Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 8th, 2007, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look elsewhere.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.
Old November 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look elsewhere.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.

This is a big subject for debate. Just check this newsgroup's archives
on groups.google.com for what was already said.

Here's the short version ...

Tipping is not a requirement in the USA; however, if you don't tip in
full service restaurants, bars, and buffets, you are screwing the people
who serve your food out of their pay. Unlike where you live, restaurant
workers in the United States depend on tips for their livelihood. These
people are not "expecting free money" from you, they are expecting to be
paid for the work they do far you. Knowing this, I suggest you proceed
with the golden rule, to treat the waitstaff the way you would want to
be treated if the situation was reversed.

If tipping poses a financial problem for you, then you have an easy
option to avoid it. Do not eat at full service restaurants and bars.
Stick with fast food places and take out or buy food at grocery stores
to eat.
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
Qanset wrote:

[...]

Fair enough, but If I was in that situation I would definitely seek
more suitable employment. Fortunately here in Australia, Hospitality
staff dont always have to rely on tipping

If tipping poses a financial problem for you, then you have an easy
option to avoid it. Do not eat at full service restaurants and bars.
Stick with fast food places and take out or buy food at grocery stores
to eat.

I did this on my first trip when backpacking around USA.
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On Nov 9, 3:45 pm, Qanset wrote:
Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
Qanset wrote:

[...]

Backpacker. That explains it.

Here's the reality. Waiters and similar staff are paid close to
nothing. They depend on tips to live. Tipping is so complete and
common that the IRS assumes they're getting tips and taxes them for
it, whether they get them or not.

That's just the way it's done in the US. If you can't afford it, stay
home.

Old November 10th, 2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_3_]

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Here's the reality. Waiters and similar staff are paid close to
nothing. They depend on tips to live. Tipping is so complete and
common that the IRS assumes they're getting tips and taxes them for
it, whether they get them or not.

That's just the way it's done in the US. If you can't afford it, stay
home.

Is there no such thing as a Minimum Wage in the home of the brave and the
land of the free? Here in the UK, the legal minimum wage for workers over
age 21 is GBP 5.52 per hour, which is the equivalent of US $11.60 per hour.
--

JohnT

Old November 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp

JohnT wrote:
"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Here's the reality. Waiters and similar staff are paid close to
nothing. They depend on tips to live. Tipping is so complete and
common that the IRS assumes they're getting tips and taxes them for
it, whether they get them or not.

That's just the way it's done in the US. If you can't afford it, stay
home.

Is there no such thing as a Minimum Wage in the home of the brave and
the land of the free? Here in the UK, the legal minimum wage for workers
over age 21 is GBP 5.52 per hour, which is the equivalent of US $11.60
per hour.

Yes, there is a federal minimum wage. From
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics...imum-wage.htm:

The federal minimum wage for covered, nonexempt employees is $5.85 per
hour effective July 24, 2007...

Some states specify a higher minimum wage.

However, tips may be assumed to comprise part of the minimum wage. From
http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm:

.... An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an
hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at
least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the
employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in
tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of
at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the
employer must make up the difference.

Louis
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

Here's the reality. Waiters and similar staff are paid close to
nothing. They depend on tips to live....

That's just the way it's done in the US. If you can't afford it, stay
home.

Is there no such thing as a Minimum Wage in the home of the brave and the
land of the free?

There is, but for restaurant workers, it includes an assumed miminum
amount of tips. Really, if you don't tip your waiter, it's like you
walked out without paying.

Old November 19th, 2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
DevilsPGD

In message Col from Shell
wrote:

Or instead visit first-world countries where the employers pay their
staff a decent living wage.

Most of the wait staff I know in Canada and the US are well paid, it's
simply that part of that payment comes from the restaurant and part
directly from the customer.
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message Col from Shell
wrote:

Or instead visit first-world countries where the employers pay their
staff a decent living wage.

Most of the wait staff I know in Canada and the US are well paid, it's
simply that part of that payment comes from the restaurant and part
directly from the customer.

Tipping is institutionalized lying about the cost of product and
service.

Regards,
Greg.P.
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DaveM

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:51:16 +1100, Col from Shell wrote:

Or instead visit first-world countries where the employers pay their
staff a decent living wage. Don't listen to this "stay at home" ****
from rednecks who doubtless have stickers on the back of their pickup
trucks that say "America: Love It or Leave It". You know the type...

******. That's not a reflection on your opinions - I haven't read them. It's
for cross-posting this thread to alt.nuke.the.usa.

And it applies to the rest of you sorry cross-posters, too.

DaveM