Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old August 14th, 2006, 05:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Hatunen

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 03:29:20 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:

Carole Allen wrote:

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:47:32 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

I hate to have to admit this, but I have a Junghans watch which synchronises
with the MSF transmitter (it is 10 years old). And I have both a computer
and a PDA. At which point the comparison with Mixi is at an end. Rumour hath
it that he is finding Paris too hot in the Summer and is thinking of
relocating to Seattle.

JohnT

Dear Mixi: it rains here 390 days each year.

Isn't it true that the average rainfall in Seattle is less than that of
some other major US cities?

It's not the total yearly rainfall; it's the relentlessness.

Old August 14th, 2006, 05:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Hatunen

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 09:44:00 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Sarah Banick

True, but I think that's a different question.

No, its the question I was responding to. No matter what socioeconomic class
you are, an Englishman can get across the Channel to France much quicker
(and probably cheaper) than I can get to the nearest beach.

and most Europeans can just get in the car and drive into a
country with a different language in a few hours. You can do it
by accident!

Many Europeans can drive into a part of their own country with a
different language in less that a few hours.

Old August 14th, 2006, 05:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Hatunen

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:41:52 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Ley writes:

It's getting near impossible to find anyone with a watch
these days, it's another thing the mobile phone has killed.

I'm not sure I see the connection. How have mobile phones killed
watches?

Apparently (and this still surprises me) mobiles have replaced the old fob
watches. People actually pull them out and look at them to ascertain the
time, rather than looking at their wrist. I have NO idea why.

I'm not following: fob watches aren't worn on the wrist.

Old August 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Sarah Banick

Hey, watch your attributions. I know that it's only the Balkans that are
balkanized (they are mountained?)

Ah, I see, you have quoted text without quote thingies. Trying to
trick me, hah. You were lucky I didint do a long explanation of
the history of Europe and the European colonies and how native
americans, if left alone would have become small nation states,
so its one of the loons who thinks Europe "Balkanised", one of
the ones I dont read anymore I expect, Tchowa reverse engineered
history, possibly?
--
Mike Reid
I will agree bendybuses are a good idea when they build bungalows on Mayfair
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Carole Allen

I once knew a guy who spent 6 months on some glacier somewhere near
the North Pole. It was just him and one other guy - monitoring some
sort of technical equipment. Doesn't that sound nice? No loud
ruffians to disturb your day, no hot sweaty days, no nasty commutes,
no alcohol.

I was up for it till then!
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Jim Ley

lots of Londoners have fancy watches, total waste of money IMHO.

They do?

they do, City status symbols.

Why do you need to find people with watches?
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Mxsmanic

I'm not sure I see the connection. How have mobile phones killed
watches?

sigh, they have a clock.
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Hatunen

I assume its largely true then, except for some trivial nitpick.
Why is *cable* TV important? I'm about to ditch mine.

Well, I've seen Finnish TV without cable, and trust me, cable is
important.

how is it better than satellite or freeview?
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Jordi

and more
and better TVs.

Which is also true for here, check other replies.

I love "more and better TVs". Civilation judged by how many big
TVs, at least do it by the programmes if you must be that
shallow!
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Miguel Cruz

The functions performed by a mobile phone are a superset of those
performed by a watch (i.e., phones do everything watches do, and a whole
lot more).

except in a boring play where you phone is off but you still want
to know if it might end soon. If I'm doing something time
critical like climbing a mountain, I find the watch much more
convenient.
Around the house I don't carry a mobile and whilst driving its
probably illegal to look at the phone, safer is lifting the wrist
to be visible in the windscreen.