Recommend some camp sites in Kruger

Old June 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM
VK

Default Recommend some camp sites in Kruger

Hi -

I'll be self-driving through Kruger next month, as part of an extended
trip through S Africa and Namibia. Plan to spend some time in Kruger.
The objective for the trip is wildlife photography.

I'd like to spend enough time in Kruger to take in all the different
terrains and game viewing opportunities/photographing opportunities
that they present. Time isnt a big deal - can spend as long as it
takes.

Can people recommend some campsites in which to stay, in different
parts of the park? Also, suggestions on an "ideal" itinerary through
the park would also be welcome -- ie, stay in area X for 3 days, area Y
for 4 days and so on.

Generally speaking, proximity to good game-viewing territory is the
primary factor. Beyond that, wild is good -- bushcamps, unfenced, etc.
are better (I know that Kruger may not be the best place for a fully
wild experience, but I'll take what I can get).

Cheers,
Vandit
www.diveindia.com
www.photosafariindia.com

Old June 7th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Scott Elliot

The book "Kruger National Park" by Dr. L.E.O. Braack and published by
Globetrotter has very good description of the various camps in Kruger. We
used it on our trip in 2002, so it may be getting a bit dated as camps are
renovated, if it hasn't been updated. It also has some pointers on where
game is to be found, but we had some good sightings in places that were not
highly recommended so you cannot rely totally on the books.

We also found "Where to Watch Game in the Kruger National Park by Nigel
Dennis/Sunbird Publishing to be useful in finding good game locations. This
book is oriented to photography, but if you can find good photography sites
you have found good game watching sites.

Scott

ups.com...

Old June 7th, 2005, 07:49 AM
VK

Hi Scott -

Thanks for the lead on those books. I dont have access to them here,
but presumably, I can buy t hem in S Africa, right?

And good photo sites are perfect, as that is exactly what I am looking
for!

Cheers,
VK

Old June 8th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Scott Elliot

I think I mail ordered them over the internet from

www.kalahari.net

I know I received them in Canada before we left.

Scott

ups.com...

Old June 11th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Corné

"VK" schreef in bericht
[...]

Some nice campsites in Kruger:

Shingwedzi (in the far North)
Letaba (central part)
Lower Sabie (south)
Berg en Dal (south)

If e.g. you choose to stay 3 days in each camp, then in the morning you
could do you own game-drive and make pictures, the same in the afternoon.

Enjoy!

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old June 11th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Jason/Tina

If havent already done so go visit the SaN Parks website its pretty
informative.

My fav's when visiting
Lowie Sabie (especially the tented camp right on the water ) we awoke at 3
in the morning by a hungry hippo feeding. I think tent 16 was the best from
memory.

Mopani camp is nice right overlooking a dam.

Batuleur is nice and remote (been stalking by elephants trying to get into
and out of the camp)

Olifants is nice and central

Old June 21st, 2005, 09:29 PM
VK

Hi Corne, as well as Jason/Tina -

Thanks for those campsite recommendations. I've gone through the SAN
website in excruciating detail. Everything is there, of course, but
the hard part is trying to decide which sites to select.

I think I have enough to start with for now. Of course, now it seems
as though my trip may get pushed back to September. Grrrrr.

Regards,
Vandit

Old June 11th, 2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message , Corné
writes

"VK" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
[...]

Nigel Dennis in his Getaway Guide suggests his best pictures have come
from the smaller bush camps Mbyamiti, Talamati and Bateleur.
Of the large camps he suggests Lower Sabie, Crocodile Bridge, Skukuza,
Satara and Shinwedzi.

He says Satara has the best reputation for big cats and likes the
Kanniedod Dam for Elephants.

We have always enjoyed Sunset Dam for close views of water birds. We put
a brief trip report of our holidays at www.wildworldweb.co.uk and we've
been to Kruger a couple of times. The last time we went (2004) we
stayed at Biyamiti in the very south of the park and had some
spectacular views of lions mating less than 2 miles from camp. We
watched them from 6am (when the camp gates opened) until 7.45am when the
organised game drive from the camp returned and disturbed the lions. We
could have stroked the lions through the open windows (if we'd chosen!)
and they weren't at all bothered by the cameras.

One thing is for certain you will always find the camp you want to visit
is booked up!

Meanwhile - we're really interested in diving somewhere new this
Christmas. How could we get to the Andaman Islands (details in your
website). Can the dive centre help with finding out about flights???

--
John Macdonald
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

John Macdonald wrote:
been to Kruger a couple of times. The last time we went (2004) we
stayed at Biyamiti in the very south of the park and had some
spectacular views of lions mating less than 2 miles from camp. We
watched them from 6am (when the camp gates opened) until 7.45am when the
organised game drive from the camp returned and disturbed the lions. We
could have stroked the lions through the open windows (if we'd chosen!)
and they weren't at all bothered by the cameras.

That's one thing I still havent shot. I saw mating lions near Croc
Bridge on this last trip, but there was a lot of foliage in between.
I think Kenya or TZ in Feb might be a better bet for that shot.

Meanwhile - we're really interested in diving somewhere new this
Christmas. How could we get to the Andaman Islands (details in your
website). Can the dive centre help with finding out about flights???

Have sent you an email - if you dont get, drop me a line at
vkalia[at]diveindia.com.

Cheers,
Vandit