Flying abroad from Canada

Old February 4th, 2010, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Flying abroad from Canada

Any USAers here who have chosen to fly from Canada to Europe? I don't
mean a connecting flight - I mean one originating in Canada. Is it
less horrible an experience than the god-awful crap one goes through in
the US? If so, I'd be off to Montreal.
--
FUB
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Feb 3, 6:58*pm, wrote:
Any USAers here who have chosen to fly from Canada to Europe? *I don't
mean a connecting flight - I mean one originating in Canada. *Is it
less horrible an experience than the god-awful crap one goes through in
the US? *If so, I'd be off to Montreal.
--
FUB

Why not use kayak.com and check out the prices. You still have the
expense of getting up to Canada.
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim....

wrote in message
Any USAers here who have chosen to fly from Canada to Europe? I don't
mean a connecting flight - I mean one originating in Canada. Is it
less horrible an experience than the god-awful crap one goes through in
the US? If so, I'd be off to Montreal.

I don't know about flying out, but flying in (much to my surprise) I still
got the rude, surely, Immigration Officer who treated my like a criminal
just because I had decided to go on holiday in his country (flew into
Montreal for a 3 week drive to the Atlantic provinces - like no-one's ever
done that before!)

tim

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
PeterL wrote:
On Feb 3, 6:58=A0pm, wrote:
Any USAers here who have chosen to fly from Canada to Europe? =A0I don't
mean a connecting flight - I mean one originating in Canada. =A0Is it
less horrible an experience than the god-awful crap one goes through in
the US? =A0If so, I'd be off to Montreal.

Why not use kayak.com and check out the prices. You still have the
expense of getting up to Canada.

I just did this in Nov-Dec. Kayak gave me a United to Calgary flt.
Change to Air Canada. You still have to go thru Immigration. Our
luggage was NOT checked through. Then Frankfurt (1st time).
Our pilot delayed and chose to have wings deiced which
was the main reason for missing my next stage. I did forget a cap on
the plane which was a moment (first of 3 lost caps on that trip).

No other problems.

Coming back I had 2 United flts, the first to DC.
This was the day after X-mas.
So I heard about the underwear guy who started several hundred miles N of us.
I noticed more police with MP-5s in the Airport. Big deal, trains are
full of Swiss guys doing their annual 3 weeks service carrying their
automatic rifles. We did get an additional sweep at the gate. We
didn't have, what was reported (this was United), orders to stay in
seats one hour before landing.

Customs was OK for me. Long lines for foreigners entering DC (had not
yet heard the seriousness of the threat at that time), sorry for them.
This Customs guy welcomed me "home" back to the USA. Really. The previously
year's vacation I returned via the Twin Cities (I wanted to visit the
Babbage Institute). That guy saw I had a second passport in my folder,
which he examined, which is my expired (until it needs to be renewed)
work passport as a govt. rep. His attitude changed. A phrase will do it.

Purpose of travel? (instend of saying "Vacation" or "Holiday", I said

Use or lose leave. That gets a smirk.

Customs plays a profiling game.

All the various countries vary. The last time I was in the UK, they were
very nice, really great. My little Swiss Army knife forgot to pack by
mistake, was given a small cardboard box, and it appeared at baggage
claim in Iceland. Everyone was very accomodating. The US is a bit more
paranoid, because it was regarded as a "recent" target in the last decade.

The UK/Europe has a history of targeting (I was also in Madrid, Spain after
the 250 commuters died in that train station as well as the London bus
and train bombings).

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).