Airline Routes....

Old July 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Brownz \(mobile\)

Default Airline Routes....

Is there a website / map that shows what *actual* route BA fly BA0287 from
LHR - SFO ?
Just interested in what I'll be flying over !!

--
Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS

Old July 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Brownz (Mobile)" wrote in message
Is there a website / map that shows what *actual* route BA fly BA0287 from
LHR - SFO ?
Just interested in what I'll be flying over !!

--
Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS
'53 JCW MCS (Cage)
http://www.brownz.org/

There are sites that will show you where you went but none that I am aware
of that will tell you in advance. I've done that route several times and
going west I've entered the US somewhere near Chicago, South of Winnipeg and
between Vancouver and Seattle (that was spectacular going down the range of
mountains that includes Mt St Helens) that I can remember. In general
terms you'll head up across the UK then Greenland, Hudsons Bay and so on.
Coming back the route tends to be further south and usually I've come across
the US to cross into Canada in northern Michigan then up the St Lawrence,
south of Greenland and usually over Northern Ireland and Merseyside.

Here is the route for today.
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...h tNumber=287

Old July 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Brownz \(mobile\)

Graham Harrison wrote:
[...]

Cool - Ta.

Never flown direct to the West Coast so was interested to see which way it
would go.

Cheers.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS

Old July 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:22:36 +0100, "Brownz \(Mobile\)"
wrote:

Is there a website / map that shows what *actual* route BA fly BA0287 from
LHR - SFO ?
Just interested in what I'll be flying over !!

I've flown that route several times. It goes up by james
Bay/Hudson Bay, over northern Greenland then from the northwest
into LHR. I was rather startled the first time I did it SFO-LHR
to find ourselves directly over Wndsor Castle.

Old July 29th, 2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

wrote:

Is there a website / map that shows what *actual* route BA fly BA0287 from
LHR - SFO ?
Just interested in what I'll be flying over !!

I've flown that route several times. It goes up by james
Bay/Hudson Bay, over northern Greenland then from the northwest
into LHR. I was rather startled the first time I did it SFO-LHR
to find ourselves directly over Wndsor Castle.

Why?

Everyone knows they built it to close to the airport...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

Kurt Ullman wrote:

We went to WC before our taking off from LHR a few weeks ago.
Having flown into Reagan Nat'l a couple of time with it rather
circutious route, I was surprised that they let the jets fly over the
castle like that .

Why would that be an issue?
King George doesn't live in the UK
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
mrtravel wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

We went to WC before our taking off from LHR a few weeks ago.
Having flown into Reagan Nat'l a couple of time with it rather
circutious route, I was surprised that they let the jets fly over the
castle like that .

Why would that be an issue?
King George doesn't live in the UK

But the Queen would also be a very high value target.
Besides the Reagan Nat'l approach predates 9-11 and GW by a couple
decades.
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
george

On Jul 29, 10:22*pm, "Brownz \(Mobile\)"
wrote:
Is there a website / map that shows what *actual* route BA fly BA0287 from
LHR - SFO ?
Just interested in what I'll be flying over !!

--
Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS
'53 JCW MCS (Cage)http://www.brownz.org/

Of course the route depends on the weather and the head winds. One
time I had one of my most interesting flights ever. We flew over the
Outer Hebrides, Iceland, central Greenland (the black cliffs which
look like bites have been taken out of them and the contrasting strong
pure white snow is excellent, and it's interesting to see how clouds
are not white but pale gray when compared to the Ice Cap), across
Disco Bay, Greenland, the Canadian arctic islands, and then along the
canadian Rockies in Alberta crossing into the US at Idaho (a fairly
small target!) and then down the coast with every snow capped volcano
in sight from the Canadian border on south. Much more interesting
than routes further south, although the ice pack off of the tip of
southern Greenland can be interesting if you've never seen it before.
It was almost enough to get me to give up aisle seats!!!!

George
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
mrtravel wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

We went to WC before our taking off from LHR a few weeks ago.
Having flown into Reagan Nat'l a couple of time with it rather
circutious route, I was surprised that they let the jets fly over the
castle like that .

Why would that be an issue?
King George doesn't live in the UK

But the Queen would also be a very high value target.
Besides the Reagan Nat'l approach predates 9-11 and GW by a couple
decades.

Windsor Castle is largely a ceremonial place these days. Yes the Queen
(and other members of the family) do live there sometimes but by no means
all the time. If you look at the approach that come over central London
the number of possible targets is enormous. Windsor pales into
insignificance.