Vietnam - 6 Reasons to Come

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
nightflower nightflower is offline
Member

Default Vietnam - 6 Reasons to Come

Most people think of Vietnam as a war. But the old history has all gone. Now peace and safety resides. It's opening to the world as a friendly and exotic place on earth to be.

So why don't you think of coming. I'll name some of the reasons why you should:

1. She's a new place. It's not touristy like in Thailand and many places you go, people got stunned by your appearance.

2. She's safe and friendly. The majority of people in Vietnam are farmers, pure farmers. Many of them have never learnt of much apart from the village they were born in. Naturally, they're almost all friendly and safe to be around. Moreover, the communist government does a good job in ensuring securities all over the country. Nothing of a crime has happened to tourists for the last decades.

3. She has lots to see: A thin country stretching for thousands of Km from North to South. It has beautiful mountains with colorful and rich culture hill tribes. It has beaches and many of those are considered best in the world but still, they're not touristy. Sound cool enough? Not end yet, she's home to 7 UNESCO World Heritages. Almost anywhere you go, you're tumble on a World Heritage.

4. She's cheap. If you want to, then 1 dollar could buy you a basic lunch or dinner. Wandering around and you want to find somewhere to sit and drink? Mostly you don't have to pay more than one dollar for it. Cheap accommodations and services are everywhere around the Old Quarter in Hanoi and Pham Ngu Lao street or Bui Vien street – Sai Gon (if you're traveling on a tight budget). If not a tight budget? Never mind. You have top hotels and resorts of the world in here.

5. Is travel here convenient? Sure, many companies operate the open bus (good quality in general) and they run almost to every capital cities in the country. Moving around is very easy.

6. After all, traveling is to experience the difference. And Vietnam simply is from any place that you have been.

So, Vietnam? Why not!
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Kulp

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:48:27 +0100, nightflower
wrote:

Most people think of Vietnam as a war. But the old history has all gone.
Now peace and safety resides. It's opening to the world as a friendly
and exotic place on earth to be.

So why don't you think of coming. I'll name some of the reasons why you
should:

1. She's a new place. It's not touristy like in Thailand and many
places you go, people got stunned by your appearance.

So does my wife right hereat home.

2. She's safe and friendly. The majority of people in Vietnam are
farmers, pure farmers. Many of them have never learnt of much apart
from the village they were born in. Naturally, they're almost all
friendly and safe to be around. Moreover, the communist government does
a good job in ensuring securities all over the country. Nothing of a
crime has happened to tourists for the last decades.

Baloney. Tourists get ripped off all the time. Cyclo drivers being a
main enemy.

3. She has lots to see: A thin country stretching for thousands of Km
from North to South. It has beautiful mountains with colorful and rich
culture hill tribes. It has beaches and many of those are considered
best in the world but still, they're not touristy. Sound cool enough?
Not end yet, she's home to 7 UNESCO World Heritages. Almost anywhere
you go, you're tumble on a World Heritage.

That's true.

4. She's cheap. If you want to, then 1 dollar could buy you a basic
lunch or dinner. Wandering around and you want to find somewhere to sit
and drink? Mostly you don't have to pay more than one dollar for it.
Cheap accommodations and services are everywhere around the Old Quarter
in Hanoi and Pham Ngu Lao street or Bui Vien street – Sai Gon (if you're
traveling on a tight budget). If not a tight budget? Never mind. You
have top hotels and resorts of the world in here.

Also true.

5. Is travel here convenient? Sure, many companies operate the open bus
(good quality in general) and they run almost to every capital cities in
the country. Moving around is very easy.

True again.

6. After all, traveling is to experience the difference. And Vietnam
simply is from any place that you have been.

Trus again.

So, Vietnam? Why not!

Well, 4 out of 6 ain't bad. So go if you haven't been.

--
nightflower

' Vietnam Tours ' (http://www.paradissa.com/) ' Vietnam Travel '
(http://www.paradissa.com/) ' Vietnam Travel Agents '
(http://www.paradissa.com/)

Old July 9th, 2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Frank

some shots from this june:

saigon

http://tvc15.blogs.com/photos/saigon_2008/index.html

mekong delta

http://tvc15.blogs.com/photos/mekong_delta/index.html

mui ne

http://tvc15.blogs.com/photos/mui_ne/index.html

bye

frank

http://tvc15.blogs.com/

Old July 10th, 2008, 08:00 AM
nightflower nightflower is offline
Member

"Baloney. Tourists get ripped off all the time. Cyclo drivers being a
main enemy."

Hi John,

I feel concerned about what you say here. I agree with you that his happens in Vietnam and all over Asia as well. What country do we travel to doesn't get us involved in being ripped off some times.

Vietnam is a developing country and thus, can't get out of the trend. The majority of people are not wealthy and taking avantage of tourism development, they try to sell some stuffs, earn some money. Sometimes we need to think that it's all for a living and what if they have some children to afford.

"Friendly" in my word would be the majority of people. They would be those who live in the countrysides where you travel to...but not those who are taxi drivers or cyclo drivers. Don't you get ripped of in NY city with taxi drivers, John?

Equip yourself with some bargain skill to deal with those small services when arrive in here.
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Kulp

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:00:53 +0100, nightflower
wrote:

"Baloney. Tourists get ripped off all the time. Cyclo drivers being a
main enemy."

Hi John,

I feel concerned about what you say here. I agree with you that his
happens in Vietnam and all over Asia as well. What country do we travel
to doesn't get us involved in being ripped off some times.

None. I was just refuting the statement which is incorrect.

Vietnam is a developing country and thus, can't get out of the trend.
The majority of people are not wealthy and taking avantage of tourism
development, they try to sell some stuffs, earn some money. Sometimes
we need to think that it's all for a living and what if they have some
children to afford.

I know all that. I served a tour there and have been back twice.
It's not unique to developing countries btw. It also happens in
developed ones all the time.

"Friendly" in my word would be the majority of people. They would be
those who live in the countrysides where you travel to...but not those
who are taxi drivers or cyclo drivers. Don't you get ripped of in NY
city with taxi drivers, John?

Actually, I lived there for 26 years and never once got ripped off by
any. It does happen, however, but in my experience and others I have
talked to, you get ripped off 100% of the time by cyclo drivers,
something tourists should be well aware of given the high incidence.

Equip yourself with some bargain skill to deal with those small
services when arrive in here.

That's not the way it works. The cyclo driver always agrees to
whatever price you agree and then always reneges at the end and loudly
claim much more. So do taxi drivers. The defense is actually very
easy. You just have them drive you at the end to some major hotel,
throw what they should be paid at them, ignore the noise they generate
and walk into the hotel. The hotel security will stop them every
time.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Kulp

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:10:34 GMT, (Deckard) wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:06:44 GMT,
(John Kulp)
wrote:

Equip yourself with some bargain skill to deal with those small
services when arrive in here.

That's not the way it works. The cyclo driver always agrees to
whatever price you agree and then always reneges at the end and loudly
claim much more. So do taxi drivers. The defense is actually very
easy. You just have them drive you at the end to some major hotel,
throw what they should be paid at them, ignore the noise they generate
and walk into the hotel. The hotel security will stop them every
time.

Thanks for the tip, John.
I plan to go to Vietnam in a few months and I would have been
certainly disconcerted by this sort of rip-off.
Weird to see that travel agents try to excuse such behaviour that can
easily spoil the tourism reputation of the whole country.

You're welcome. Vietnam is actually a great experience and not hard
to navigate. These cyclo types and some others that will hang out
around tourist areas and also drive you somewhat mad, but most won't.
I've been going to Asia for over 40 years and am used to it. Like
water off a duck's back. But they are essentially harmless, if
irritating, so just ignore them and they will go away. Whatever you
pay them is much more than any Vietnamese would anyway. Travel agents
have to excuse them because they have no control anyway. A lot, if
not all, of the cyclo drivers btw are former ARVN troops who can't get
other jobs thanks to having lost the war.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
nightflower nightflower is offline
Member

Thanks for all of your comments in here.

I think the debate would be everlasting if we continue to be like this. We're doing, as a travel agent, a business for sure, but definitely not for that reason do we have to protect those cyclos, even they are poor people in one of the poorest countries in the world.

I read somewhere above you said "throw at them what should be paid". Ok. I'm sure you are experienced, but a lot of those who read what you wrote would not know "what should be paid".

Why don't we just end up with a number?

The common price for a tourist to have one hour cyclo ride is 4-5 USD/hour, tip included.

Pay them (but, excuse me, not "throw at them", please be polite when you travel, "throw at" can bring negative impact in a strange country) that money after one hour enjoy their service and ignore them at whatever they say. Nothing's gonna happen, I promise.

In the end, we all travel to enjoy, that's the highest goal.

Enjoy your travel in Vietnam.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
nightflower nightflower is offline
Member

Thank you Deckard and John Kulp, for your ideas and for your contribution. Best regards.
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:25 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Kulp

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:49:09 +0100, nightflower
wrote:

Thanks for all of your comments in here.

I think the debate would be everlasting if we continue to be like this.
We're doing, as a travel agent, a business for sure, but definitely not
for that reason do we have to protect those cyclos, even they are poor
people in one of the poorest countries in the world.

I read somewhere above you said "throw at them what should be paid".
Ok. I'm sure you are experienced, but a lot of those who read what you
wrote would not know "what should be paid".

Why don't we just end up with a number?

The common price for a tourist to have one hour cyclo ride is 4-5
USD/hour, tip included.

That's a reasonable number. And, of course, you negotiate that
upfront. Then watch them carrying on asking for much more at the end,
as usual.

Pay them (but, excuse me, not "throw at them", please be polite when
you travel, "throw at" can bring negative impact in a strange country)
that money after one hour enjoy their service and ignore them at
whatever they say. Nothing's gonna happen, I promise.

Sure be polite, when they're trying to rip you off. That'll encourage
them to stop. Why don't you give this advice to the cyclo drivers?
Like accept graciously what you negotiated? Fat chance of that.
Ripoff artists deserve the same treatment they mete out.