Vietnam Airlines passenger sets off emergency slide

Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
geno.y

Default Vietnam Airlines passenger sets off emergency slide

On Aug 23, 2:57 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
grusl writes:
Why on earth would you touch the handle at all? Doesn't have big a red "do
not touch" sign?

No, it doesn't.

So is the fine really 50 million dong? It says "up to," so I suspect you'll
be able to negotiate your way out.

The amount of $23,000 mentioned is just about the cost of restowing the
slide/raft.

Note that the article was from a Hong Kong news paper and the $23k is
in Hong Kong dollars. That's about $3,000 US or €2,000 EUR.

mmmh, I wonder what this little red handle does?

Geno
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , grusl says...

I remember one aggressive business-class passenger on a HAN-HKG flight
demanding that his son be allowed to sit in the cockpit. The Zimbabwean
pilot declined, even though his Vietnamese co-pilot said refusal would bring
trouble.

Luckily I don't travel so often in Vietnam.

By the way, will you be in Bangalore in the first half of October?
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
. ..
In article , grusl says...

I remember one aggressive business-class passenger on a HAN-HKG flight
demanding that his son be allowed to sit in the cockpit. The Zimbabwean
pilot declined, even though his Vietnamese co-pilot said refusal would
bring
trouble.

Luckily I don't travel so often in Vietnam.

By the way, will you be in Bangalore in the first half of October?

Oh, Vietnam's not so bad for travelling, really - easier than India in some
ways. And a few landings in a Lao Aviation ATR-72 make you pine for Vietnam
Airlines. (Just like Bouraq and Mandala made me appreciate Garuda's
professionalism).

I imagine I probably would be here in October ... not planning to go
anywhere too far until early November.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
grusl writes:

Oh what, is it a brass handle that says "Knock and enter"?

Usually something like "Emergency use only" or "Exit."

No, it's the cost to him of not putting him in prison until he atones for
his foolish action. I've been on dozens of VN flights .. the passengers
paw
and grab at everything and everyone.

It's also pretty close to the cost of stowing the raft/slide. They are
very
expensive to put back into service.

I saw one being packed at the UAL base in San Francisco many years ago.
It's a slow and surprisingly skilled process although I found it difficult
not to equate it to a maid trying to lace her mistress into a corset in the
Victorian era.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , grusl says...

I imagine I probably would be here in October ... not planning to go
anywhere too far until early November.

I might be in Bangalore in October - how can I contact you?
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 24th, 2008, 05:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , grusl says...

I imagine I probably would be here in October ... not planning to go
anywhere too far until early November.

I might be in Bangalore in October - how can I contact you?
--

Either through the Gmail or Hotmail addresses you see me post with, or if
you search my name on Writerfind.com, you'll see all sorts of super-secret

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old August 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
mrtravel[_2_]

grusl wrote:
wrote in message

Please read the news below and advise if the emergency door can be
opened just by touching the handle. What is the credibility of the
story.

Should this forum is not for such discussion then please accept my
apology

From http://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaki...il.asp?id=2138

Why on earth would you touch the handle at all? Doesn't have big a red "do
not touch" sign?

Maybe the sign wasn't in Vietnamese.
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
mrtravel[_2_]

Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , grusl says...

I've been on dozens of VN flights .. the passengers paw
and grab at everything and everyone.

Great. Why don't they walk into the pilot's cabin in mid-flight and
start playing with the controls?

The door is locked.
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..

From http://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaki...il.asp?id=2138

Why on earth would you touch the handle at all? Doesn't have big a red
"do not touch" sign?

Maybe the sign wasn't in Vietnamese.

VN aircraft have signs in Vietnamese. And judging by the OP, if he wrote it,
he comprehends English quite well.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old August 25th, 2008, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , grusl says...

I've been on dozens of VN flights .. the passengers paw and grab at
everything and everyone.

Great. Why don't they walk into the pilot's cabin in mid-flight and start
playing with the controls?

The door is locked.

They're often not.

Cheers,