Trip Report: Fear and Loathing in Manhattan (ABQ-ORD-LGA-EWR-ORD-ABQ)

Old December 10th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Olivers

Default Trip Report: Fear and Loathing in Manhattan (ABQ-ORD-LGA-EWR-ORD-ABQ)

The Bill Mattocks muttered....

"DALing" daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com wrote in message
ah, Bill, we just have your best interests at heart...

I know, I know. And don't think I don't appreciate it. Nothing like
torturing drug addicts to show them the error of their ways. That'll
work.

I suspect that no small part of your unhappy hours in NYC may have bbeen
due to a traditional furriner's perspective of the subway system, suburban
rail or regular railroad travel. Even with a 30lb backpack, there were
some easily accessible (with no more walking) alternatives to the Milford
as long as you're willing to forego "Midtown Manhattan" (in exchange for
Lower Manhattan, a couple of parts of Brooklyn, or as mentioned NJ.
Shucks, given where you were working, you could have commuted from
Connecticutt and not walked 10 blocks. Time? Yes, but in contrast to us
puir Southwesterners, those rich in sophistication new Yorkers seem unfazed
by hour commutes.

Like the personnel at EWR, NYC hoteliers (except those in the fashionable
high dollar boutiques) seem a surly lot to those of us who stay in
Fairfields and Courtyards out here in the big empty middle. For four
decades, I've gotten a preferential rate at an old midtown hotel, the
Warwick. Today, the preferential rate is only a slightly more modest
extortion, and the staff are but a travesty of yesteryear's friendly and
accommodating hosts.

With all your experience and apparent airlines-cajoling ability, I'm
surpised you didn't head South on the train at first opportunity.

TMO

Old December 10th, 2003, 03:10 PM
DALing

kinda hard to clear it when it keeps falling as fast as you can MOVE it ;-)

(been there, done that. I HATE snow except when it's in the MOUNTAINS -
where it belongs)

"The Bill Mattocks" wrote in message
om...
(me) wrote in message

. com...
Yeah, my thoughts too. As soon as I saw those original flights being
canceled, I probably would have watched the weather channel and headed
by ground in a favorable direction. He could probably have driven
to Cincinatti in a day.

Sure, but who knew the airports would be closed nearly all weekend? I
figured that they'd have the plows out, get the runways cleared, and
by Saturday afternoon we'd be fine. I figured wrong, but what are ya
gonna do?

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old December 10th, 2003, 06:38 PM
The Bill Mattocks

nobody wrote in message ...
In the northeast, when they start to issue PR notices advising pax that they
are waving change penalties due to the predicted storm, it means that they
expect a backlog of a few days. As I recall, those started coming out on
Thursday night.

I will have to remember that for the future. Next week, I'm flying
into ALB on Sunday, working in Pittsfield, MA, driving to Portsmouth,
New Hampshire, working there, and then flying out of BOS on Friday.
Should be fun.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:24 PM
The Bill Mattocks

Olivers wrote in message ...
I suspect that no small part of your unhappy hours in NYC may have bbeen
due to a traditional furriner's perspective of the subway system, suburban
rail or regular railroad travel. Even with a 30lb backpack, there were
some easily accessible (with no more walking) alternatives to the Milford
as long as you're willing to forego "Midtown Manhattan" (in exchange for
Lower Manhattan, a couple of parts of Brooklyn, or as mentioned NJ.
Shucks, given where you were working, you could have commuted from
Connecticutt and not walked 10 blocks. Time? Yes, but in contrast to us
puir Southwesterners, those rich in sophistication new Yorkers seem unfazed
by hour commutes.

I'm sure you're right - but I found about on Wednesday of the week
previous that I'd be in Manhattan the following week. Not much time
to prepare, look up subway routes/time tables, and so on. Was it
do-able? Yes. Was it do-able by me in the time I had to prepare?
Probably not.

It's like today - I'm in Kansas City, and it snowed last night - I was
an hour late to work - the hiway was jammed up. Some of the people
I'm working for here wanted to know why I didn't just take umpty-ump
street. Uh, because I have no idea where umpty-ump street is or how
to take it. I only know one way to work most times.

Like the personnel at EWR, NYC hoteliers (except those in the fashionable
high dollar boutiques) seem a surly lot to those of us who stay in
Fairfields and Courtyards out here in the big empty middle. For four
decades, I've gotten a preferential rate at an old midtown hotel, the
Warwick. Today, the preferential rate is only a slightly more modest
extortion, and the staff are but a travesty of yesteryear's friendly and
accommodating hosts.

Unlike many, I don't find rude service and surly employees to be 'Noo
Yawk Charming'.

With all your experience and apparent airlines-cajoling ability, I'm
surpised you didn't head South on the train at first opportunity.

I did consider it. My biggest concern was for my wallet. Once a
ticket is cancelled and I don't have an alternative flight scheduled,
I have a chance to do something creative and not have to eat the cost.
But as long as AA kept giving me new reservations on later flights,
if I walk away from the ticket, and it ends up not being cancelled for
whatever reason, I pay for it. Out of MY pocket. Not fun.

My wife and I are taking the train from ABQ-CHI (Amtrak's designation
for ORD) at Christmas this year. I got FF tickets for all the
relatives, and we're taking the TRAIN. Got a sleeper car, we'll see
how it works out.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Olivers

The Bill Mattocks muttered....

I'm sure you're right - but I found about on Wednesday of the week
previous that I'd be in Manhattan the following week. Not much time
to prepare, look up subway routes/time tables, and so on. Was it
do-able? Yes. Was it do-able by me in the time I had to prepare?
Probably not.

But you had forgotten some of what you had read here over the years (and
were likely on one of your first visits to Gnu Jawrk which can be awfully
intimidating, especially the bus and subway system, actually pretty simple
as long as you don't stray from Manhattan, where emerging from the
underground Hades at the wrong place can put you on what can seem Hell on
Earth, especially back in the pre-Rudy era when the "Miss your stop, lose
your life." risk factor applied in some areas.

It's like today - I'm in Kansas City, and it snowed last night - I was
an hour late to work - the hiway was jammed up. Some of the people
I'm working for here wanted to know why I didn't just take umpty-ump
street. Uh, because I have no idea where umpty-ump street is or how
to take it. I only know one way to work most times.

I only know a half dozen streets in KC....once I've left them, only an
accidental encounter can save me. KC is one of those "sort of grid, but
not where it matters" places.

Unlike many, I don't find rude service and surly employees to be 'Noo
Yawk Charming'.

I agree. For all their "sophistication" New Yorkers put up with crap at
which most of us would rebel, and travelers to NYC seem to lose what
gumption they have. NYC's where I once actually refused to pay a restaurant
check and let the manager change his mind about calling the police by
claiming that I would pay for a dinner with which I was satisfied as soon
as same was placed before me. Did the same thing with a taxi driver who in
the face of an attempt to collect a little off-meter booty threatened to
call the police. I urged him to do so, knowing that he wouldn't.

With all your experience and apparent airlines-cajoling ability, I'm
surpised you didn't head South on the train at first opportunity.

I did consider it. My biggest concern was for my wallet. Once a
ticket is cancelled and I don't have an alternative flight scheduled,
I have a chance to do something creative and not have to eat the cost.
But as long as AA kept giving me new reservations on later flights,
if I walk away from the ticket, and it ends up not being cancelled for
whatever reason, I pay for it. Out of MY pocket. Not fun.

A couple of times, I've had AA agree in the face of weather to reticket me
out of another boarding point, knowing that out of the weather-bound
departure airport, they were going to be behind for several days. I
wouldn't have tried Philly, but would have negotiated for BWI, IAD or
Reagan.

My wife and I are taking the train from ABQ-CHI (Amtrak's designation
for ORD) at Christmas this year. I got FF tickets for all the
relatives, and we're taking the TRAIN. Got a sleeper car, we'll see
how it works out.

Long ride. Just back from Italy, where we took the night train
(w/compartment) 2330-0700, Venice/Rome, just like the 30s except for steam
on the staions and secret police in leather topcoats. Eric Ambler would
have liked it.

TMO
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Miguel Cruz

The Bill Mattocks wrote:
I'm sure you're right - but I found about on Wednesday of the week
previous that I'd be in Manhattan the following week. Not much time
to prepare, look up subway routes/time tables, and so on. Was it
do-able? Yes. Was it do-able by me in the time I had to prepare?
Probably not.

Free maps on offer in the subway station. The first rule of getting to
LaGuardia in a hurry is to be willing to ditch the cab and hop in a subway
until you get out to Queens and then catch another cab the rest of the way.
Around rush hour you can save an hour or more.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Jim Anderson

nobody wrote in message

In the northeast, when they start to issue PR notices advising pax that

they
are waving change penalties due to the predicted storm, it means that

they
expect a backlog of a few days. As I recall, those started coming out on
Thursday night.

I will have to remember that for the future. Next week, I'm flying
into ALB on Sunday, working in Pittsfield, MA, driving to Portsmouth,
New Hampshire, working there, and then flying out of BOS on Friday.
Should be fun.

Ick... Any chance you can get them to fly you from ALB to Portland, ME or
Manchester, NH? CO Connection does nonstops on 1900D's out of ALB to both.
I don't envy that drive from Pittsfield to Portsmouth. No "easy" way to do
it. Long way is south out of Pittsfield to 90, to 495 and around BOS and
up. You could go north of Pittsfield to Rt.2 and across on 2 lane...

Jim

Old December 11th, 2003, 05:58 AM
Steve

"The Bill Mattocks" wrote in message
om...
I'm sure you're right - but I found about on Wednesday of the week
previous that I'd be in Manhattan the following week. Not much time
to prepare, look up subway routes/time tables, and so on. Was it
do-able? Yes. Was it do-able by me in the time I had to prepare?
Probably not.

I learned the subway system myself in NYC on Friday night; just the help of
a couple friendly citizens I inquired with at EWR, a bit of direction from
some friendly NYC transit police, and an individual I met on a platform who
provided me with a map. The subway system wasn't difficult to learn at all
with a bit of assistance and this was the first time I ever used it.

Last Friday, I was flying to NYC for the weekend to meet a friend from
overseas. I was flying NWA and I made it up to Detroit, at which point my
DTW-JFK flight had been cancelled. I managed to catch the only flight to
the NYC area then, a CO flight (an earlier departure, which was severely
delayed) into EWR.

EWR was a nightmare, the AirTrain not properly running, and the PA police /
crowd control had a nightmare on their hands at the Air Train station. It
was ugly. One AirTrain I was on got stuck on the track, another one kept
going and then suddenly stopping (from a decent speed to 0) for no reason at
all. None of the trains were on-schedule from EWR Station to NYC Penn, but
I luckily got one. At NYC Penn I took the A train (MTA Subway) from Penn to
Howard Beach (JFK station) on the A Line via Far Rockaway. One hell of a
journey.

I did consider a taxi, but I found taxis that would not make the journey and
others that were gouging off-meter. I had several people advise me to avoid
the taxis that night because of those problems, including an NYC transit
police officer.

The hotel, the JFK Radisson, was the worst Radisson property I've stayed at
in my life.. could of been worse I suppose, but it was terrible for a
Radisson. Original plans were to stay at the Courtyard, but I couldn't get
my preferred room (i.e. smoking) confirmed. At JFK, stranded travelers
were rushing the Radisson "airport shuttle" in hope to get rooms, but
despite the hotel being fully booked, they somehow managed to get people
rooms. The front desk almost **** bricks when the airport bus came in at
2am with a full load (half of them w/out confirmed reservations).

It took 3 tries to get a correct room from the folks at the front desk.
They kept giving me every room setup available other than what was clearly
printed on my confirmed reservation. My rate included breakfast, which
sucked big time, and I had to argue with the front desk that the rate did
indeed include breakfast after showing my radisson.com email and print out
which clearly said "Breakfast Included". Lots of other problems, rude
staff, etc -- but I won't go there. Lets just say I've stayed at better
"motels".

Cheers!

Steve

Old December 11th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Olivers

Steve muttered....

At NYC Penn I took
the A train (MTA Subway) from Penn to Howard Beach (JFK station) on
the A Line via Far Rockaway. One hell of a journey.

Yeesss!

I recall the first time I did that, a long time ago. Not one of my
favorites, but in bad weather or even bad traffic times can be a lifesaver.

Your clue, subway to Queens then short ride to La Guardia, is a fine
suggestion of which more folks should take advantage. The trip above
ground is often too slow and one of the world's most depressing prospects,
groadier than ought to be allowed in even urban America, miles of rust,
stained brick and crumbling concrete. Aside from its grim appearance
(Let's face it, Charon wouldn't willingly descend to most stations), the NY
subway remains amazingly capable of moving lightly encumbered travelers
close to many destinations. Unfortunately, sometimes the "close" may
involve debarking in combat zones or dreary land clearance areas.

Why one may even visit Grant's Tomb....

Radisson is a chain I've come to avoid, having been stuck in a couple of
properties which could not have kept a franchise in either the NoTell Motel
or Do Drop Inn lodging groups. Carlson has managed to accomplish the same
thing with TGIFridays, once a group of notorious "Meat Rack" singles bars
with decent drinks and appetizers (mostly the semi-exposed breasts of young
women shopping at the bar), now a chain of family restaurants where boredom
is not overcome by bourbon sauce.

It doesn't take much to imagine the property near JFK, about as hospitable
as would be sleeping on a street corner in Howard Beach for a West African
soccer team, decorated in retrograde Long Island ******* Horizontal with
lots of turquoise and earthy orange, a front desk staffed by former East
German Border Guards, and with a kitchen crew of expatriate Kalmucks
attempting to emulate British pub cuisine, but having failed to pay their
wholesale grocer for the last month, short on ingredients

TMO