Suggestions on what to see and do in Russia

Old June 7th, 2004, 08:30 AM
?ystein

Default Suggestions on what to see and do in Russia

I am planning to go to Russia this summer. I will go to a summerschool
in St.Petersburg for 2 weeks to improve my Russian. After theese to
weeks I have visa for another 2 weeks where I can travel in Russia on
my own. I have some vague ideas on places to visit, but I have not
made my mind up yet. I am of course aware of that I have to pick 2 or
3 places of my ideas. If anyone have suggestions on the places I have
considered or suggestions of places I should cosider, please let me
know.

One idea is to go to Moscow. Obvious reasons. May be that can be
combined with seeing some Russian countryside. Suggestions and commets
welcome!

After visited Petersburg and perhaps also Moscow I am probbly very
through with artmuseums, cathedrals and the big tourist route.
Alternative suggestions are therefor very welcome!

Another idea is to see some of Western(the Black sea coast) and/or
central Caucasus. One reason is that it would be a change from big
cities and a rest at the Black Sea coast. I also think it might give
me a chance to get some insight in Soviet style of life. When it comes
to central Caucasus the mineral water spas and the impresive nature is
what I would like to see. From what I have read I have the impression
that as long as you stay away from Chetchnya, Dagestan and Ingusethia
(of obvious reasons) it represents no serious safety risks to travel
in the Caucasus region. Anyone who has knowledge of Caucasus area?

I also think it could be interesting to see Volgograd and/or
Astrakhan, perhaps combined with Black sea coast. One reason is
because of the WWII history. another reason is that it could give
oportunity for a cruise on the Volga and experience the impressive
Volga delta. I have also heard that the huge steppe around Volgograd
is very impressive.

Another option is to see nothern Russia for instance Archangelsk. I
have read that northern Russia is may be the best place to get an
impression of traditional Russian culture. I would also like to see
Solovetsky, if I visit this area.

Another option I have considered is Yekaterinburg area. The reason is
that it could be a way to see east of Urals Russia, without traveling
longer than neccesary. It also gives an opportunity to experience the
Urals. I have read that this might be the most interesting option in
this area. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

If you have any suggestions I would like to hear them. I am pretty
sure I will be through with cathedrals and art museums after St
Petersburg and may be Moscow. After theese destinations I will
probably like to get of the typical tourist track as well. My Russian
is probably good enough to book accomondation and transports, ask the
way and have a simple conversation with patient natives, but - as you
understand - not too good. Suggestions on things that is interesting
to see and do with a very limited knowledge of Russian language is
therefore very welcome.

Best regards,

Jan