Corrupt Greek System "SCAMS" 10,000 Euros from 2 teenaged Tourists

Old September 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM posted to soc.culture.greek,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel.greece,uk.legal
King Seanie, MASTER of all grik slaves

Default Corrupt Greek System "SCAMS" 10,000 Euros from 2 teenaged Tourists

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/display.var.898182.0.0.php

Family claim 'scam' over Greek jail bail
By Sara Nelson

Beverley-Ann Smith with her sons Liam, 19, and Sean, 18

A MOTHER forced to pay £5,500 to release her sons from a Greek prison
says she has been scammed.

Beverley Smith handed over the cash after her sons were jailed on
"bogus" robbery charges just hours after arriving in the country.

Liam and Sean Smith were travelling to their hotel in Kavos on August
15 when their coach stopped at a supermarket.

Liam, 19, went in to the shop to buy cigarettes while Sean, 18, waited
outside.

But when Liam returned to the shop to buy a can of beer, the shopkeeper
claimed to have been robbed.

A tourist who understood some Greek commented the shopkeeper was
claiming he had been robbed by "a black man".

Sean, who went to The Priory School, Tintagel Road, Orpington, and
Liam, who was home-schooled, continued on to the hotel, but were later
asked to go a police station and give statements.

On arrival, they saw the shopkeeper who told the police Liam had stolen
100 euros from him.

Liam Smith, 19, and 18-year-old Sean were arrested on holiday in Greece

Liam was immediately locked up.

On the same afternoon the shopkeeper then claimed Sean had also taken
part - adding the teenagers had been armed with knives.

Sean was also jailed and the brothers were told they were facing armed
robbery charges.

The brothers spent four nights in a cell in Asfalia prison.

Liam, a scaffolder, said: "It was the dirtiest place I have ever been.

"There was blood and faeces up the walls and cockroaches running
everywhere.

"I thought I was looking at 25 years for buying some cigarettes.

"All we ever heard from the lawyer was How much bail can you raise?'
"The British Consulate was useless - they told me to calm down and bide
my time.

"I thought that was it. I have a 16-month-old daughter and thought I
would never see her again."

Mother-of-four Beverley-Anne Smith, of Kedleston Drive, Orpington,
said: "It was ludicrous. How could it go from him claiming to have been
robbed by one black man to two white boys?"

Ms Smith, 47, contacted the British Consulate in Corfu, but says it
told her it was a police matter and it could not help.

She arrived in Greece the following day and met with a lawyer.

Ms Smith said: "He told me we were looking at £20,000 bail for each of
my boys.

"I told him I didn't have that sort of money so he kept asking me how
much bail I could raise.

"I said I could probably get around £3,000 then he suddenly said I
could pay £1,500 per boy."

Ms Smith was also told she had to pay £1,000 for the case to be heard
at all.

Despite three witnesses who would testify Liam had not committed any
crime and Sean had not entered the shop, the judge took evidence from
only the bus driver.

After the hearing, Ms Smith says she was told to pay £3,000 in cash to
bail both her sons and £1,500 to the lawyer.

She said: "After paying bail the lawyer just told me to take the boys
home.

"It was very odd the bail amounts suddenly changed but there was no
guarantee my boys were even coming back so I paid it and we fled.

"I feel disgusted and horrified. We were scammed. The day they were
released I became very ill. I had had to be strong for them but
afterwards, I just fell apart.

"I felt absolutely helpless, there was no-one we could rely on. We had
to put our trust in other tourists and ask them to give up their
holiday and come to court as witnesses.

"Any youngsters who go out there have to understand this could happen
to them. It all boiled down to money, which is all anyone wanted to
talk about."

Liam said: "I will always be angry about it. I only went on holiday
with my brother and I ended up in prison. I will never go back."

Sean said: "We were charged with armed robbery but we were the ones who
were robbed. I will never forgive them for what they did."

A spokesman for the Foreign Office confirmed it is aware of the case
but declined to discuss it in detail, citing "consular confidentiality
reasons".

The Greek Embassy was unavailable for comment.

9:13am Wednesday 30th August 2006

Old September 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM posted to soc.culture.greek,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel.greece,uk.legal
eXelstar

[...]

So what is your point Brit asshole?No more cock for you fagboi
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM posted to soc.culture.greek,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel.greece,uk.legal
[email protected]

King Seanie, MASTER of all grik slaves wrote:

Family claim 'scam' over Greek jail bail
By Sara Nelson

Beverley-Ann Smith with her sons Liam, 19, and Sean, 18

A MOTHER forced to pay £5,500 to release her sons from a Greek prison
says she has been scammed.

Beverley Smith handed over the cash after her sons were jailed on
"bogus" robbery charges just hours after arriving in the country.

Liam and Sean Smith were travelling to their hotel in Kavos on August
15 when their coach stopped at a supermarket.

LIAM and SEAN ??!!

I rest my case m'lud. Is their sister called Tracey, by any chance, or
Sharon?

B;

Old September 1st, 2006, 04:55 PM posted to soc.culture.greek,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel.greece,uk.legal
King Seanie, MASTER of all grik slaves

Tourist faces jail for showing buttocks

Faliraki is popular with young British tourists
A 20-year-old tourist from south Wales has been told he faces a year in
a Greek jail for dropping his trousers while on holiday in the resort
of Faliraki.
The Foreign Office confirmed that 20-year-old Matthew Maloney had been
arrested and appeared in court on Monday evening.

The resort of Faliraki on the island of Rhodes, has again been in the
headlines this week after five holiday reps were arrested for
encouraging illegal pub crawls.

All charged against the five have since been dropped.

Just a week before a British teenager died after being slashed in the
neck with a broken bottle during a brawl.

He is in jail on Kos until he can raise the 3,100 euros

Greek Embassy spokesman

And earlier this month, 29-year-old Matthew Benney, from Dunvant, near
Swansea, died after being hit by a bin truck in the resort.

Greek authorities are investigating claims that Mr Benney may have ran
under the truck for a bet.

The debauched behaviour of British holidaymakers on the island has led
Greek police to take what they describe as a "tough stance".

The Foreign Office said that on Monday night, Mr Maloney was given a
choice of a year in jail on the neighbouring island of Kos or to pay a
fine of 3,100 euros - equivalent to just over £2,000.

A spokesman added: "He's been charged with dropping his trousers on the
street in Faliraki.

"His family has been contacted by consulate staff and they're trying to
raise the money.

"He can decide to pay the fine or take the custody."

A spokesman for the Greek Embassy in the UK said that Mr Maloney would
remain in jail until he could raise the money for the fine.

He added: "I can confirm that Matthew Maloney, 20, was arrested on 15
August in Faliraki.

"He was charged in respect of an offence of public decency.

"He is in jail on Kos until he can raise the 3,100 euros."

It is understood Mr Maloney had been staying at the Constantina Hotel,
in Faliraki.

Spy case plane-spotter pleads for freedom from Greek jail

Helena Smith in Athens
Sunday November 18, 2001
The Observer

A plane-spotter who is one of 12 Britons being held in two of Greece's
notoriously overcrowded prisons on suspicion of spying yesterday made
an emotional plea for their freedom.
In a telephone call to his sister, Antoni Adamiak described the filthy
conditions at Nafplion, 80 miles from Athens.

Bank worker Adamiak, 36, who lives in London, told her: 'I am so
frightened. The situation is getting desperate now.'

Yesterday the 11 men and one woman were separated and moved from their
cells in a police station to jails in other parts of the country.

Lesley Coppin, 51, was being held last night in Athens' high security
Kory dallos prison where conditions are particularly dire. It has a
reputation for violence.

Adamiak told his sister, Maria Kennedy, that conditions were much worse
at Nafplion and his morale had 'plummeted'.

'What is worrying him most is why they have moved them. Now they are in
a proper jail, does that mean they intend to keep them for ages?' said
Kennedy.

'My brother said that before they were transferred from Kalamata the
guards switched the water off so they couldn't drink or go to the
toilet for hours. They were in transit to the new place for seven hours
and all they got to eat all day was some potatoes and onions in the
evening.'

'When he got to his cell, he found his bed was a filthy mattress lying
on the floor, about a quarter of the thickness of a normal one.

'He is sharing the room with three Greek men. I don't think they speak
any English but they have been quite civil to him.'

British consul Donald Holder said that Coppin was 'in terrible shock'
and was 'very depressed because she has been separated from her
husband'.

The fate of the 12, who are all fighter jet enthusiasts, will be
decided tomorrow by Socrates Gavallas, an investigating magistrate in
Kalamata.

The Britons, who were on a 10-day excursion organized by the Coppins's
Sussex-based company Touchdown Tours, could face sentences of up to 10
years.

The group was arrested eight days ago after attending an airshow at a
military installation near Kalamata. Greek airforce officers apparently
became 'suspicious' when the spotters started taking pictures of planes
and recording their arrival and departure times in notebooks.

The allegations of espionage worsened when the developed films showed
that the 12 had also visited other installations, including a Nato
airbase in the southern Peloponnese.

Tomorrow Gavallas will consult them to see whether any of the evidence
'compromises Greece's national security', Yiannis Sakarias, one of the
Britons' two lawyers, said. 'Our hope is that once he reads the reports
he will reduce the crime to a misdemeanour and release the defendants,'
Sakarias told The Observer .

The Greek airforce, which first pressed the charges, has adopted an
particularly hard-line approach, officials said.

Underlining the urgency of the case, Gavallas took the surprise step
last Thursday of appointing a committee of airforce officers to examine
the collated material.

The Thessaloniki 7 have been released!

On 26 Nov at 4.00 p.m Greek time, a Judge Council of Thessaloniki ruled
that the Thessaloniki 7 are to be set free, with the only provision
that they don't leave Greece until the trial.

More info:
http://athens.indymedia.org/?lang=en - indymedia Athens

http://thessaloniki.indymedia.org/fe...php3?target=en -
Thessaloniki indymedia

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2003/10/279741.html - UK indymedia

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2003/09/278180.html - indymedia
prisoners support

http://www.freesimonchapman.org - Free Simon Chapman Campaign

5 Anti capitalist prisoners, inprisoned on false charges in Greece are
on hungerstrike demanding their release on bail.

Suleiman Dakduk, Carlos Martinez, Fernando Perez, Simon Chapman and
Spiros Tsitsas have now been without food for between 42 and 59 days
and their condition is looking critical. An appeal for bail on
humanitarian grounds was entered on Thursday 20 Nov. and a decision is
hoped for soon but things are looking pretty grim and more pressure is
needed on the Greek Authorities.

LATEST PRESS RELEASE - Monday 24 November 2003

Thessaloniki Prisoners Support Group

GREEK GOVERNMENT DECISION TO 'LET THEM DIE'

The Greek government has today reached a decision not to release on
bail the Thessaloniki hungerstrikers.

The hungerstrikers' lawyer in Greece, is currently going through a
seventy page document released by the Justice Ministry, and we shall be
sending out a synopsis from him later. This decision, coming after
three separate bail appeals (also all turned down), effectively
condemns the hungerstrikers to death.

Governments all over the world are loathe to back down to
hungerstrikes; however the political consequences of this decision will
be severe.

Recently surfaced video footage from a private Greek television channel
shows the police filling up black rucksacks with petrol bombs at the
demonstration where the prisoners now known as the 'Thessaloniki Seven'
were arrested. These black bags, which the police claim belonged to
those arrested, are the only evidence against the hungerstrikers that
the authorities have.

This damning exposition of 'Greek Justice' is in addition to the
photographic and video evidence, from Reuters, AP and Greek state news
television ET3, which conclusively proves that one of the
hungerstrikers, Simon Chapman from London, was 'stitched-up' by the
police, with them swapping his blue bag for a black one; please visit
www.freesimonchapman.org/evidence to see this evidence for yourself.

At this critical and desperate time, we urge everybody in Britain to
put pressure on the Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw, to intervene to save
the life of Simon Chapman and the other hungerstrikers. This is easily
within his power; after the original arrests, the US government
intervened to get one of the (then) 'Thessaloniki Eight', with
identical charges, released on bail immediately.

We wonder why our own government is showing not showing the same
compassion for one of their citizens.

Latest Press Release
Demo Report
Action
Background info & Links

DEMO REPORT - Saturday 8 November.

On Saturday (8th November) supporters protested outside the Greek
Ambassadors residence, next to the US Embassy, in support for Simon
Chapman and the Thessaloniki prisoners, five of who are on hunger
strike.

Around 80 protesters held banners, placards and chanted slogans in
solidarity with the Thessaloniki 7 and with international days of
action in Athens.

The ambassador, who was home, refused to open the door and face
questions and demands for the release of the prisoners.

A re-enactment of Simon Chapman's arrest was performed by a street
theatre company together with the Rhythms of Resistance Samba Band made
for very nosy and visual demo. Leaflets outlining the campaign to free
Simon Chapman were given out to passers by and local residents. The
reaction was positive and many who had heard of the case in the news
where supportive. ITV London news sent a film crew and the protest was
the main story on that evening's news.

The action evolved into an impromptu march to the Greek tourist office
where several Police Tactical Support units were waiting. Police
cordoned off the area to prevent the march entering Regent Street. Some
aggressive PC's drew batons and attempted to break up the protest.
After a brief standoff the action ended peacefully.

More protests and actions are planned.

Photo: Guy Smallman

Photo: Guy Smallman

Action Plan
If any of the hungerstrikers falls into a coma or dies there will be a
demo at 4pm the same day at:
Greek Tourist Board.
4 Conduit St (off Regents St)
WC1
(Or organise your own event if you live outside London)

To write to the prisoners:

Carlos, Fernando and Spiros have now been moved to Nikeas hospital in
Athens.
The others are in Koridallos prison where they can recieve mail at

Kratoumeno (prisoners name here)
Fylakes Koridallos
Athens, Greece
(put a return address on the back of the envelope or it won't get
through)

Write to the Greek Embassy:
Embassy of Greece
1a Holland Park
London

Text Alerts
A phone tree is being set up to relay emergency information quickly. If
you want to be on it email your phone number to this address:
- (Mobile is best as we can
send mass texts easily).

Background Information:

Simon was arrested on Saturday June 21st at the anti-EU demonstration
in Thessaloniki, Greece. He was by the anti-authoritarian block march
which left the occupied university at around 5.00pm. Initial scuffles
broke out between the police and part of the march with the police
responding with hundreds of cannisters of CS gas and other chemical
weapons. Simon was caught up in this attack by the police and was
overcome by teargas. A police snatch squad then went for simon and
proceeded to kick him in the head and face repeatedly. At this point
Simon was wearing a distinctive blue and purple rucksack as a photo
taken by Reuters shows. His bag was subsequently taken by undercover
police who proceeded to place three black rucksacks of molotov
cocktails near him as a photo taken by AP shows. In addition to this
evidence, a film footage moments after the initial contact with the
police shows clearly undercover police placing the bags full of
molotovs near Simon as well as placing a hammer and pickaxe handle in
the bags. The Greek authorities claim that Simons blue and purple
rucksack does not exist.

As it stands Simon and six others are temporarily imprisoned and
charged with resisting authority, construction and possesion of
molotovs, arson, serious damage to property and riot which could
theoritically mean a prison sentence of between 7 and 25 years. Their
cases could take up to 18 months to come to trial. All seven have so
far had 3 bail appeals rejected by the prosecutor, who has refused to
look at the video and photographic evidence. At the time of writing all
7 prisoners remain in prison on hunger strike. Their demands a bail
for all seven, and that one of the prisoners, Suleiman "Castro" Dakduk
- a Syrian who has been living in exile in Crete for 18 years, and who
is now threatened with deportation back to Syria where he faces torture
and imprisonment for trade union activity - be allowed to remain in
Greece.

Video footage screened on Greek national news proving Simon's
innocence available on
http://www.freesimonchapman.org/

Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:00 AM posted to soc.culture.greek,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel.greece,uk.legal
Mhitsos**

Default Corrupt Greek System "SCAMS" 4,500 Euros from 2 teenaged robers

King Seanie, MASTER of all grik slaves wrote:
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/display.var.898182.0.0.php

"I said I could probably get around £3,000 then he suddenly said I
could pay £1,500 per boy."

Ms Smith was also told she had to pay £1,000 for the case to be heard
at all.

Despite three witnesses who would testify Liam had not committed any
crime and Sean had not entered the shop, the judge took evidence from
only the bus driver.

After the hearing, Ms Smith says she was told to pay £3,000 in cash to
bail both her sons and £1,500 to the lawyer.

She said: "After paying bail the lawyer just told me to take the boys
home.

"It was very odd the bail amounts suddenly changed but there was no
guarantee my boys were even coming back so I paid it and we fled.

It does not pay to rob a shop in Greece.
Even if you have friends backing up your " story ".
They fled because they were guilty.
I remember one other case were 3 Italians were selling drugs.
The police gave them the possibility to flee the country.
There is no meaning in feeding Italian drug dealers in a Greek jail.
So it is cheaper to let them go but they can never enter Greece again.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:08 PM posted to soc.culture.greek,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel.greece,uk.legal
sar3

Default ’Police didn’t help us’ after car crash in Bromley

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/display.var.898151.0.0.php

‘Police didn’t help us’ after car crash
By Sara Nelson

Nicholas Symes, 18, is unhappy police did not help him get his friends out
of the car after the smash BR5232

A TEENAGER says he feels lucky to be alive after the car he was travelling
in was hit by a police van.

Nicholas Symes was a passenger in a Fiat Punto along with two other
friends when it was hit by the van in Widmore Road, Bromley.

The trio were crossing the junction with Tweedy Road when their car was
struck by the van.

Mr Symes, of Freelands Road, Bromley, said: "The van must have been doing
between 50mph and 60mph when it hit us.
continued...

"The lights were flashing but the siren only started seconds before the
crash.

"Our engine caught fire and the car filled with smoke. Both my friends
passed out.

"The police who came to the scene went straight to the van but didn't help
us at all. I had to drag my friends out."

Two ambulances attended the accident, as well as a fast response car and a
fire engine, which put out the blaze.

Mr Symes was treated for cuts and bruises to his hips and legs and was
taken to Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough, along with both
his friends, following the crash at 11.20pm on August 24.

The 18-year-old said: "Our car is a write-off. One of the ambulance crew
said it was a million-to-one chance I would walk away from it, but I did.
Obviously someone up there wants me to live."

The former Ravensbourne School pupil added: "I feel lucky to be alive.

"We should look up to the police but not when they behave like this."

A Bromley police spokesman said: "The van was responding to a call from
another officer when the collision took place.

"The driver has been relieved from driving duties while the matter is
investigated, as is standard.

"Collisions involving anyone, particularly police vehicles, are very
unfortunate but we are grateful the injuries suffered by both parties were
minor."
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM posted to soc.culture.greek,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel.greece,uk.legal
sar3

Default Dead maggots and flies in supermarket freezer at Bromley, London

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/display.var.890136.0.0.php

Disgust at maggots in supermarket freezer
By Sara Nelson

A MOTHER has vowed to boycott a supermarket after claiming to find dead
maggots and flies in the frozen food section.

Rebecca Wallis was shopping at Sainsbury's in Walter's Yard, Bromley, when
her seven-year-old son Thomas told her he could see the creatures in the
frozen chips section.

The 29-year-old notified the store manager immediately but says she was
not happy with his response.
continued...

Miss Wallis, of Ballamore Road, Bromely, said: "The manager came over and
asked one of the staff to clear out the freezer.

"But he didn't start until 10 minutes later. In this time customers were
still buying frozen chips.

"We were amazed the manager didn't advise them about the situation but he
just shrugged it off.

"So we told the other customers what we had seen and they were appalled."

Miss Wallis says she was so disgusted with the store's attitude she left
her shopping and went to another supermarket.

She said: "I felt sick. The manager's attitude absolutely stank. It seemed
like he couldn't give a monkey's.

"He gave us no apology or explanation.

"He didn't seem to be taking it seriously at all.

"My partner and I have been using Sainsbury's for more than 30 years
between us but a situation as serious as this has made us reconsider our
loyalties."

Miss Willis has also made a complaint to Bromley Council's Environmental
Health Department, which says it is looking into the matter.

A spokesman for Sainsbury's said: "Following Miss Wallis' visit to the
store we called a pest control agency to carry out an investigation, but
there is no sign of infestations. All Sainsbury's fridges are cleaned on a
regular basis, however they have all been thoroughly cleaned again.

"Delivering healthy, safe, fresh and tasty food is our priority."

Since speaking to News Shopper, Miss Wallis says the manager has been back
in touch and has promised her a written apology.

She said: "He also said he would write to formally invite me back to the
store but I don't think I'll be taking him up on it."
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:14 PM posted to soc.culture.greek,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel.greece,uk.legal
Alan[_1_]

"sar3" wrote in message
reenews.net...

[...]

well you know what to do when you next see the police wanting help

Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM posted to soc.culture.greek,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc,alt.travel.greece,uk.legal
Dave Frightens Me

On 02 Sep 2006 18:11:38 GMT, sar3 wrote:

Miss Wallis says she was so disgusted with the store's attitude she left
her shopping and went to another supermarket.

Gosh, that's some serious disgust.

Don't ever let it be said the Brits don't know how to complain!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com