Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

Old July 5th, 2007, 12:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

A lot. I live in a cosmopolitan city and I teach languages

Languages, plural? Somehow I thing you're lying again.

Old July 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Snowbird writes:

Not among aviators. Not as regards aviation language.

There's no such thing as "aviation language."

You don't fly, so you wouldn't know.

Old July 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Wolfgang Schwanke writes:

Americans who speak perfect English are rare too.

They speak it far better than Germans, for obvious reasons.

Not obvious to me. Every german I know speaks perfect english, although with
an accent.

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

On Jun 30, 12:14 am, Dallas wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:08:16 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:
As hard as it may be for residents of the city to accept, there is more to the
world outside of Dallas.

Tell ya what...

Why don't you make a list of all the foreign countries you've been to and
I'll respond with a list of my own and we'll see who's got the widest world
view.

--
Dallas

Dallas,

Absolutely no offense intended, but Mx is mostly right on this one.

The number of Dallas Area stations speaking Spanish, or, hell, the
percentage of US Residents Speaking Spanish is utterly irrelevant when
it comes to measuring or comparing its relative value as an
international language.

To think that the language distribution in anyones particular region
of residence has any bearing what-so-ever on how that language shows
nothing but an over-valued sense of local importance.

Of course, in the same breath that Mx is criticizing you guys, he is
committing the same fallacy- asserting that French is an international
language on a par with English... The only people in the world who
hold French in that regard are the French, in their classic
nationalistic delusion of relevance (not to mention the centuries old
****ing contest with England they refuse to admit they lost when they
surrendered during WWII).

That said, English's standing a the world standard language of
business is far from assured, however. While the 20th century was
Exceedingly good to the British and Americans, it remains to be seen
whether or not they can retain their dominance, especially if China
turns into the economic power-house it aspires too (especially if they
succeed in undermining American Economic power in the process, as they
are actively working to do).

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

So that would come out to, what, 0.4%?

Ok, I have to admit, you made me laugh out loud with that one.

France has some of the worst English instruction, although all the
Latin countries of Europe are very poor in English.

Of course they do, teaching English would be tantamount to admitting
that the French lost their 500-year-old ****ing contest with England
started by King Henry VIII's lack of male sperm.

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
People can study a language for years without learning it.

Mostly, they find their instructor is incompetent long before they spend
years studying.

Incompetant people can claim to teach it without any of their students
actually learning anything. Fortunately, unless the teacher impersonater is
exceedingly stupid, they realize that they're not making the same amount of
money as the real teachers and find something else to do.

France has some of the worst English instruction

I don't doubt it. I suspect there are no real standards one must meet in
order to claim to be an english teacher in France.

Old July 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
auzerais v

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger...

There's no such thing as "aviation language."

There used to be.
It had a distinctive W Virginia accent and was known as "Yeager-ese".

Old July 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
William Black

"EridanMan" wrote in message
ups.com...
So that would come out to, what, 0.4%?

Ok, I have to admit, you made me laugh out loud with that one.

France has some of the worst English instruction, although all the
Latin countries of Europe are very poor in English.

Of course they do, teaching English would be tantamount to admitting
that the French lost their 500-year-old ****ing contest with England
started by King Henry VIII's lack of male sperm.

???

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old July 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Martin D. Pay

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 00:17:36 +0300, "Snowbird"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

"Mxsmanic" wrote

and they all speak perfect english

Germans who speak perfect English are extremely rare.

Not among aviators. Not as regards aviation language.

Anyway, Englishmen who speak perfect German are even rarer.

grin You all overlook the fact that English speaking perfect
English are also extremely rare...

Martin D. Pay
Yes, I'm English - and I frequently wonder at the atrocities
perpetrated on our mother-tongue by my fellow citizens...
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Martin D. Pay wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 00:17:36 +0300, "Snowbird"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:
Anyway, Englishmen who speak perfect German are even rarer.

grin You all overlook the fact that English speaking perfect
English are also extremely rare...

Martin D. Pay
Yes, I'm English - and I frequently wonder at the atrocities
perpetrated on our mother-tongue by my fellow citizens...

So what is the "Perfect English" way to pronounce "tomato"?
Is "ain't" considered a word in "Perfect English"?
For that matter, which accent is "Perfect English"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regiona...glish_speakers
http://www.otago.ac.nz/anthropology/...ds/Sounds.html
http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/collections/dialects/

And just who defines "Perfect English" and what is their e-mail address?

(Big wink on all the above.)