Hotels near Manchester Victoria Train Station

Old January 28th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Ben Robert Smith

Default Hotels near Manchester Victoria Train Station

Hello,

Im hoping to visit Manchester soon and i need to stay near Manchester
Victoria Train Station. Can anybody tell me of any hotels for £60 or
under nearby apart from the Premier Inn.

Many Thanks,

Ben Smith.
Old January 29th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Arwel Parry

In message , Ben Robert
Smith writes
Hello,

Im hoping to visit Manchester soon and i need to stay near Manchester
Victoria Train Station. Can anybody tell me of any hotels for £60 or
under nearby apart from the Premier Inn.

Can't think of any immediately around Victoria Station -- are you
willing to take the tram a couple of stops? There are some hotels around
Piccadilly Gardens / Portland Street - the Britannia on the corner of
Piccadilly Gardens and Portland St seems to offer rooms at £39.95 --
it's about 7 or 8 years since I stayed there, but it was perfectly
comfortable. The Gardens hotel at 55 Piccadilly seems to have rooms at
£49.95.

Try http://www.hotelnet.co.uk/ or http://www.octopustravel.co.uk/ (they
advertise on Google, but seem to have some central Manchester hotels on
there).

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:33 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Arwel Parry wrote:

In message , Ben Robert
Smith writes
Hello,

Im hoping to visit Manchester soon and i need to stay near Manchester
Victoria Train Station. Can anybody tell me of any hotels for £60 or
under nearby apart from the Premier Inn.

Can't think of any immediately around Victoria Station -- are you
willing to take the tram a couple of stops? There are some hotels around
Piccadilly Gardens / Portland Street - the Britannia on the corner of
Piccadilly Gardens and Portland St seems to offer rooms at £39.95 --
it's about 7 or 8 years since I stayed there, but it was perfectly
comfortable. The Gardens hotel at 55 Piccadilly seems to have rooms at
£49.95.

The Britannia can be very variable, from what I've heard. (I've not
stayed there, but I've stayed at some of their other hotels, and can
certainly understand the criticism.) They also own the Sascha, which at
least from the outside is a bit quirky.

I've stayed at the Ibis hotels (both of them) in Manchester in the past
(I live here now, so don't have the need) and if you don't mind Ibis,
they fit the bill. Clean, predictable. I was just in the Glasgow one
over the weekend, and you really can't tell one of their hotel rooms
from another.

If walking isn't an issue, then you don't necessarily need to take the
tram either. It's a ten minute walk from Victoria Station to Picadilly
Gardens.

There are a number of hotels closer to Victoria- some of them quite
fancy, like the Lowry. There's one that I've passed a few times across
from the Cathedral, which looked intriguing. It's called the Mitre
Hotel. I can't vouch for it's quality though- but it's definitely in
that price range.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net