european union passport stamps

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
yawnmoth

Default european union passport stamps

I visited France, recently, and got two different kinds of stamps.
Upon entering, I got a stamp signifying that I had come in via ferry.
I tried to do a Google search for pictures similar to the stamp I got
and found these:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/382...f40436.jpg?v=0
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum... _denmark.jpg

They're not exact, but they're close. The fact that those two, alone,
are different, makes me think that maybe the stamp for coming in via
sea has changed over time? Or maybe different ships signify different
things?

Anyway, when I left, I got another stamp signifying that I was leaving
by train. It looked like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgreer/216373187/

Google searches suggest that all European Union passport stamps look
fairly similar. My question is... do all countries in the European
Union stamp your passport when you enter and again when you leave?
Also, what other types of stamps are there? There are stamps for,
near as I can tell, entering / exiting via sea and entering / exiting
via train. There's also a stamp for entering / exiting via plane
[1]. Are their stamps for walking from one country to another? Are
there even places in Europe where you can legally do that? What about
entering / exiting by car?

[1] http://static.flickr.com/110/299432999_a151964382.jpg
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"yawnmoth" wrote in message
[...]

As a British Citizen I haven't had a European stamp for at least 20 years.
It doesn't seem to matter if I go to an EU country, non EU country,
Schengen, non-Schengen. However, apart from Poland I haven't travelled
much in what used to be called Eastern Europe.

Old August 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Graham Harrison wrote:

"yawnmoth" wrote in message
I visited France, recently, and got two different kinds of stamps.
Upon entering, I got a stamp signifying that I had come in via ferry.
I tried to do a Google search for pictures similar to the stamp I got
and found these:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/382...f40436.jpg?v=0

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum.../istockphoto_5
297921_passport_stamp_from_copenhagen_denmark.j pg

[...]

I got one entering Slovenia by rail from Austria in 2006- no idea why-
wasn't expecting one!

I entered Slovenia again by bus from Croatia on the same trip, and no
stamp that time...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)