Currancy Exchange

Old December 19th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Peter

In article , Geoff Lillico says...
Depends upon your interpretation of the word "outback", but anywhere an
Australian would call "rural" would have an ATM and most larger outback
towns too. Do not be put off by Frank's generalisation.

Even if there isn't an ATM as such, the local service station,
supermarket, pub (sometimes they are all three in one building) will
have EFTPOS and will generally allow you to take cash out with a
purchase. Minimum amounts apply - you'd probably have to buy $10 or $20
worth of goods to use EFTPOS.

Old December 19th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Frank Slootweg

Peter wrote:
In article , Geoff Lillico says...
Depends upon your interpretation of the word "outback", but anywhere an
Australian would call "rural" would have an ATM and most larger outback
towns too. Do not be put off by Frank's generalisation.

Even if there isn't an ATM as such, the local service station,
supermarket, pub (sometimes they are all three in one building) will
have EFTPOS and will generally allow you to take cash out with a
purchase. Minimum amounts apply - you'd probably have to buy $10 or $20
worth of goods to use EFTPOS.

Guys, can you *please* pay attention? As I have mentioned umpteen
times in *this* thread, "taking cash out with a purchase" at EFTPOS does
*not* work with *foreign* (debit/credit) cards. As this is a travel
group and many people, including the OP, are not from Oz, please do not
give advice which happens to work for you, but does not work for
foreigners.

Let's make this deal: Until there is a reliable report from a
'foreigner' (with exact details about the type and brand of card (s)he
used) that it *is* possible, the Aussies in this group will refrain from
saying that it is possible to take cash out with a purchase at EFTPOS.

Old December 19th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Frank Slootweg

Geoff Lillico wrote:
Depends upon your interpretation of the word "outback", but anywhere an
Australian would call "rural" would have an ATM and most larger outback
towns too. Do not be put off by Frank's generalisation.

I was not generalizing, I was *countering* a generalization that ATMs
are "everywhere". And, obviously, I was not talking about "larger
outback towns" (whatever "larger" may mean, see below). I said
"outback". I don't know what you mean by that term, but for me that
means (very) small 'towns', if any.

But let's be specific: How do you qualify (in SA): Leigh Creek and
Hawker? They are even on a sealed road. Sorry, but no ATMs there (in end
2002). Maybe there is one in Marree (30K sealed + 70K unsealed), but we
just *came* from there. [1]

I don't understand why my sensible recommendations to be *prepared*
(i.e. have two cards and some cash) are 'greeted' with such unfounded
"don't worry" responses. Also we never had any problems until we *had*.
It was our *third* trip and after about some *25,000* K (total). I.e.
even after all this 'experience' we were still 'unprepared' for this
event. I just want to (try to) prevent that others encounter these
problems. What's wrong with that?

[1] Yes there is one in Copley (where we stayed), but that one was
closed, because it is in a bar which was closed until much later in the
day.

--
The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com
"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
george wrote:

I simply used my regular canadian bank card. Worked well in Australia
all over. Just check with your bank cirrus as well of other names on
back. I never needed to take more than $100 in local currency on
landing since BANK ATMs everywhere.

"everywhere" where *you* went! Don't assume that ATMs are "everywhere"
in Oz, because they aren't, especially not in rural areas, the outback,
etc. Hence my elaborate comments and my comments on *not* being able to
get money from EFTPOS establishments.

Old December 20th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Peter

In article , Frank Slootweg
says...
Peter wrote:
[...]

Ummm. Foreigners CAN take cash out with EFTPOS. Nobody checks passports.
You just need an Australian bank account and card. I thought that was a
given from reading the discussion.

Eftpos
Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale (EFTPOS) is an extremely
common way for Australians to pay for goods. ATM cards (from Australian
banks only) swiped at the register double as debit cards, withdrawing
money directly from your bank account. What's more, most establishments
offer EFTPOS with a cash-back option, cutting down on the number of
transactions you must perform and thereby saving you time and per-
transaction bank fees. EFTPOS is useful for travelers because it means
they can carry less cash and not have to worry about credit card bills,
so if you'll be in Australia for a while, it might make sense to open an
Australian bank account. A permanent Australian address and two or three
forms of identification are required to open an account---your home
driver's license and your passport are the most sure-fire bets---and you
can expect a routine check on your credit history. Bringing along bank
statements from home for the last three months can expedite the process
enormously; accounts can be ready in as little as an hour. Banks accept
cash or traveler's checks as initial deposits.
http://www.letsgo.com/AUS/02-Essentials-67

Old December 20th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
BTW, I checked on the (Rabobank) ATM is our small village and it
indeed has the "Plus" logo. Of course I don't know whether its
associated function *works*, because Dutch cards do not have "Plus".

That was one of the banks I went inside and the staff didn't have a clue.
:-(
The Vlissingen branch.

Anyway we are now back in Oz (since half October) and when we go to Europe
again we will never again even attempt to use the Plus facility there.

Gerrit - Oz (who thinks we should now stop about Europe travel topic in Oz
travel group) :-)