Pisa and Florence

Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Corgi bit me 'nads

Default Pisa and Florence

thinking about a City trip, is Pisa or Florence more interesting to
stay in ??

I imagine getting between the 2 is no great problem.....

Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Venthi

"Corgi bit me 'nads" wrote in message
ups.com...

thinking about a City trip, is Pisa or Florence more interesting to
stay in ?? I imagine getting between the 2 is no great problem.....

Although there is much to see in both of them, they throb with throngs of
the great unwashed on day visits. You might consider staying in Lucca, a
much more pleasant place to spend your evenings with much nicer people than
you are likely to come into contact with in Florence.

Pisa's tourist spot is centred on the Duomo so the rest of the city is quite
peaceful.

Lucca is about half way between the two and very accessible by public
transport to both of the other cities.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Dwerryhouse

"Corgi bit me 'nads" writes:

thinking about a City trip, is Pisa or Florence more interesting to
stay in ??

Florence is a lot bigger, so there's probably much more to keep you occupied.
On the other hand, that makes it quite a bit more chaotic, so if you're looking
for a relaxing place to stay, maybe Pisa would be better

I imagine getting between the 2 is no great problem.....

An hour by train. Wasn't a problem, from what I remember...

--
Paul Dwerryhouse | PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
Paul's travel photos:
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

Corgi bit me 'nads wrote:
thinking about a City trip, is Pisa or Florence more interesting to
stay in ??

I imagine getting between the 2 is no great problem.....

Both are rewarding (if you have enough time there are many other
interesting places in that area, such as Siena and San Gimignano), but
Florence has more to see.

Pisa is more than just the Leaning Tower, but Florence has many of the
greatest Renaissance artworks in its museums, churches and palaces, and
if you are interested in art you will definitely be impressed.
Florence's Uffizi Gallery is one of the five most important museums of
Western art in the world.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected][_1_]

Corgi bit me 'nads wrote:
thinking about a City trip, is Pisa or Florence more interesting to
stay in ??

Really depends upon you. Florence is larger, probably has more
day visitors overall, so you'll be part of the throng. Flip side is
that
Pisa may have fewer, but concentrated in a smaller city. At night,
Florence may have more choices for dinner and may be more
enjoyable in general. Pisa may be a bit quiter and less crowded
such that getting into restaurants may be easier.

I imagine getting between the 2 is no great problem.....

Basically. I don't know how many days you intend to spend,
but you could decide to stay in both if you have a few days. For
that matter, there are places you'll be going by that are worth
a day or so as well.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am 22 Aug 2006 03:10:55 -0700 schrieb Corgi bit me 'nads:

thinking about a City trip, is Pisa or Florence more interesting to
stay in ??

I done that two years ago on a weekend trip with Ryanair. The airport of
Pisa is right in the city center, we only paid about 5 EUR for the taxi to
the hotel. Florence has an airport as well, but its far outside.

Pisa is a rather small town, so you can easily walk around everywhere.
Besides the leaning tower, where it is very touristy, you'll find the town
very nice and typical. There is a big University and lots of small, rather
cheap restaurants near the Campus and down by the river, where you can eat
and enjoy the athmosphere. Very different from the typical tourist-traps at
the tower.

I imagine getting between the 2 is no great problem.....

Thats what we did one day - it only takes 45 - 60 minutes by train from
Pisa to Florence. You can just get the tickets at the station, trains go
every few minutes. Of course theres much more to see in Florence (I've been
there twice before, so this time I opted for Pisa), but at the same time it
is much more busy and crowded.

BtW, in Pisa we stayed at Hotel "Verdi", a nice 3-star that is build in the
walls of an old monastary. We paid about 120 EUR/night (inkl, breakfast)
for a room for 3 persons:
http://www.pisaonline.it/HotelVerdi/
Quite nice, quit location and about 15 minutes to walk to the tower IIRC.

Regards,

Frank
Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

Corgi bit me 'nads wrote:

thinking about a City trip, is Pisa or Florence more interesting to
stay in ??

It depends on your interests, but for me, Florence, hands down.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

I imagine getting between the 2 is no great problem.....

Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
jim[_1_]

This is good advice

We were in florence and pisa last year. Train good. You can also get a
service bus up to on of the villages where you get a great view of the area
for a few euros.
If i had to choose it must be florence it has a buzz, Go up the dommo well
worth the sweat.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Corgi bit me 'nads

Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:
Am 22 Aug 2006 03:10:55 -0700 schrieb Corgi bit me 'nads:

thinking about a City trip, is Pisa or Florence more interesting to
stay in ??

I done that two years ago on a weekend trip with Ryanair. The airport of
Pisa is right in the city center, we only paid about 5 EUR for the taxi to
the hotel. Florence has an airport as well, but its far outside.

this airport ? :-
Amerigo Vespucci Airport is situated on the north-west outskirts of
Florence, just 4 kilometres from the city centre. It is a 15- to
20-minute journey into the centre by taxi or the SITA/ATAF bus shuttle
operating between the airport and the central railway station

Old August 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
vluggertje

Ken Blake wrote:
Corgi bit me 'nads wrote:

thinking about a City trip, is Pisa or Florence more interesting to
stay in ??

It depends on your interests, but for me, Florence, hands down.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

I imagine getting between the 2 is no great problem.....

thanks for the replies, I will wait until I have at least 4 clear days
for this trip (I would have had only 1 day in each)