What's Near The Philadelphia Airport?

Old April 29th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Clint

Default What's Near The Philadelphia Airport?

During my travels this coming June, I will be having a five hour layover at
the Philadelphia airport. What's around the airport that could occupy my
time during this layover on a Saturday night?

Clint

Free Spirit Gallery
http://www.FreeSpiritGallery.ca

Old April 29th, 2005, 04:18 PM

naval shipyard, the sports complex's......it isnt far at all by cab to
go to the society hill/historical section.....a cab ride to genos for a
steak/cheese.....the philly airport is remarkably close to whatever you
wanted to see in philly.....

Old April 30th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Clint" wrote:

During my travels this coming June, I will be having a five hour layover at
the Philadelphia airport. What's around the airport that could occupy my
time during this layover on a Saturday night?

Not much. If it were me, I would just take a good book, sit down in one
of the quiet terminal areas and read. There are quite a few restaurants
and a nice food court area in the airport if you get hungry and some
nice rocking chairs by the food court. The food court is located between
terminals B and C.

You could take the R1 train into Center City, but for only five hours, I
don't know if its worth the effort. By reading a good book, five hours
will fly by very quickly.

Old April 30th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article . com,
" wrote:

naval shipyard, the sports complex's......it isnt far at all by cab to
go to the society hill/historical section.....a cab ride to genos for a
steak/cheese.....the philly airport is remarkably close to whatever you
wanted to see in philly.....

I don't think the Naval Shipyard is open at night. The OP can also get a
perfectly fine cheese steak at a reasonable price at the airport.
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Shawn Hearn wrote:
In article ,
"Clint" wrote:

[...]

If you really knew where you were going and really had a full five
hours, you maybe could go to Independence Hall or Elfreth's Alley or
South Street or Society Hill or even the U Penn campus, my alma mater.
But if you don't know the area, it would be a bit risky. Taking the
train, you'd get to 30th Street Station, from where you'd have to take
the Market Street subway to, what is it, Seventh Street?, to see
Independence Hall, from where you could walk to South Street or Society
Hill. There's nothing but factories and the Tinicum Wildife Preserve
in the immediate area of the airport: Center City is like, ten miles
away.

If you got turned around and couldn't find your way back to 30th Street
or even couldn't find your way to the right train back to the airport,
you could easily miss your flight. Still it would be a helluva lot
more interesting than reading a book in an airport. Well, depends on
the book, I guess.

A cab would take you straight to where you want to go and get you back
to the airport in time, but that would probably cost on the order of
fifty bucks or so. And a nice tip would be in order.

Old April 30th, 2005, 11:16 PM
B Vaughan

On 30 Apr 2005 02:05:45 -0700, "Carmen L. Abruzzi"
wrote:

... Taking the
train, you'd get to 30th Street Station, from where you'd have to take
the Market Street subway to, what is it, Seventh Street?,

The train also stops at Market East, which is just a short walk from
Independence Hall.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:16 PM
B Vaughan

On 29 Apr 2005 08:18:49 -0700, "
wrote:

naval shipyard, the sports complex's......it isnt far at all by cab to
go to the society hill/historical section.....a cab ride to genos for a
steak/cheese.....the philly airport is remarkably close to whatever you
wanted to see in philly.....

There is an express train from the airport that stops very near the
historic area. The stop is called "Market East". I believe it takes
about half an hour from the airport, and you could walk around the
historic area for a few hours, and have a lunch in the Reading
Terminal Market or Chinatown, both of which are near Market East. The
historic area begins around 4th and Chestnut, which is about 4 blocks
east and 1 block south of the train station.