HAL Noordam in NYC

Old December 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
SwissCruiser

Default HAL Noordam in NYC

Dear cruise friends,
I have a few questions:
1. We are sailing on HAL Noordam out of NYC on Dec 22. I read in a
cruise review that at the terminal the lines for registration/
embarkation for those that have not registered on line prior to
sailing are much shorter than the ones that did their home work. Could
anyone confirm this or tell me how to best go about it for the NYC
cruise terminal. You may take into consideration that we are non US
citizens (or residents) so we may have to go thru a different
procedure in any case (maybe not at registration point but at
immigration).
2. Also, we arrive at JFK on Dec 21 and wanted to know if there are
any limos available outside the terminal. I am not in favor of making
reservations on beforehand because if our flight from Europe suffers
delay, we have to pay for the extra wait. In fact we had promised a
limo ride to our kids and thought that transfer to Manhattan hotel
could be a good oppportunity (instead of taking two cabs, we are six
in the party).
3. What day can I expect our docs to arrive here at our home in
Europe, we sail on Dec. 22 ?
Thanks for sending me some helpful info,
Frank
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

That info is in the vouchers from www.supertravelcompany.info/tripdeals
and from www.r8s.us as a thank you gift?
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On Dec 6, 3:25 am, SwissCruiser wrote:
[...]
limo ride to our kids and thought that tranfer to Manhattan hotel
could be a good oppportunity (instead of taking two cabs, we are six
in the party).
3. What day can I expect our docs to arrive here at our home in
Europe, we sail on Dec. 22 ?
Thanks for sending me some helpful info,
Frank

Hi, Frank,

Hopefully, some HAL Noordam / NYC experience will jump in, I am just
trying to deflect the glare of the obnoxious sales pitch.

1. Yes, if you have completed your paperwork online, your check-in
will be expedited. That doesn't mean you won't have to stand in line
until you reach an agent. It just depends on how swiftly things are
going that day and your time of arrival. My recall of cruise check-in
is that there is no separate line for non-US guests; but I am fuzzy on
that point. I think you go through the same immigration line as
everyone does, immediately after you have been checked-in by the
agent.

2. A New Yorker or informed traveler will have to answer whether there
is ready limo service at JFK or whether they can recommend a service
that reasonably handles flight delays. Because they can check flight
status with the airlines so far in advance of the appointed pick-up
time, perhaps the wait charge situation is not a factor. Note, there
is a certain meaning to the word "limo" when used at the NYC area
airports. It does not mean movie star stretch limo. Limo generally
refers to a van or other vehicle to carry a large number of people.
(I'm a country bumpkin--it surprised me the first time I visited NYC!
Your kids might have been disappointed if a shared van ride appears,
although they sure would have had a lifelong laugh over the time dad
booked them a limo.)

3. May I suggest you call HAL to find out what procedure they have in
place for getting your cruise documents at the pier in case the mailed
documents do not reach you in time? We have done pier pick-up once or
twice when the paper ones didn't reach us in time, and it was no big
deal.

I hope you have a great cruise! I am sure it will be a warm escape.
The ski season is looking grim in the US this year--no snow in the
Rockies! I'll bet you will see more Americans coming to the Alps to
ski!

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Dec 6, 8:38 am, D Ball wrote:

Hopefully, some HAL Noordam / NYC experience will jump in,

OK, I'll jump in! I'm a New Yorker and sailed Noordam last January.

1. Yes, if you have completed your paperwork online, your check-in
will be expedited. That doesn't mean you won't have to stand in line
until you reach an agent.

Diana is correct. I did online check-in *and* purposely arrived later
in the afternoon to avoid the lines only to be unpleasantly surprised.
The line was long and it took quite some time to board. I was actually
among the very last passengers to board except for very late
arrivals. So just be patient. The ship won't depart until all are
aboard. I've tried arriving early, arriving late - but the Manhattan
terminals are just not able to handle the large passenger loads.

2. A New Yorker or informed traveler will have to answer whether there is ready limo service at JFK

**** Do not accept a ride from "limo" drivers hanging around the
baggage claim offering transportation.***** You risk being ripped
off. Arrange a ride ahead of time. Here's the largest reputable fleet
operator in NYC: http://www.dial7.com Their rates are typical
for NYC.

And Diana is correct. Unless you specify "stretch limo" (and pay extra
for the option) you will get either a large sedan, minivan or small
SUV depending on your request. All fall under the term "limo."

3. May I suggest you call HAL to find out what procedure they have in
place for getting your cruise documents at the pier in case the mailed
documents do not reach you in time?

Aren't most docs and boarding passes provided online now? Even the
information provided in the "before you board" type booklets is all
available on the cruise lines' websites. Other than luggage tags, I
can't think of anything I received in the doc pouch that was
necessary. Tags are always available from the stevedores pier-side.

Warren
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Dec 6, 8:38 am, D Ball wrote:

2. A New Yorker or informed traveler will have to answer whether there
is ready limo service at JFK or whether they can recommend a service
that reasonably handles flight delays. Because they can check flight
status with the airlines so far in advance of the appointed pick-up
time, perhaps the wait charge situation is not a factor.

Diana,

I think you're right on the mark, on this one. But, I'm sure the
question can be easily answered by the limo company, either with a
quick phone call or short email. I'm pretty sure, though, that limo
services keep on top of flight arrival times - they don't want to be
sitting in the airport any more than you want to be paying them to do
that. I've not used car services at NY airports, but I have elsewhere.
I've paid for the trip, not for the amount of time the trip took
(Orlando area).

I definitely wouldn't count on there being a stretch limo (which
sounds like what you want) available for hire when you arrive. These
rides should be pre-booked, for sure.

Note, there
is a certain meaning to the word "limo" when used at the NYC area
airports. It does not mean movie star stretch limo. Limo generally
refers to a van or other vehicle to carry a large number of people.
(I'm a country bumpkin--it surprised me the first time I visited NYC!
Your kids might have been disappointed if a shared van ride appears,
although they sure would have had a lifelong laugh over the time dad
booked them a limo.)

Right, again. That's why making a specific booking for the specific
kind of vehicle you have in mind would really be the wise way to go.

Lee

Old December 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BrianK

On 12/6/2007 4:25 AM SwissCruiser plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
and said:
[...]

1. Check-in lines vary with how many passengers decided to check-in at
any given hour. This is true for folks who chose to check-in online.
Just be sure to allow enough time should there be a long line. That
means that if they pull the gangway up at 4:30 pm est don't show up at
3:45 pm est. As a rule of thumb allow at least 90 minutes or more for
embarkation processing.

In Tampa embarkation was on a Sunday. We were taking in the sights of
Tampa and lost track of time. We had no problem getting a cab from our
hotel. Downtown Tampa is a ghost town on Sundays and there was no
traffic. We arrived at check-in with only 45 minutes to spare. There
were no lines, just a handful of people checking-in. We were processed
in no time flat! I would not recommend this method for check-in. But
it would seem the closer you get to gangway-up the less time it takes to
check-in. On another occasion, in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. check-in began at
1:00 pm edt. We were there early and the lines streaked outside the
terminal and down the block! So there is probably a happy medium
sometime after the bulk of the early birds have checked-in.

If everybody flying in that day has their plane delayed then check-in
might bunch up towards the end and the start might be quicker. In
short, it's a crap-shoot.

2. I get rides from friends and relatives to the airports and cruise
ports in the NYC area. Since you are arriving the day before, check
with your hotel. They may have a free shuttle you can take from the
airport as well as ride to the cruise port. You might Google JFK and
see if there are any links for Ground Transport, for anything else.
Note: Airport Limos come in several varieties. Most expensive are the
white stretch limos that clebs ride to red carpet events. These have to
be reserved well in advance. Less expensive are Lincoln Town Cars, Town
and Country, or multi-person mini-vans. Some companies only have one
type while others may have a fleet of cars.

In the occasions that I've taken the Lincoln Town Car types reservation
was required. A good company will ask for your airline, flight number,
expected time of arrival, and terminal. Before they send the limo out,
they check to see if your flight is delayed. The dispatcher will then
adjust things accordingly. Alternatively, they may give you a toll-free
number to use should your flight be delayed.

3. When you have a question about your docs, call HAL: 1-877-SAIL HAL
(1.877.724.5425).
http://www.holandamerica.com

Also, this may be a partner of reservation agency in Switzerland...not
su

*Switzerland*
InterContact Cruises
Oberlandstrasse 12
8712 Staefa
Switzerland
Phone: +41-44-796-3131
Fax: +41-44-796-3133
Email:
Contact: Michael Tyropolis

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Val Kraut

" 2. Also, we arrive at JFK on Dec 21 and wanted to know if there are
any limos available outside the terminal. I am not in favor of making
reservations on beforehand because if our flight from Europe suffers
delay, we have to pay for the extra wait. In fact we had promised a
limo ride to our kids and thought that transfer to Manhattan hotel
could be a good oppportunity (instead of taking two cabs, we are six
in the party).

Frank,
I live on Long Island and frequently fly into JFK on business
trips. The local administration is somewhat unfriendly to Limos at the
airport. Basically there is a limited amount of space at the airport amd
they want large fees for limos to park and wait. On my normal trips I make a
reservation and then call the limo via my cell phone when I have my baggage
and am ready to exit to the curb for drive by pickup. I use Town & Country
Limo Service for Business and vacation departure service to the pier or
airport. (631) 543-0161. They track your incoming flight and have someone in
place. When you are ready and have your luggage they tell you where to wait
and the license number of the cars plate. I'm not sure how this works as
public phones are being removed, and cell phones from elsewhere may not be
set up to work here. Again if you need a stretch make sure to tell them -
otherwise you could get something like a town car that doesn't have large
capability. You are arriving a day early so a small wait at the airport
should not be a problem. You may also want to arrange a transfer to the ship
unless you have one with HAL (we usually do that from the local hotel).

Hope this helps - any other question feel free to email me. Have a great
cruise - we've done HAL the last five years and have been really happy with
them.

Val Kraut