponded actually has any factual
knowledge about the dangers of cell phones, Blackberrys, or other electronic
devices.

The CAA recently released a paper on the "Effects of Interference from
Cellular Telephones on Aircraft Avionic Equipment":

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP2003_03.PDF

My own "belief" is that, if they were in the slightest bit dangerous,
they'd be banned.

The use of cellular phones while airborne has been banned by the FCC
since 1991. This is due to the phone being visible to too
many cells simultaneously. The FAA ban portable electronic equipment
that has not been checked by the aircraft operator for interference
with navigation and communication systems.

FCC Regulations Sec 22.925
FAR Part 92.21

Peter
Old September 14th, 2003, 11:44 PM
mrtravel

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

They are banned. FFM

User968758 wrote:

What's apparent is that no one who has reponded actually has any factual
knowledge about the dangers of cell phones, Blackberrys, or other
electronic
devices. My own "belief" is that, if they were in the slightest bit
dangerous,
they'd be banned.

They are banned. FFM

They aren't BANNED from the aircraft. If they were truly that dangerous,
they would NOT be permitted onboard or every one would be checked to see
that it was turned off before take off and then locked away until landing.

(please excuse me for moving your top post to the bottom)

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:05 AM
mrtravel

Peter Benie wrote:

My own "belief" is that, if they were in the slightest bit dangerous,
they'd be banned.

The use of cellular phones while airborne has been banned by the FCC
since 1991. This is due to the phone being visible to too
many cells simultaneously. The FAA ban portable electronic equipment
that has not been checked by the aircraft operator for interference
with navigation and communication systems.

FCC Regulations Sec 22.925
FAR Part 92.21

Banned by the FCC for communications issues with multiple cells, not
banned by FAA as a flight hazard, except that it hasn't been checked for
interference by the airline. In fact, AA recently did this for ground
use and found that there was no problem. Now, AA permits usage on the
ground, on the aircraft types that were tested.

However, if cell phones are such a big hazard to flight operations, why
are they permitted onboard the plane?

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Paul Middlestat

I don't know how to respond to this. Airlines allow all sorts of things in
the cabin which could constitute potential hazards if misused.

I have to agree with others. If you are not sure that he was actually
sending & receiving emails I would have ignored the individual. Now had
he pressed the [send] button -- and the aircraft started a barrel roll --
I then would have notified one of the FAs.

When using my Visor (a palm-like product made by Handspring) on one flight
I made the mistake of answering a question about the by use of the unit with
"Just responding to some email." Which freaked the person besides me until
I explained that the device only receives/sends emails when connected to a
computer. I can reply to an emails and then send those message when I was
in the office later in the day.

I adhere to the 'no electronics' rule as announced by the flight crew.
But will stop flying the day the airlines allow cell phone use during the
flight.
Old September 15th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Whytoi

In article , Mark
Hewitt wrote:

I think the issue with using electronic devices during take off and landing
is the same reason you have to put your tables upright etc.. i.e. if there
is a major problem they don't want cellphones / laptops etc flying around
the plane in addition to everything else which might not be secured.

Maybe airlines should fit self-tensioning seat belts. I note that many
passengers just have their seat belts loosely wrapped around their
belly and pass FAs' safety walk about. In a crash, they fly!
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Larry Smith

I would have made an issue of it.
The law is the law, and rules are rules.

Whether this dumb**** was actually risking your life, and his, is for the
experts to decide.

Old September 15th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Larry Smith

Their use, as Frank says, during certain periods IS banned.

Old September 15th, 2003, 02:59 AM
ra

Whytoi wrote:
In article , Mark
Hewitt wrote:

I think the issue with using electronic devices during take off and landing
is the same reason you have to put your tables upright etc.. i.e. if there
is a major problem they don't want cellphones / laptops etc flying around
the plane in addition to everything else which might not be secured.

Maybe airlines should fit self-tensioning seat belts. I note that many
passengers just have their seat belts loosely wrapped around their
belly and pass FAs' safety walk about. In a crash, they fly!

Technically, their top half would fly, leastways till it hit the
bulkhead. The bottom half would crash into the seat in front of them.

Old September 15th, 2003, 05:25 AM
PTRAVEL

"Paul Middlestat" wrote in message
m...
[...]

And the rule is: Turn off all portable electronics (which includes
Blackberries and Visors, whether or not they are transmitting email) until
the plane climbs above 10,000 feet. On what basis do you pick and choose
which rules you'll follow and which you won't?