Where to get marry??

Old May 15th, 2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Where to get marry??

Hi,

We're looking for exceptional place to get married. ( Roman Catholic ).
I want to ask you for advice where to go. We have 1 month for that
trip.
We want to go to remote, off the beaten track places, and get married
somewhere in small chapel
We do not want to use professionals who arrange weddings in exotic
destinations. We want to do it in other not commercial way.
We want to do it by our own. We also do not want to go to LAs Vegas and
go to chapel with Elvis etc...

I think we will find Catholic missionary somewhere in the world.

We want to go to some new places, we have already been travelling in
Central and Southern Asia, also whole Middle East.

We have been thinking about:
-- Pacific Islands, but now we think 1 month its not enough to go there
and its expensive to fly there from Europe.
-- Brazil , but after studying some news we think it may be too
dangerous for individual traveller.

Now we are considering Southern India, we know that there are Christian
minorities..
Maybe we can find something in Africa..

Please advice.

Thanks
I&B

Old May 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message .com
wrote:

Now we are considering Southern India, we know that there are Christian
minorities..
Maybe we can find something in Africa..

Quite a number of places in Kenya do weddings. Lots of places on the
coast, one of my collegues was married there last summer, but I don't
think that's what you want.
Some of the lodges also do weddings, e.g. Shimba Hills (on a high
walkway at canopy height) and Ol Tukai - you'd need to check these two
as they've changed ownership.

The most romantic I've seen in a magazine was in the expensive lodge
in Meru, where you can choose the location you want to be married in.

(If all else fails, you can get a religious (but not civil) wedding
anywhere you like in Scotland so long as a suitable person (priest or
minister) will agree to do the wedding. I was married in a garden, and
I've heard of a couple being married underwater by a diving minister,
and all sorts of others.)

The thing is, wherever you choose there are going to be arrangements
that have to be made in advance, you might need residency for so many
days etc. It is advisable to take professional advice to make sure, if
it's important to you, that you are actually legally married. You
can't just roll up at a lovely quiet spot, grab a passing priest and
way "We will". Ironically, the nearest you can get to that is
probably Las Vegas, but even there you have to go through some sort of
legal formality before rolling up to your drive-in wedding chapel.

Safari njema, or slainte as the case may be.

Good luck for your future together.

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo galleries:
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

How about getting married at the small missionary church in Chupanga,
Mozambique. This is the small village on the banks of the Rio Zambezi
(the third biggest river in Africa), and the place where Mary Moffat
Livingstone, Dr. David Livingstone's wife, was buried after she died
there in 1862.

It's Roman Catholic, DEFINITELY not commercial, and well off the
beaten track, and you won't find Elvis there either :-)

Regards,
Marc