The Atomic Ocean Liner

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Default The Atomic Ocean Liner

[Default] Thus spake Charles :

In article , frijoli
wrote:

and 3 mile island

Three Mile island and also Chernobyl, don't forget that catastrophe.
Both are a good education for the public to keep in mind about nuclear
power. There is also the issue of disposing of nuclear waste. And
nuclear power plants are not cheap to build. I am not opposed to
nuclear power plants forever but as of 2010 I still don't trust any
private company, public entity or government to operate nuclear power
plants safely.

Chernobyl was a horrible design that compounded another stupid
operator induced accident.

Since TMI, how many accidents have there been in the US?
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The more I drink, the less I think. The less I think,
the better I feel. The better I feel, the more I drink.
And so goes the circle of life.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

Chernobyl was a horrible design that compounded another stupid
operator induced accident.

Since TMI, how many accidents have there been in the US?

You seem to have blind faith that the current designs are great. Sort
of like Toyota. I don't have faith in the designs or in the human
operators.

--
Charles
Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 4/2/10 11:09 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:
[Default] Thus spake :

In , frijoli
wrote:

and 3 mile island

Three Mile island and also Chernobyl, don't forget that catastrophe.
Both are a good education for the public to keep in mind about nuclear
power. There is also the issue of disposing of nuclear waste. And
nuclear power plants are not cheap to build. I am not opposed to
nuclear power plants forever but as of 2010 I still don't trust any
private company, public entity or government to operate nuclear power
plants safely.

Chernobyl was a horrible design that compounded another stupid
operator induced accident.

Since TMI, how many accidents have there been in the US?

Three Mile Island and Chernobyl are enough for me. Why don't we just
put 10,000 windmills along the Atlantic coast like they do out in
Copenhagen's Harbor?

Nuclear is unsafe simply by the fact that they NEED containment...

And if something does go very wrong (like with human error - we have
stupid operators too, or cheap components due to cost pressures, low bid
contractors, etc.) it has the potential to be catastrophic.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Tom K wrote:

accidents have there been in the US?

Three Mile Island and Chernobyl are enough for me. Why don't we just
put 10,000 windmills along the Atlantic coast like they do out in
Copenhagen's Harbor?

Because the Kennedys and others along the Atlantic Coast won't let
them because it will spoil the view and, more recently, because there
might be some interference with bird migratory patterns, and because the
noise transmitted through the towers might confuse whales and because...

Nuclear is unsafe simply by the fact that they NEED containment...

So does LNG, so does Gasoline, so does......

And if something does go very wrong (like with human error - we have
stupid operators too, or cheap components due to cost pressures, low bid
contractors, etc.) it has the potential to be catastrophic.

So does LNG, so does Gasoline, so do chemical plants. Bhopal killed
more than all nukes combined. I don't see you suggesting we get rid of
large parts of NJ

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 4/3/10 9:31 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
Tom wrote:

accidents have there been in the US?

Three Mile Island and Chernobyl are enough for me. Why don't we just
put 10,000 windmills along the Atlantic coast like they do out in
Copenhagen's Harbor?

Because the Kennedys and others along the Atlantic Coast won't let
them because it will spoil the view and, more recently, because there
might be some interference with bird migratory patterns, and because the
noise transmitted through the towers might confuse whales and because...

You can design something beautifully and aesthetically pleasing. I
doubt many people with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge complain about
the view. The windmills in Copenhagen's harbor area look gorgeous.
Just like a beautiful suspension bridge. They're spaced like a long
graceful arch.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"Tom K" wrote in message

Three Mile Island and Chernobyl are enough for me. Why don't we
just put 10,000 windmills along the Atlantic coast like they do
out in Copenhagen's Harbor?

What, and risk upsetting the mating rituals of seaguls, terns and
pellicans? Here in NV, we have thousands of square miles of
desert that is baked by the sun under a clear sky. The undulating
land is continually favored with reliable winds as well. Despite
the need of our country for energy, projects are being held up
because the solar or wind plants planned might upset the ruffled
grouse's mating habits and now (shudder) the desert tortise.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain