Cruise Insurance Question

Old March 24th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Dave Withers

Default Cruise Insurance Question

We suggest buying it from the same source that booked your travel.
wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions on which company to go with for Cruise
Insurance.
Thanks,
george_ronnie @ hotmail.com

Old March 24th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Cruzinsure

ALso, I have never gotten a real clear answer on
payment for flying me back if I get sick.

I didn't see the original question so I don't know what exact info you need but
here's some general info:

If you become ill on your trip and have to cut the trip short and return home,
the trip interruption benefit will apply. Here's the wording from the CSA plan:

"We will pay a benefit if you are unable to continue on your Covered Trip after
you have departed on your Covered Trip due to Other Covered Events, as defined.

Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefits:
We will reimburse you, less any refund paid or payable, for unused land or
water travel arrangements, plus one of the following:
The additional transportation expenses by the most direct route from the point
you interrupted your Covered Trip:
To the next scheduled destination where you can catch up to your Covered Trip;
or
To the final destination of your Covered Trip; or
The additional transportation expenses incurred by you by the most direct route
to reach your original Covered Trip destination if you are delayed and leave
after the Scheduled Departure Date. "

Condensed version: If you cut the trip short for a covered reason (illness
would qualify) the plan will reimburse you for:
A) Forfeited, unused trip arrangements. If it's a 10-day cruise and you miss
the last five days you get to claim 50% of the cost of the cruise.
B) Additional travel expenses to get home. Air tickets, etc.

For CSA the total benefit would be 150% of the insured trip cost. If you insure
$2000 you have up to $3000 to cover A) and B) above.

Note: not all the plans are the same.
Check before buying. The info above does not apply to EMERGENCY medical
transportation which is covered under a different plan provision. If you're
sick enough to not continue with the trip but don't need an air ambulance this
is the benefit you'll be filing the claim under.
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:47 AM
RTCReferee

Charles lid wrote:

Most people don't have a choice, their employer only offers one plan. And
don't forget those on Medicare.

We are too young for Medicare, but I Googled "medicare outside united.states"
and came up with the following:

http://medicare.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...r/std_adp.php?
p_sid=dj7zD47h&p_lva=&p_faqid=59&p_created=9940754 83&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9n
cmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTUwJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9b3 V0c2lkZSB1bml0ZWQgc3RhdG
VzJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBf Y2F0X2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9z
b3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

Sorry that is such a long link. It would be better, perhaps, to go to the
Medicare help page at http://medicare.custhelp.com

"Question: Does Medicare cover me when I travel outside of the United States?

Answer:
*
The Original Medicare Plan does not cover health care when you travel outside
the United States, except for some emergency situations in Mexico and Canada.
In rare cases, Medicare can pay for inpatient hospital services that you get in
Canada or Mexico. Medicare can pay only if:

* You are in the United States when a medical emergency occurs and the
Canadian or Mexican hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can
treat the emergency.

* You are traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most
direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs
and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can
treat the emergency.*

* You live in the United States and the Canadian or Mexican hospital is
closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical
condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists.

Some Medicare*managed care*plans may provide worldwide coverage benefits for
health care needs when you travel outside the United States. You should check
with your Medicare managed care plan prior to traveling outside of the United
States regarding worldwide coverage benefits.

Medigap policies C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J provide Foreign Travel Emergency
health care coverage when you travel outside the United States. Under these
plans, Medigap policies pay for 80% of the cost of emergency care during the
first 60 days of each trip after you pay the $250 deductible. Foreign Travel
Emergency coverage with Medigap policies have a lifetime limit of $50,000.
Check with your plan or insurance regarding your coverage before you travel
outside the country. For information about what these Medigap policies cover
and if they are offered in your area, visit the Medicare Personal Plan Finder .
"

I hope this information helps some readers.
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Charles

In article Kg58c.78733$_w.1046757@attbi_s53, Dave Withers
wrote:

We suggest buying it from the same source that booked your travel.

Why? I can't think of any advantage to that. When I am buying travel
insurance I read the policies of several companies and pick the one
that has the best policy for me at that time instead of limiting myself
to a policy sold by the source I am booking with.

--
Charles
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Charles

In article , RTCReferee
wrote:

We are too young for Medicare,

I am also too young for Medicare. A major reason I purchase travel
insurance is that I desire medical evacuation coverage. My medical
insurance will not pay for that. Another reason is for the trip
cancelation and interuption coverage. I almost had to cancel one trip
because of illness of a family member.

--
Charles
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Linsifer

I agree with you, Charles, and I also concur with your reasons to buy travel
insurance in the first place, (medical evacuation and coverage in case a family
member not cruising is ill or dies.)

Lindsay -------- who sometimes uses CSA and other times Travel Guard.

It was posted:

We suggest buying it from the same source that booked your travel.

Charles:

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Charles

In article , RTCReferee
wrote:

Our auto club membership pays for emergency medical evacuation
coverage, and so does our medical plan, so we aren't concerned about
that item, which would likely be the most expensive.

Never heard of an auto club memebership or medical plan covering
medical evacuation. You are lucky to have that. What auto club? Are you
in the US? There are stand alone yearly plans for medical evacuation
and you get one with AMEX Platinium Card but I determined that it would
cost more for me to go that route yet unless I did more travel. And
trip cancellation is not covered with those.

--
Charles
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:58 PM
RTCReferee

Charles lid wrote:

Never heard of an auto club memebership or medical plan covering medical
evacuation. You are lucky to have that. What auto club? Are you in the US?

Yes, I am in the U.S. I am even eligible to run for President of the United
States, unlike our Guv, Ahnold.

Good old AAA Plus membership gets you the medical evacuation benefit. See
below:

http://www.csaa.com/membership/aaapl...020300,00.html

AAA PLUS® Membership for Northern California & Nevada

"Plus Emergency Medical Transportation Coverage: You're eligible to receive up
to $25,000 of Emergency Medical Transportation Coverage to pay for covered
emergency evacuation expenses resulting from sickness or injury while traveling
100 miles or more from home. This can even include transportation by air
ambulance if needed. Transportation home for your dependent children and spouse
may also be included. If you're traveling alone, coverage is included to
transport the person of your choice to join you. We'll make all the
arrangements, too. Even $5,000 for return of remains is included. (Certain
restrictions apply.)"